Vrak's Artillery Attrition 1000pts - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 04:52 AM Thread Starter

NathanJD's Flag is: USA

Default Vrak's Artillery Attrition 1000pts

My my are there some really crazy possibilities with the latest imperial armor book! Most especially the purge detachment because it can be used by CSM and doesn't require any troops! Quick run-down on the formation: Yes, the list below is legal and battle-forged. Weapons with both barrage and blast leave their templates on the table for a turn which count as dangerous terrain. Chemical flamers are gets hot, shred. Mark of nurgle only across the army.

Now, combine that with the new renegade warlord devotion ordnance tyrant. Allows many artillery models to be taken in different slots. The master of renegades works slightly different for Vraks, giving access to any number of zombie units. But, the absolute best part is a 12" bubble of barrrage+blast weapons may shoot in to combat and can even have the blast marker placed over allied models, as long as the hole is over an enemy. The end result: tarpit with plague zombies, then turn the combat into a meat grinder by firing artillery into it. So much chaos flavor! They really did Kreig style warfare justice in this book.

So, on to the list:

# Primary Purge Renegades
## HQ
Arch-demagogue (warlord): ordnance tyrant, nurgle - 57
Joins the Artillery Battery to boost their leadership. Wyvrens stay nearby for the 12" bubble.

Command Squad: autocannon, chemical flamer, vox net - 48
Chimera: multi-laser, heavy flamer - 55
Baby-sits a rapier battery, fixing its leadership.

Arch-demagogue - 17
Joins a rapier to boost its leadership.

Baby-sits a rapier battery, fixing it's leadership.

## Troop
18 Plague Zombies - 54

18 Plague Zombies - 54

18 Plague Zombies - 54
Tarpits and objective holders. Will take a lot of friendly fire but luckily s4/5 doesn't bypass their FNP.

Artillery Battery: 3 heavy quad launchers - 90
With the Wyvren, provides anti-infantry artillery, buffed by the warlord. This is where the magic happens.

## Elite
Wyvren - 55

Wyvren - 55
Wyvrens that drop dangerous terrain and can fire into combat? Whoah momma!

## Heavy Support
Rapier Battery: 3 laser destroyers, militia, +3 crew - 79

Anti-tank.

2 Hydras - 120
Anti-air.

The army can deploy into 3 columns of zombie, artillery and chimera chassis. None of which feels efficient to shoot at. I hope this list makes target priority difficult. Each column has its own answer to most unit types and at least one leadership fixing ability. Probably (zombie - field artillery - wyvren) in the middle with (zombie - rapier - chimera) on the flanks. The hydras are free to roam or simply block LoS if they have no decent target.

Last edited by NathanJD; 03-13-15 at 06:36 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 11:37 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Honestly, i'd rather drop a rapier unit and pump some more zombies.. nice list though

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 05:32 PM
JUGGERNUT

venomlust's Flag is: USA

Dang, I gotta check this book out!

Sounds like a badass list. Also, it appears the army is subtly different from the IA:13 book. Is that correct?

SUFFER NOT THE PONY TO LIVE.

- - AMATEUR KHORNESTAR: MY BLOG THING - -

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-17-15, 06:28 AM Thread Starter

@neferhet , More zombies would be nice. Even with 4+ FNP they can evaporate rather quickly. I suppose it will depend on what army I face. Rapiers if I need ap2 or anti-tank, zombies if I need assault defense.

@venomlust , Yes the book is subtly different. The warlord devotions are tweaked, the master of renegades rule is tweaked and only a subset of the IA13 Renegades units are available. Only khorne and nurgle are represented for fluff reasons. Highlights are as follows. No 0-1 restriction on plague zombies. The purge formation I used above that is also usable by CSM. And the unending host formation which changes the master of hordes roll to a 2+. And best for last, a warlord devotion around an ogryn army!
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-15, 03:56 AM Thread Starter

Just a quick update. I was able to get ob sec on the zombies and split the hydras into two units by using 2 detachments.

# Primary Purge Vrak Renegades
## HQ

## Troop
Field Artillery Battery: 3 heavy quad launchers - 90

## Elite
Wyvren - 55

Wyvren - 55

## Heavy Support

# Combined Arms Renegades
## HQ
Arch-demagogue - 17

## Troop
18 Plague Zombies - 54

18 Plague Zombies - 54

18 Plague Zombies - 54

## Heavy Support
Hydra - 60

Hydra - 60
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-15, 04:21 AM Thread Starter

Yet another update. This is the updated version of a list I used for a 3k team game.

# Primary Purge Vrak Renegades
## HQ

## Troop
Field Artillery Battery: 3 heavy quad launchers - 90

## Elite
Wyvren - 55

Wyvren - 55

## Heavy Support

# Combined Arms Renegades
## HQ
Arch-demagogue - 17

## Troop
18 Plague Zombies - 54

18 Plague Zombies - 54

18 Plague Zombies - 54

## Heavy Support
Hydra - 60

Hydra - 60

# Purge Chaos Marines
## HQ
Sorcerer - 60

## Elite
Obliterator: nurgle - 76

Obliterator: nurgle - 76

## Heavy Support
Sicaran - 135

Sicaran - 135
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-19-15, 10:25 AM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

dual sicaran and 9 rapiers at 1500 pts... have someone beaten you outside the gaming area ??

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 03-20-15, 02:37 AM Thread Starter

Yeah this list is the hardest I can think of with Chaos sans Daemons at the moment (Besides maybe flyer spam: daemon prince/heldrake/hell blade/fire raptor). My Dark Eldar buddy has been dabbling in Eldar allies. Wraithknights, Wave Serpents, etc. In response, I've had to really up the power level of my lists to stay competitive. It's been very hard to keep up in maelstrom against such a fast army. I've been leaning more and more towards horde lists to keep board control. It works out reasonably well but I do generally have to discard objectives in my opponent's deployment zone. And it's unlikely that I can get line breaker. The one surefire thing I've learned: actual Chaos Marine bodies are never worth it vs Eldar/DE. Although I have been toying with the idea of Havocs with 4 specials, deep striking in an Arvus Lighter. Still a sub-par drop pod, but it's much cheaper than a Dreadclaw!

This list really is a gun line with zombie shield. Which worries me because I know I will be outgunned vs many lists. My hope is that when outgunned, my artillery/nurgle based army will have enough resiliency to stay on the table for all 7 turns. I've been puzzling over how to get faster elements into the list without sacrificing too much resiliency.

At 1850 I add in 2 Maulerfiends, a 4th Zombie unit and swap the Sorcerer for a Warpsmith. The Maulerfiends will be fantastic for countercharge. Even better though, they can charge into combat, bunching up enemy infantry for some incoming barrage fire that the Maulerfiends are immune to. Have yet to play the list over 1500 though.

2 Plague Hulks could be better than the Maulerfiends. It would fit better with the theme of the army, being very tough to kill. It is also much more likely to survive the 2 rounds of combat it needs to between it charging and my next shooting phase. Decisions decisions...

Last edited by NathanJD; 03-20-15 at 04:53 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode