Black Legion 2000 points 8th Edition Matched Play - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-15-17, 05:54 PM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

Default Black Legion 2000 points 8th Edition Matched Play

With 8th just a couple days out, and after exhaustively studying my copies of the Indexes, I've decided on a list for my current Black Legion project.

All models have the [BLACK LEGION] keyword and the [CHAOS UNDIVIDED] Mark keyword unless otherwise noted.

Battalion Detachment-

HQ-
Tullis Satrael, Captain of the 17th Grand Company
Chaos Lord with a power sword, plasma pistol.

HQ-
Hastis Ishmael, Sorcerer of T'Char
Sorcerer with a force sword, bolt pistol. [Tzeentch] Mark keyword

TROOPS-
10 Chaos Space Marines
Aspiring Champion with combi-plasma, one model with a missile launcher, one model with a plasma gun. Icon of Vengeance.

TROOPS-
10 Chaos Space Marines
Aspiring Champion with combi-plasma, one model with a missile launcher, one model with a plasma gun. Icon of Vengeance.

TROOPS-
9 Chaos Space Marines
Aspiring Champion with a power sword, plasma pistol. One plasma pistol. Icon of Vengeance.

TROOPS-
9 Chaos Space Marines
Aspiring Champion with a power sword, plasma pistol. One plasma pistol. Icon of Vengeance.

TROOPS-
10 Chaos Space Marines
Aspiring Champion with a power sword, plasma pistol. Two plasma pistols. Icon of Vengeance.

TROOPS-
12 Chaos Cultists
Autoguns

DEDICATED TRANSPORT-
Rhino APC
Combi-bolter, Combi-melta

DEDICATED TRANSPORT-
Rhino APC

DEDICATED TRANSPORT-
Rhino APC

DEDICATED TRANSPORT-
Rhino APC

DEDICATED TRANSPORT-
Rhino APC

FAST ATTACK
10 Raptors
Aspiring Champion with plasma pistol and power sword. Two plasma pistols. Icon of Vengeance

HEAVY SUPPORT
10 Havocs
Aspiring Champion with bolter, bolt pistol. Four Missile Launchers. Icon of Vengeance

So, the thought here is basically to make a return to the tactics of 3rd Edition where Rhino Rush was a thing, and front-load everything with heavy anti-infantry capability. The Rhinos and the Havocs can deal with tanks and monsters, as can the Sorcerer with Smite, so for the most part, the bulk of the infantry is able to just pile out of the Rhinos and beat stuff up in close combat. The cultists are there partially because there's nothing better to do with the points, and partially because you need to create a 9'' buffer in your back field. So their job is to stand 2'' apart from each other and form a 24'' daisy chain to screen the vulnerable flank or rear of the charge from deep strikers. While they'll die horribly doing it, all it takes is one turn to react there and stall an otherwise potentially devastating counterattack. The Rhino-mounted charge itself is lead by two likely empty vehicles-- the more tactically-configured Chaos Space Marine squads are going to chill in the mid-field and provide supporting fire with their bolters and plasma guns, while the missile launcher does whatever it needs to do. Which reminds me-- missile launchers in 8th are your new best friends. They didn't cut it at all in 7th but frag missiles are freaking amazing now and krak missiles are plenty for dealing with armored targets-- I'm hard pressed to find anything that's over T8 in the vehicle department at the moment. There's a reason the missile launcher and the lascannon are the same points-- the lascannon is a sneeze better at anti-tank duty, but the frag missile definitely just got a huge new lease on life with that D6 shots. Moving and firing heavy weapons is no longer an issue either, which is really nice-- who cares about -1 to hit when you get D6 shots?

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-17-17, 01:33 PM

Roganzar's Flag is: USA

Looks good on paper. Looking forward to hearing how it plays out.
I've a few questions though. Why the 2 9-man Marine squads? Are Raptors actually a better choice than Warp Talons?
Just curious, not anything to do with notes on how to help the Mechanicus deal with something like this. Nope not at all.

01010100 01101111 01100001 01110011 01110100 01100101 01110010 01110011 00100000 01100110 01101111 01110010 00100000 01000101 01110110 01100101 01110010 01111001 01101111 01101110 01100101 00100001

Forge World Sidera Maris project.

Warhammer Age of Sigmar project

Horus Heresy project
post #3 of 3 (permalink) Old 06-18-17, 05:31 AM Thread Starter
The Hebrew Hammer

The Son of Horus's Flag is: USA

The nine-man squads are so that there's a spot in their Rhino for a Lord and/or Sorcerer.

As for the Raptors over the Warp Talons, Raptors are a lot cheaper points-wise, are a generally lower-priority target, and can shoot (albeit only with pistols, but if they're going to be in protracted combats, which they definitely will in 8th, those shots matter). Warp Talons are great too, but the Raptors are just slightly more flexible. I'm actually considering replacing them with a second Havoc squad with missile launchers and dumping the cultists to pay for the difference after playing some games today (not with this list, but with other armies). Orks, Imperial Guard infantry, and gaunts are all HUGE problems in volume and you've gotta have some kind of answer that removes that stuff quickly and in volume. Frag missiles get a huge amount of work done in this edition.

IN THE US? ASK ME HOW TO GET 10% OFF GAMES WORKSHOP PRODUCTS!

My homebrew Space Marine Chapter: The Astartes Lions Rampant

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode