Second attempt at 1000 points. - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-10-15, 11:22 PM Thread Starter

Default Second attempt at 1000 points.

Second attempt, let me know what you think:

Chaos Lord: Lightning claw, Sigil of Corruption - 100

10 Chaos Space Marines: Power Fist, 2 Plasma Guns, Rhino w/ Havoc Launcher - 242

9 Chaos Space Marines: Power Fist, Meltagun, Rhino - 197

3 x 1 Obliterators: Mark of Nurgle - 228

Helbrute: Reaper Autocannon, Power Scourge - 120

Helbrute: Power Fist, MultiMelta - 105

Total: 992
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-15, 05:38 AM

ntaw's Flag is: Canada

Any way you can knock out two points for a second melta in that CSM squad? I'm looking at that havoc launcher really. I like the list regardless, just feel like dual MGs would be a bit more optimal.

Unfortunately Canada got rid of the penny and now my two cents rounds down to zero, so...take it for what you will.

40k Army Projects

Industrial Table WIP
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-15, 05:34 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

^No second special weapon on a unit of less than 10, though you could take a combi melta for the unit leader

I quite like the overall make up of this list. It seems to have a good balance of anti infantry and anti tank via both shooting and combat ability, and defensively nothing is particularly vulnerable. Decent balance.

Had you considered a sorcerer instead of the lord? A level two biomancer with aura of dark glory comes to five less points than your lord (who should be 105 points) or five more if you go for the sigil. Some of the lord's stats are superior but the sorcerer can use powers like enfeeble, warp speed, iron arm, endurance and force (even smite is decent) to balance things up, and the free power weapon is a great advantage when you want a cheap HQ

Alternatively a mark of slaanesh and the murder sword could make a fun chaos lord that only comes to 115 points. At 1000 points there's a good chance the only character in the other army that can beat a chaos lord in a challenge is the HQ, and if you're getting four I6 S8 AP1 instant death attacks against them they'd better be pretty tough to survive long enough to strike back. Obviously the rest of the time your lord only has four I6 power sword attacks, but that's not worse than three lightning claw attacks. Of course you'd lose the invulnerable save for this build, though you could drop the mark of slaanesh for a 5++

My only other suggestion would be swapping the power fist on the plasma gun squad for additional close combat weapons all round, and optional melta bombs for the champ. The plasma guns mean it probably isn't such a great idea since you won't be able to charge and shoot them at the same time, but that was the case with the power fist already, so I'd weigh up whether every guy in the unit getting +1 attack is better than a single power fist. Another option is just dropping the power fist and using those points elsewhere. That might be a better use of points!

Anyway, these are only suggestions and like I said I like your list as it is.

Ah... one final suggestion that just occurred to me. Drop one guy from the unit of 9 and the chaos lord, then replace them with two sorcerers! That unit would then have three characters in it! You could even go further by removing the power fist from the plasma gun squad and upgrading one of those sorcerers to a chaos lord with a single power weapon or lightning claw. That unit would be gangsta

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-15, 05:38 PM Thread Starter

Interesting suggestions!

I will definitely have a look into a sorcerer over a lord.

Another option I am considering is dropping a power fist & an obliterator for a dakka predator...
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-15, 07:48 PM

DaisyDuke's Flag is: United Kingdom

Two suggestions
1) lose an obliterater and pow fist to gain the mayhem pack data slate. If you did this I'd be tempted to put Lord in terminater arm and put him with the remaining obliteraters
2) hell brutes are 100 base not 105.

The mayhem pack can turn the tide to your favour, it's amazing what three dreads can do
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-15, 08:50 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaisyDuke View Post
Two suggestions
1) lose an obliterater and pow fist to gain the mayhem pack data slate. If you did this I'd be tempted to put Lord in terminater arm and put him with the remaining obliteraters
2) hell brutes are 100 base not 105.

The mayhem pack can turn the tide to your favour, it's amazing what three dreads can do
I saw that new points cost in the mayhem pack. Was this a FAQ to the codex too? - so they cost that when bought outside of the pack?
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-15, 09:27 PM

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-12-15, 10:54 PM Thread Starter

Okay, so revision time:

Chaos Lord w/ Sigil & Claw
=105

10 Chaos Marines
-2 Plasma Guns
-Rhino
=205

9 Chaos Marines
-Meltagun
-Powerfist
-Rhino
=197

2 Obliterators
-Mark of Nurgle
=152

Helbrute
=100

Helbrute
=100

Helbrute
-Power Scourge
-Reaper Autocannon
= 115

Total - 974.

This leaves me with 26 points to play with - I have thought of 3 options.
1.Return a the power fist to the 10 man squad of Marines (999 total).
2.Give both Rhinos Havoc Launchers (998 total).
3.Upgrade the Lord's Claw to a Murder Sword (994 total).

All three have merit, however - I am leaning toward option 2... Purely for more firepower & to make the Rhinos a little more threatening.

Thoughts, friends?

EDIT: Also - does a Mayhem pack have to remain together? Or can they separate upon arrival? (I assume the former).
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-15, 11:44 AM

You roll their reserves roll as if they are a unit but they deep strike as individuals.
How about a combi for the 9 man unit and bombs on the lord then dirge casters for the rhino or havoc on the plasma box,
Personally I have had great success with havoc launchers
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 11-13-15, 01:51 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

My humble suggestion

Chaos Lord w/ Sigil & Claw, meltabombs, Mark of Nurgle
=125
You dont' want him stuck against some AV12 stuff...also complements the unit he joins

10 Chaos Marines
-2 meltaguns
-Rhino
=195

in my experience, meltaguns works better, just becuase you will be soon riding in range to kill stuff. Also, they don't fry your models and can threaten vehicles more reliably (explosions on 5+, sweet...)

9 Chaos Marines
-Meltagun
-combimelta & meltabombs
-Rhino w/ combimelta
=197

you don't want them in melee. the lord is a melee deterrent for the enemy, more than a beatstick for you. also, now you have a potential 3 melta shots. Toughness 5 helps against instadeath and small arms fire. Maybe Tzeentch is better though.

2 Obliterators
-Mark of Nurgle
=152
--------
Helbrute
Heavy Flamer
=115

Helbrute
-Power Scourge
=110

Helbrute
-Reaper Autocannon
= 105

the three deepstriking helbrutes are better if you scatter weapons around. otherwise the opponent have to kill just one brute to remove two weapons.

Total - 999.

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode