1750 tournament list dilemma - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-03-18, 11:38 AM Thread Starter

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1750 tournament list dilemma

Hereís my dilemma, which of these would you pick?
Hereís a list idea Iíve got rattling around in my head, but Iím not sure how effective it will be on the table so here is the rotten meat of it.
Zombie Death Guard detachment
Typhus
Daemon prince with axe and plate
15 pox walkers
15 cultists
15 cultists
Bloat drone spitters

World eaters battalion
Lord axe
Champion axe
8 bezerkers fist axe banner
5 bezerkers fist axe banner
5 bezerkers fist axe banner
2 rhinos
Warp Talons

Khorne daemon patrol
Bloodthrone
20 Bloodletters instrument banner

This comes to 1750 on the nose with 9 cp
Tactically it should hit in three waves. Deep strike bomb then start with the warp Talons who get reroll charge from the bloodthrone to soak any pesky overwatch then 3d6 charge from the bloodletters then the throne. Then come the world eaters. While the zombie horde moves up and take back field objectives. Alternatively I can strike with the world eaters and save the bomb to counterattack any heavy hitters.
Anyone used or played against anything like this list?

List 2
Death Guard battalion
HQ
Typhus 175
Daemon prince axe 156 sup plate
Troops
15 pox 90
15 pox 90
11 cultists 44

2 bloat drones 316

Tallyman 62
Foul Blightspawn 77

Mortarion 470

Patrol
Bloodthrone 105
20 bloodletters 165

I would love to some how get a chaos sorcerer into this one. I just canít see how. The plan for this one is weathering the storm if I donít get first turn and then counter with the blood bomb.

So which has more legs?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-04-18, 03:24 PM Thread Starter

Here’s a new version of list 2 and I think I’ve managed to squeeze a jump sorcerer in.
Some one please tell me if I am messing with my access to death guard stratagems.
Chaos battalion
Plague caster 110
Axe prince (sup plate) 156
Jump sorcerer sword 124

12 pox walkers 72
10 cultists 40
3 nurglings 54
3 nurglings 54
Blight spawn 77

2x bloat drones 316

Mortarion 470 (this is how I access Death Guard stratagems and artefacts)

Daemon patrol
Blood throne 105
20 bloodletters instrument banner 165

Still low on cp but I think I can reach out and touch some peeps in a bad way.
What do you guys think of it’s effectivn?

Last edited by DaisyDuke; 03-05-18 at 12:10 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-06-18, 03:03 PM

I really like this list :-)
I will try to play something similar, so far I will use cartons as figurines
I like to buy poe orbs like chaos orbs, a lot of poe currency and exalted orbs Buy Chaos orbs

Last edited by Illuminat; 04-11-18 at 05:21 PM.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-18, 02:18 AM

Shandathe's Flag is: Netherlands

You're good on the Stratagems, the wording only requires you to have a valid Death Guard Detachment (Mortarion being one) to have access. Though I think the only thing that stands between you and your other detachment being Death Guard as well is the Jump Pack.

Caveat: I think you're overvaluing the Command Points. Yes, stratagems are fun and good, but you've forced yourself into 5 Troops choices - which would be fine if they looked anywhere near effective/useful. What's your plan for getting value out of them? They can initially serve as ablative wounds for a character, but you only need so many cheap objective holders. What if they live through the first round or two?

Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers; all of which are true and horrifying to know.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-07-18, 07:44 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
You're good on the Stratagems, the wording only requires you to have a valid Death Guard Detachment (Mortarion being one) to have access. Though I think the only thing that stands between you and your other detachment being Death Guard as well is the Jump Pack.
This is the only way I can get a csm sorcerer in to try and warp time mortarion. The other power will be Death hex.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shandathe View Post
Caveat: I think you're overvaluing the Command Points. Yes, stratagems are fun and good, but you've forced yourself into 5 Troops choices - which would be fine if they looked anywhere near effective/useful. What's your plan for getting value out of them? They can initially serve as ablative wounds for a character, but you only need so many cheap objective holders. What if they live through the first round or two?
The bloodletters and bloodthrone are going to deep strike and charge 3d6 in to their lines and cause some havoc. The nurglings are to deploy up front and make a pocket for the blood bomb to get into. Pox and cultists hold backfield objectives. Thus the five units.
I could also swap the prince and cultists for some obliteraters then swap plague caster for a jump Lord to buff the obliteraters. But without being able to double shoot, I don’t think it’s worth it.

You say I’m overvaluing the cps but man this list is hungry for them. The bloodletters and bloodthrone take up 3 to begin. Then if the charge goes well or doesn’t, another 3 lets the letters fight again. Leaving me with zero cp.
So the plan is to hope that people won’t be able to put down mortarion, both plague drones and the prince, if I don’t get first turn.
And if I get first turn, the devastation begins early.

Last edited by DaisyDuke; 03-07-18 at 07:59 AM.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-08-18, 02:34 PM Thread Starter

Here’s another to consider
Mortarion 470

Jump sorcerer sword 124
Plague caster 110
15 Pox walkers 90
Cultists 40
Nurglings 54
2 bloat drones 316

Bloodthrone 105
Herald 56
20 bloodletters instrument banner 165
20 bloodletters instrument 150
10 bloodletters 70

1750 with 9 cp

Will be using 1 for the banner of blood and then 3 to drop in the two 20 man units of bloodletters and the bloodthrone. That will leave me with 5 for all the other fun stratagems I’ve got access to. Auto blowing the drones is good, as well as fighting again with a Khorne unit. And then I can use dead walk again on the pox walkers who’ll be with the bloodletters and cultists to refill their ranks.
If I can get first turn I can put out some hurt. And hopefully I’ve got some resilience to survive if I don’t.
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 03-12-18, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Well I got the rules pack for the tournament. And bar hq and troop you can only have 1 of each unit. And Forgeworld is included. So I went back to the drawing board and this is what I came up with.
1750 tournament list (v3.0)
Death Guard battalion
Typhus
Necrosius
Daemon prince axe armour relic.
14 pox
10 pox
11 cultists
Blight spawn
Bloat drone
Sicaran all heavy Bolter

Khorne daemons battalion
Skull throne
Khorne daemon prince wings
20 bloodletters banner of blood instrument
20 bloodletters banner of blood instrument
10 bloodletters
Total of 1749 with 9 CP.
I feel like Iíve got a resilient base to take the field with the death guard. The sicaran gives me some Dakka to take screens apart before the bombs hit. Ideally my opponent will be too busy dealing with the letters mass attackís so the horde can grow and take some objectives. I think Iíve got a fairly strong counter to other alpha strikes with the dp, blight spawn and typhus knocking around.
Any weaknesses Iím not seeing other than a lack of shooting? Any suggestions welcome.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode