Night Lords 1850 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 07:19 PM Thread Starter

Default Night Lords 1850

Curious as what people think about this list I've been using. The idea was to make a balance between fluffy and playable.

Chaos Lord- jump pack, lightning claw, powerfist, sigil of corruption.

3 terminators- combi melta

2X 5 CSM- melta gun, rhino- havoc launcher

2X 5 CSM- plasmagun, rhino- havoc launcher

3X 5 raptors- 2X melta guns, melta bombs

Predator- twin linked lascannon, 2X lascannon sponsor

Vindicator- siege shield

5 Havocs- 4X missile launcher

Formation Mayhem Pack- 3 helbrutes (no upgrades)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 07:34 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Why the terminators? They seem completely out of place.

I'd drop them, and all of your Raptors, and replace them with the Khorne's Bloodstorm formation from Khorne Daemonkin. Just call them really ferocious Night Lords.

You have to mark your lord, but he could be added to the Warp Talon squad, and your Raptors would still be basically the same.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 07:44 PM Thread Starter

The idea behind the terminators was to deep strike in and pop a vehicle. The theme of the Army is actually called the Night Lord challenge: where you must have 3+ units of raptors, no daemons, no marks, no mutations.

The helbrutes are the only ones I really have crossing that line, but the forgeworld night lord dreads are too cool to not have.

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 09:32 PM

Ah. Had I know there were restrictions, I wouldn't have suggested. I do a lot of 'counts as' by using the rules/stats that will best suit a theme, even if the normal paint job would fail.

Honestly, I'd STILL ditch the terminators, because 3 deep striking Hellbrutes with Multi-Meltas are more than worth it. use the points to bulk up the raptors, since righ tnow your Lord doesn't have a really good assault squad to sit in.

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 09:37 PM Thread Starter

Ah yeah I see your point there. More raptors is a good idea. They seem to do good in almost every game as long as they stick to popping transports and assaulting "wounded prey"
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 11:21 PM
alt-f4's Flag is: Belgium

I personally would run this list as a Crimson Slaughter CAD (with Warlords Traits suiting Night Lords better than C:CSM ones, and giving Fear to every unit) and add the Slaughterer's Horns to the Lord.

I would also add Dirge Casters to the Rhinos (and maybe to the Predator too). It's only 5 points (each), not so expensive if one of them prevents at least one Overwatch fire upon the charging Raptors.

I'm not sure that the Mayhem Pack may be turned into a Crimson Slaughter's one (i.e. whether Supplements may be used with every Chaos Space Marines Detachments and Formations) ?

The Serrated Flame : a First Heretics army

- Primordial Truth is Humanity's only salvation -
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 12-23-15, 11:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alt-f4 View Post
I'm not sure that the Mayhem Pack may be turned into a Crimson Slaughter's one (i.e. whether Supplements may be used with every Chaos Space Marines Detachments and Formations) ?
Nope. To my knowledge it's exclusive of each other. So it's Chaos Space marines > Crimson Slaughter, OR Chaos Space marines > Helbrutes.

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-16, 01:28 AM

I would maybe suggest swapping your base codex to the Crimson Slaughter one (you may take the Mayhem pack as a formation as normal).
This gives your entire army 'Fear' for free (you just can't take Veterans of the long war... no loss) - and gives you access to a couple of interesting wargear slots (Daemonheart makes your jump Lord significantly less squishy).

If not, I highly recommend Axe of Fury on the Lord... I know this locks you into the mark of Khorne.. but Raptors are fairly cheap - tack Meltabombs onto the champion and take the MoK to support your lord, and you have a very fast unit capable of scything down nearly any other infantry unit. I've tried so many times to NOT take the axe.. but, honestly, it's so good.

I agree about the Terminators, I think the points would be better spent on padding out your Havoc Squad and CSM squads (you could take 3 more havocs and an extra marine on each squad for their price).
Alternatively, increase the raptor squad and make it your Close combat squad - your opponent will think twice before hunting down your 4 rhino squads, when faced with such a unit that'll be able to react to their movements so quickly.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-23-16, 08:45 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I like your list a lot. I think this kind of MSU build is something CSM can do fairy well, and if you make the right decisions and focus on the mission I can imagine you doing well with it

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-26-16, 02:22 AM

NathanJD's Flag is: USA

Love the list, you've captured the feel of the legion pretty well. Night Lords are one of the more interesting legions in my opinion.

The suggestions I have aren't much original. Mostly a summation of what others have already mentioned. Rationale is in italics.

# Primary Combined Arms Crimson Slaughter
## HQ
Chaos Lord: jump pack, lightning claw, powerfist, sigil, slaughterer's horns, gift - 170
Slaughterer's horns as suggested before. Going up to s9 on the charge will do a lot to help take down big walkers. Gift because it's fun and sometimes worthwhile, although it may be against the fluff.

## Troop
5 Chaos Marines: melta gun, melta bombs - 90
Rhino: dirge caster, dozer blade - 45
These units will most often want to be moving quickly towards an objective or armor so I find the dozer blade to be well worth it. Also due to this tendency to move greater than 6" I don't think a havoc launcher is appropriate here. Dirge casters however are as these rhinos will be suicidally close to your enemy.

5 Chaos Marines: melta gun, melta bombs - 90
Rhino: dirge caster, dozer blade - 45

5 Chaos Marines: plasma gun - 90
Rhino: havoc launcher - 47
Now here is a perfect place for a havoc launcher.

5 Chaos Marines: plasma gun - 90
Rhino: havoc launcher - 47

## Fast Attack
10 Raptors: 2 melta guns, melta bombs - 205
"Proper" retinue for the lord .

5 Raptors: 2 melta guns, melta bombs - 120

5 Raptors: 2 melta guns, melta bombs - 120

## Heavy Support
Predator: twin-linked lascannon, lascannon sponsons - 140

Vindicator: siege shield - 130

5 Havocs: 4 autocannons - 115
Got lots of assault units, but not much in the way of popping a ton of light transports or fliers. Already got plenty of melta for krak targets, and tons of assault, bolters and havoc launchers for frag targets. Given this I think autocannons will add more to your list.

# Mayhem Pack
## Elite
Helbrute - 100

Helbrute - 100

Helbrute - 100

Total: 1844

Alternatives you may want to consider:

An allied detachment to fit in another HQ and 4th raptor squad at the expense of the 4th marine squad.

Heavy flamers on the Helbrutes to give more tactical options when deep striking. Expensive but I find tarpits units to be the biggest foil to helbrutes and a heavy flamer can go a long way to "clear the chaff".

Last edited by NathanJD; 01-26-16 at 02:38 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode