Help and ideas on 1500 points Death Guard tournament list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
 1Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-13-17, 03:01 PM Thread Starter

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Help and ideas on 1500 points Death Guard tournament list

So any criticism is most welcome along with any other ideas. So hereís the list
1500 Tournament list

Mortarion 470

Death Guard battalion
Typhus 175
Demon prince 156

12pox walkers 72
12 pox walkers 72
7 plague Marines 3 plasma fist 184

Bio putrifier 74
Surgeon 65
Noxious blight bringer 70
Hell brute las fist 162. 1500

I have very little long range fire or drop close and fire to remove problem targets, and this worries me. Any help would be awesome 😎
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-17, 12:02 AM Thread Starter

Or alternatively
1500 Tournament list

Mortarion 470

Death Guard battalion
Plague caster 110
Demon prince 156

pox walkers 60
pox walkers 60
7 plague Marines 3 plasma fist 184

Bio putrifier 74
Surgeon 65
Hell brute 162.
Bloat drone 158
Total 1499

Slightly more armour and a fast unit to back up morty, it just seems very flimsy, ideally Iíd like more plague Marines!

Alternatively going for something more lively

Mortarion 470

Death guard battalion
Demon prince relic Armor 156
Plague caster 110
3 pox walkers 180

Night lords outrider detachment
Jump Sorceror 128
warp talons 135
Raptors melta axe 119
2 spawn 66

Hellbrute scourge reaper 130
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-17, 01:36 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

I feel like playing a Primarch at this points level is quite dicey, specially since Morty can be picked off despite being a Character. Have you used him much yet or is this your first swing with a new model?

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-17, 06:43 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ntaw View Post
I feel like playing a Primarch at this points level is quite dicey, specially since Morty can be picked off despite being a Character. Have you used him much yet or is this your first swing with a new model?
I’ve used him once before, and he rode the pain train of my opponent for 2 or 3 turns literally taking everything he could throw at him. It let the rest of my army take his apart.
And although he is expensive he’s a massive beat stick that my opponent will have to do something about. Meanwhile hopefully letting the blob of walking mortal Wounds get in range to damage my opponent and then take objectives and get the win.
Which list is more scary and what would you do?

Last edited by DaisyDuke; 10-14-17 at 10:25 AM.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-17, 11:23 AM Thread Starter

Here’s another one working with more marines and a chaos vanguard Detachment.
Mortarion 470

Death guard battalion 3cp
Demon prince 156
Typhus 175
Pox walkers 120
Death Guard 2 plasma 121
Death Guard 2 plasma 140

Chaos vanguard Detachment 1cp
Chaos Sorceror 102
Bio putrifier 74
Surgeon 65
Foul Blightspawn 77
Total 1500. 7cp
All in I think this is the best Death Guard list I can come up with at the 1500 mark. I’m pretty sure that as the 3 elites don’t have weapons effected by the legion trate, they don’t lose anything from not being from a “death guard” detachment and are cool in a standard “chaos” one.
It should be able to soak enough damage until it can get close enough to put some damage out. With access to warptime hopefully should speed things up.

Last edited by DaisyDuke; 10-14-17 at 11:31 AM.
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-17, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuke View Post
I’ve used him once before, and he rode the pain train of my opponent for 2 or 3 turns literally taking everything he could throw at him.
Was your opponent as prepared for a Primarch-level big bad? Mort's an awesome model and does great but there's a lot of builds from a variety of armies that can put down a sole superheavy pretty handily (except for Necrons ).

I don't play DG (only against them) just figured I'd chime in since there was so much commentary on your lists. I feel like your most recent offering is the most crunchy.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-14-17, 10:53 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Was your opponent as prepared for a Primarch-level big bad? Mort's an awesome model and does great but there's a lot of builds from a variety of armies that can put down a sole superheavy pretty handily (except for Necrons ).

I don't play DG (only against them) just figured I'd chime in since there was so much commentary on your lists. I feel like your most recent offering is the most crunchy.
Thanks for not getting lost in all the traffic
To be honest when I saw his list I thought he was going to smash me. He was running large units of the Primaris dudes overcharging rapid fire plasma all centred around a group of characters with a relic banner, a medic that was bringing them back and then some combat characters that added some more rerolls to the mix, he also had some flying Primaris with a silly amount of flamer shots and the Primaris dred which again pumps out a silly amount of shots. They were salamanders so again more re-rolls. This was all wrapped with a load of imperial Guard units and then he had an admech detachment with a big walker tank.

So I think he was prepared for such things. What really surprised me was how resistant pox walkers can be.
What in your experience is the weakness in the above list at this point level, Iíve only had 1 game of 8th so far so just havenít got the game time experience to see flaws.
I realise Mortarion is a third of my points, I just couldnít really see a better way of spending said points, I am open to suggestion.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-17, 04:27 AM

Morty's amazing, guess I'm saying in a tournament your mileage may vary.

In your most recent list how crucial is the Vanguard Detachment? Could it be worth cutting some points there and absorbing preferred units back into the Battalion to bulk up your Pox Walker model count? Them plus Typhus is fun times, as you started finding out in your first game. My buddy swears by his Blight Drones as well for what it's worth. I guess you're basically making the ballsiest ~1k list you can just in case the Mort-ster gets cleaned quicker than you expect eh?
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-17, 02:14 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Morty's amazing, guess I'm saying in a tournament your mileage may vary.

In your most recent list how crucial is the Vanguard Detachment? Could it be worth cutting some points there and absorbing preferred units back into the Battalion to bulk up your Pox Walker model count? Them plus Typhus is fun times, as you started finding out in your first game. My buddy swears by his Blight Drones as well for what it's worth. I guess you're basically making the ballsiest ~1k list you can just in case the Mort-ster gets cleaned quicker than you expect eh?
I donít blame him, Iíd love to get a drone or two in the list. There just too points heavy, Iíve thought about dropping the Sorceror and gaining another 5 man plasma Death Guard squad. This would maximise the blight grenade mortal Wounds tactic, but lose a valuable movement asset and a cp. The only way I could get a drone in would be to swap typhus for a plague caster and lose the Sorceror.
Alternatively I could swap a Sorceror for a nurgle herald and put some more bodies in to the death guard squads.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-15-17, 05:35 PM

Quote:
I don’t blame him, I’d love to get a drone or two in the list.
Last night he sent me a message saying his regular opponent has asked him to leave out his trio for a few games I'm not getting the impression this guy is showing up to gun fights with guns though.

Quote:
This would maximise the blight grenade mortal Wounds tactic, but lose a valuable movement asset and a cp.
From an outside perspective, I see the decision between something you know will make your units more able to get their stuff done and the potential for getting stuff done. The difference of one CP will be almost nonexistent I think as in my experience 1500 point games of "show me what you got" go pretty quick.

Quote:
The only way I could get a drone in would be to swap typhus for a plague caster and lose the Sorceror.
I don't know how viable they are personally, just have a pal who swears by them and is now politely being asked to not include a trio of them in lists (I've been chuckling about this for a while now). Plays them with the dual plague spitter option.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode