2000 Legion - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 04:38 AM Thread Starter

Gannon's Flag is: USA

Default 2000 Legion

After reading Legion I think I've found my next army. Here's a test list I wrote up:

HQ
1-Alpharius (CSM Sorcerer)
-Operative Misdirection (counts as Mark of Slaanesh and Lash of Submission)
-Stealth Armor (counts as Jump Pack)
-Homing Beacon (counts as Personal Icon)

TROOP
10-Chaos Space Marine Squad x 4
-Lascannon
-Flamer

ELITE
8-Stealth Squad (counts as Chosen) x 2
-Melta Gun x 3
Aspiring Champion
-Power Fist
Rhino Transport

FAST ATTACK
8-Stealth Squad (count as Raptors) x 2
-Melta Gun
Aspiring Champion
-Power Weapon
*Note-one of these squads actually has 7 members, the Sorcerer Lord joins or deep strikes both of them in around him.*

HEAVY SUPPORT
6-Havocs x 2
-Missle Launcher x 3

Total 1998
Models 84
Kill Points 11

The basic premise is to cover fire while Elites and Fast Attack move in. Once the Elites and FA are in the mix, the CSM Squads can move up if needed or continue laying down fire. These tactics can change depending on the enemy I am facing.

In the case that Infiltration or Outflanking is used by the Chosen Stealth Squad the Rhino's are there to confuse my opponent or transport a CSM Squad. (I can't remember if you can outflank and mount in vehicle at the same time right now).

Lascannons are in the CSM Squads for Anti Tank as are the meltas in the other squads. Havocs fill the either/or role.

Alpharius can be set up alone or with one Raptor Stealth Squad. Raptors can either set up on board or DS as needed.

WARGEAR
Operative Misdirection-I chose to use MoS and Lash as this seemed the most obvious choice to make with this themed army. The 'counts as' rule allows me to use this as an alternative to psychic powers.

Stealth Armor (Jump Pack) on the Lord and Raptors-I figured this would keep the enemy from fully seeing the squads in some way or another allowing them to reach their objectives faster.

Stealth Armor (Infiltration) on the Chosen-Infiltration is an automatic plus so Stealth Armor would work a little differently. Scouting ahead and taking their time to outflank or get in closer is the Legions way.

I've pretty much went with the old adage of take two of everything in case the first gets blown up, you'll have one more to fall back on.

Other thoughts on this is including Daemons as Initiate Operatives. I'd like to steer clear of using actual Daemons, Greater Daemons, or Daemon Princes. This would of course count out Obliterators and Possessed as well.

C&C to death please...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 05:15 AM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

I am going to be straight up with you. I dislike this list, I say this because its not my style. I do like its originality though defiantly different. I could say change this and change that but then the whole list would be different which I don't want to do because i find discouraging someone is not the objective of these threads. I will say this though your tactics are what will make or break games for you. This list is very fragile and if you suffer to many casualties early on it will hurt you in the end.

Ill end with a Good luck sir and I would defiantly be interested in a situation report if you field this list!

Cheers,

Chaosftw
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 05:35 AM

Wouldn't Alpharius better to represented with stats of a daemon prince considering he is a primarch?

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 06:35 AM Thread Starter

Chaos-Thanks for the comment. Please expand on the fragility portion of your statement. My initial thinking was at 84 PA saves with a good possibility of cover, outflankers/infiltrators, and Deepstrikers it would be a hard list to contend with. Thoughts?

WDWC-Not sure if you've read Legion, but if not, grab it up and you'll understand the concept a little more. I'd rather not spoil anything for you
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 07:06 AM
U Mad Bro?

Chaosftw's Flag is: Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannon View Post
Chaos-Thanks for the comment. Please expand on the fragility portion of your statement. My initial thinking was at 84 PA saves with a good possibility of cover, outflankers/infiltrators, and Deepstrikers it would be a hard list to contend with. Thoughts?
well from that perspective I agree you have a lot to deal with. I am not saying in any way the list is not do-able im just saying that timing is so critical that if something goes wrong it could be the end for your army and thus it will just fold over. I guess I always try to avoid a lot of deep strikes and relying on chance, because i find (as i am sure you know) its never a grantee which means one shitty dice roll, or entering on the wrong side leads to a instant cripple in your army and your tactic.

For example, I played a death wing army (I play chaos too) He had 7 squads of termies at 2k points. the way deployment we started with 2 troops and a HQ on the board. On his first deep strike 2 of his 4 reserves were suppose to come in. 1 goes back into reserve and one comes out. He shoots kills 2 of my marines. His second turn everything comes on for him (@#$%!!) Then the scatters come. 3 out of his 4 reserve squads land on misshap and are destroyed. Now his army is 3 squads short so he is basically playing me now at around 1250 vs my full 2000 - 46 points (the 2 rines he killed) the game was a complete massacre for the simple fact he was vastly out numbered.

Basically all I am saying Leaving the majority of your army to chance that it will go in your favor is risky. FUN!!! ... but risky.

Again, Best of luck man! Defiantly give it a go, I would love to read the outcome!

Cheers,

Chaosftw
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-12-09, 12:35 PM

Quote:
WDWC-Not sure if you've read Legion, but if not, grab it up and you'll understand the concept a little more. I'd rather not spoil anything for you
Well Legion was the only Heresy book I got too bored of to finish so I guess I'll never know. Unless your talking about the twin primarch which would still have the fighting abilities of a primarch but i guess not since your army revolves around stealth squads.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-09, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Chaos-Wow that's tough on the DW player. Thanks for the input, I'll mull your suggestions around a little and see what i come up with. Again, each opponent I face will determine my tactics and deployment options. As for scattering, wouldn't the personal icon negate the ill effects of this situation? I can completely see your point on the total randomness of the reserves. If there were only something to allow me to re-roll reserves rolls... Maybe I could drum up something using the SM Codex instead. This may give me a few more options to work with. Thanks again and I'll keep you updated.

WDWC-Ah I see. Too bad, I thought it was a good read. Well, the IC is named Alpharius due to all AL Marines introducing themselves as such.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-09, 02:57 AM

Inquisitor Malaclypse's Flag is: Honduras

Chaosftw got it right.

and on the grounds of being repetitive, i think Alpha Legion is best represented by standard marines due to their tactical flexibility.

thems the breaks.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-13-09, 04:32 AM

Quote:
WDWC-Ah I see. Too bad, I thought it was a good read. Well, the IC is named Alpharius due to all AL Marines introducing themselves as such.
Yeah I remember that, just infiltrating a chaos cult didn't hit my fancy. Giant power armored marines in cloaks some how get past technologically advanced people who chose to use mid evil stuff? Yeah it was a brain twister it just kind of annoyed me but hey I bet it was better the Battle for the Abyss
I'm interested in how this list performs! so tell us when you go test it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode