Chaos long time coming advice - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-14, 07:26 AM Thread Starter

Warpangel's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Chaos long time coming advice

So after a long time away from chaos I've decided to come back !
My last chaos army was back in 3ed edition (WARP ANGELS) based on a company of blood Angels that was banished into the eye of terror by a bloodthirster.
Anyway after that I took a long break.
Now I'm back I need help and advice on a list I've came up with, NOTE I've not purchased any models yet as I wanna get it right and not waste money. I've decided this list based on how the models look and hopefully it's fun to play.
I want to paint a word bearers looking force.

TOTAL 2001pts
HQ 400pts
Daemon prince-(power armour, wings, mark of Nurgle)
Dark apostle-(crozius dark covenant, daemon heart, mark of Nurgle)

Elites 306pts
6xchosen-(champ with chainaxe & combimelta) (twin lighting claws, power maul)
Helbrute-(missile, twin lascannon)

Troops 490pts
10x CSM-(power fist, auto cannon, mark of Nurgle, rhino-dozerblade)

Fast attack 315pts
Heldrake-(auto cannon)
Raptors-(power fist, meltagun, mark of Nurgle, melts bomb)

Heavy support 467pts
Land raider-(combimelta, dozerblade, extra armour, havoc launcher)(FOR DARK APPOSTLE&CHOSEN)
Forgefiend-(main and extra ectoplasma cannon)

With the allied Nurgle daemons at some point simply because I NEED the grotkin as a greater daemon of Nurgle.

HQ 225pts
Greater daemon Nurgle-(phyker level 2, exalted rewards, lesser rewards)

Troops 95pts
10x plague bearers, plaugeridden

Fast attack 146pts

3x drones of nurgle-(plaugerider,venom sting)

So any advice is welcome
Thanks in advance

Last edited by Warpangel; 12-21-14 at 07:52 AM. Reason: Spelling mistakes and forgotten content
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-14, 07:56 AM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warpangel View Post
TOTAL 2001pts
HQ 400pts
Looks Good, I prosume you are running a Crimson Slaughter List? If so.. may be give him 'chapion of the voices and swap out the chosen for some possessed' (Or even these

Quote:
Elites 306pts
Eh, chosen are not the best in CC.. you probably want to keep them shooty (or swap them for possessed {If using CS}.

The Helbrute should keep a CC weapon, I recomend a Powerfist+Heavy flamer, helps with dealing with infantry as well..

Quote:
Troops 490pts
Drop the Power fists and add a special weapon, these units are going to be securing objectives not allways running forward into CC.

Quote:
Fast attack 315pts
Heldrake-(auto cannon)
Looks good to me... may want a Chain Fist not a Power Fist if tank hunting!

Quote:
Heavy support 467pts
Land raider-(combimelta, dozerblade, extra armour, havoc launcher)(FOR DARK APPOSTLE&CHOSEN)
So any advice is welcome
Thanks in advance
I would see if you can add a Dirge Caster on the Land Raider, if you are going to use one.. I don't rate the land raider, but it does look cool.

post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-14, 08:51 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the advice I'm gonna sit down later and rig some things ! Do I need the CSN codex to use Crimson slaughter codex ? Or can I just use the Crimson book as a stand alone codex ?

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-14, 08:52 AM
Warsmith

Quote:
Thanks for the advice I'm gonna sit down later and rig some things ! Do I need the CSN codex to use Crimson slaughter codex ? Or can I just use the Crimson book as a stand alone codex ?
You need them both as Crimson Slaughter only contains the new rules. Which is a shame so you may want to focus on the core book..

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-14, 08:56 AM Thread Starter

No worrys I've got the main codex but thought I'd ask games workshop really know how to steal from fans !
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-14, 12:30 PM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

If you're going to be transporting the dark apostle in a land raider why not take terminators with him? You could have a minimum sized unit of three if you don't want an expensive unit with him but with the protection of a land raider I'd definitely take a tooled up unit with at least one chainfist, a fist or two and probably a mark. Khorne, tzeentch and nurgle are all worth considering. I like the mark of khorne with plenty of fists. Four attacks on the charge with any kind of fist will hit like a train. Otherwise I prefer tzeentch over nurgle for terminators

I'm not keen on the havoc launcher for the land raider. It'll presumably be moving a lot and there's no snap shooting a blast weapon. Also in any situation where the land raider is standing still firing everything I'd be trying to shoot the lascannons at something like a vehicle, monstrous creature or elite infantry that likely have at least a 3+ save (or high toughness) which the havoc launcher isn't likely to do much to

Put that havoc launcher on a rhino. Then put another havoc launcher on the other. It's a great gun but best on rhinos and dakka predators
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-14, 05:56 PM Thread Starter

Just another quickly is it viable to just have khorne army ?
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-21-14, 08:26 PM

NathanJD's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Just another quickly is it viable to just have khorne army ?
Absolutely! Just don't use any Berserkers ;). Mark of khorne is a great way to cheaply increase the offensive output of your assault units. It also has exclusive access to the best mount and daemon weapon.

Quote:

Swapping nurgle for khorne across the board might be the best way to take advantage of your re-rolls from the zealot bubble.

Elites 306pts
I'm beginning to love chosen. They can really heap on the attacks! And loads of attacks are the best way to take advantage of a force multiplier like zealot. I would recommend against using terminators because of their low # of attacks, you be "wasting" your apostle. Chosen are the perfect choice of retinue for an apostle. Also, more dice leads to more stable probabilities so you can count on the unit to more often do its job. I'd give the champ a power sword or lightning claw. that way he could take the challenges against 3+ that your apostle can't crack. I'd really try to get mark of khorne on this unit as its land raider gives a good way to guarantee you get all the attack you've pad for. They would have 5 attacks each on the charge!

I'd swap this for a predator with 3x lascannons. Less mobile but hardier and more potent.

Troops 490pts
The troop entry: Chaos Marines and assault DO NOT MIX! I know this is counter-intuitive but it is a sad truth of the CSM codex. Chaos Marines can only ever be mediocre at a combat, so any dedicated or elite assault unit will usually win combat against them. This brings their terrible leadership 8 (because your champion probably died in the mandatory challenge) into play, minus modifiers. They get run down a lot. Going back to the mandatory challenges, anything unwieldy (axes and fists) is out. That is unless you intend on running another character with the unit to take challenges instead. They need fearless, stubborn or ATSKNF to be viable in assault. Fearless is the only thing attainable, either through the icon of vengeance, a fearless character, fabius's enhanced warrirors, or the special crozius you have! Given you have a 6" zealot bubble, I'd still keep one unit of 10 CSM, but it would be tactically limiting to have to keep all 3 of your big assault units in the exact same place.

My new favorite way to run them is 5 man units. The unit can still prey on weak infantry, while a single melta bomb and melta gun makes it a potential threat to everything.

5 Marines: melta gun, bolt pistols, ccws, melta bombs, rhino w/ dirge caster - 130

The best part of this configuration is if it get caught by a real assault unit, you're not losing much of an investment. You're also putting more objective secured units down on the table. Slap mark of nurgle on there, and maybe even a power maul to wade through some light infantry.

The other way I like to run them is a more utility knife style:

5 Marines: plasma gun, bolters, bolt pistols, ccws, melta bombs, rhino w/ havoc launcher - 150

Mark of Nurgle is pretty good on this unit as well because they will often be engaged in "bolter duels". But, alway remember to keep these units cheap unless you have some way of attaining fearless.

I stay away from heavy weapons on Chaos Marines because I find things like many things like havocs, predators and forgefiends hold the heavy weapons better while also holding backfield objectives. Cultist, plaguebearers and nurglings also work great as backfield objective holders.

Fast attack 315pts
Heldrake-(auto cannon)
Raptors suffer from all the same issues as their troop brethren. Yeah faster movement and occasional hammer of wrath help you to not lose combats but you're still no where near stellar in assault. The raptor champion can take whatever armor there is with his melta bombs so he needs to drop his power fist for something without unwieldy otherwise he'll be useless in combat vs infantry. With the points saved from downgrading the power fist you can get the unit a 2nd melta gun. Then it would be able to make great use of their jump packs. Jumping over enemy lines to deliver 2 melta shots followed up by a charge with krak grenades and a melta bombs.

Heavy support 467pts
Definitely get a dirge caster as mentioned before. Land raider is expensive enough as is on my opinion. I'd drop the combi-melta and extra armor. I dig the havoc launcher even though it should probably be dropped as well. It helps the heavy bolters feel less lonely .

Everything else looks pretty sweet.

With the allied Nurgle daemons at some point simply because I NEED the grotkin as a greater daemon of Nurgle.

HQ 225pts
Greater daemon Nurgle-(phyker level 2, exalted rewards, lesser rewards)

Troops 95pts
10x plague bearers, plaugeridden

Fast attack 146pts

3x drones of nurgle-(plaugerider,venom sting)

So any advice is welcome
Thanks in advance

Last edited by NathanJD; 12-21-14 at 08:45 PM.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-14, 02:16 AM
Warsmith

Quote:
If you're going to be transporting the dark apostle in a land raider why not take terminators with him? You could have a minimum sized unit of three if you don't want an expensive unit with him but with the protection of a land raider I'd definitely take a tooled up unit with at least one chainfist, a fist or two and probably a mark. Khorne, tzeentch and nurgle are all worth considering. I like the mark of khorne with plenty of fists. Four attacks on the charge with any kind of fist will hit like a train. Otherwise I prefer tzeentch over nurgle for terminators
If you are putting them in a Land Raider may as well go fro chosen as you don't 'need the 2+ save' to protect them, and chosen get +1 attack, because of additional hand weapon.

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 12-22-14, 02:28 AM
Warsmith

Quote:
Chaos Marines can only ever be mediocre at a combat.
I do want to say that in my humble opinion they are one of the best close quarter Troops in the game. They can shoot up most assault Troops and out fight most shooting troops. (That is not to say there are not Elite units that are better, but core troops they are quite good).

But other wise I agree with everything said..

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode