CSM 1500 Where am i really?? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-14, 07:37 PM Thread Starter

Chaos Crusader's Flag is: England

Default CSM 1500 Where am i really??

Ive been gaming for a good few months now and after seeking and receiving help/tips/advice/opinions on my initial CSM list i thought id post where im at now with my 1500 force and see what peeps think.

Warlord HQ - 162 Points
Chaos Lord
Terminator armour
VOTLW
AoBF
Combi-plasma
Mark of Khorne

Elites - 360 Points
Terminators (x4)
VOTLW
Combi-plasma (x4)
Power swords (x2)
Power axes (x2)
Mark of Khorne

Helbrute
Multi-melta
Power fist

Helbrute
Multi-melta
Power fist

Troops - 175 Points
CSM (x5)
Melta gun

CSM (x5)
Melta Gun

Fast Attack - 340 Points
Heldrake
Bale flamer

Heldrake
Bale flamer

Heavy Support - 465 Points
Chaos Predator
Lascannon (SS) (x2)
Autocannon

Forgefiend
Hades-autocannon

Forgefiend
Hades-autocannon

This list has provided a few victorys (and gained its fair share of defeats) but overall its done ok.

The Heldrakes are my obvious anti-troop go to guys and now the dice gods no longer hate me ive managed to drop the aegis/comms relay to save valuable points, theyve also managed to take out a few flyers along the way with the vector strike. My favourite model/unit tbh.

Forgefiends have been VERY hit and miss... The amount of reasonable strength dakka they 'can' put out can be lethal, tho sometimes even with the Deamon-forge ive managed to do very little, plus the AV12 has been found out, especially vs melta wielding drop pod lists. Love the model, tho my gameplay needs to improve with this unit.

The Predator ive not had long but this guy has done well every turn... Who doesnt love lascannons right?

CSM i feel like im cheating these units tbh as only being 5 strong there main role has been 'shields' for my heavy support units. Tho the AC has been known to perform quite well in challengers, one took out 3 Marine Sergeants in a row! Still waiting for a decent boon table roll however... Chaos is fickle... haha
Cultists have been recommended a few times, but rightly or wrongly im not a fan of the models and i prefer my marines... all 10 of them!

Helbrute... interesting/infuriating beast... seems to attract an 'immobilized' result every time the AV12 suffers a penetrating hit... tho it was pleasing to witness a Storm Raven feel the brunt of its crazed roll, even having to roll 6s to hit, the Raven got blown out of the sky with the Multi-melta at short distance.

I more often that not deepstrike my Lord & Terminators and this usually work well, the combi-plasmas do the initial damage then with all the attacks i get on the charge with Mark of Khorne / AoBF Daemon weapon bonus hitting at initiative S6 AP2... Plus the power weapons... pretty badass tbh, just wish the Lord had eternal warrior... instant death has been his bane once or twice.

These are my own opinions and experiences and are by no means a total review of the units as im no where near experienced enough for such an undertaking.

If youve made it to the bottom of this post then 'congratulation's and thank you for reading, tho as usual any comments thoughts are greatly received.

Cheers.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-04-14, 09:36 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Looks like a fair list, all told. I'd try to swap those Termis' power swords for chainfists, so you have some solid anti-tank in them.

With one more Helbrute you'd be able to deep strike them as a Mayhem Pack. That could be fun!

Yeah, Forgefiends are a bit unreliable with their only BS3. I like to take one alongside Tzeentchi Daemons allies or a Sorcerer with the Crimson Slaughter's Balestar, so that I can throw Prescience on it (Prescience and Daemonforge--now that's a shooting phase!), but otherwise I think I'd rather take a Maulerfiend and have some points to spare.

One reason people recommend cultists, I think, is to help defend against those drop-podding meltas--with 20 or so cultists, it's pretty easy to bubble-wrap a Forgefiend so that any drop pod folks can't get within their 6" melta range.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Crusader View Post
just wish the Lord had eternal warrior... instant death has been his bane once or twice.
Yup. Unfortunate that you'd have to go Black Legion to reliably get Eternal Warrior. You can't at all rely on the boon chart, and even if you took a sorcerer with Biomancy... you have no guarantee that you'll get Endurance.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-06-14, 01:40 AM

NathanJD's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaos Crusader View Post
Warlord HQ - 162 Points
Chaos Lord
Terminator armour
VOTLW
AoBF
Combi-plasma
Mark of Khorne
Solid. I almost always advocate for 12" movement on CSM HQs but a 2+ and deep strike are a pretty good trade off. I think melta bombs are a must to prevent walkers from ruining your entire unit. I'd drop veterans for the melta bombs, you're already fearless.

Elites - 360 Points
Terminators (x4)
VOTLW
Combi-plasma (x4)
Power swords (x2)
Power axes (x2)
Mark of Khorne
I'd love to see at least one power and/or chainfist to protect against walkers and super high toughness. Again, I'd drop veterans because of fearless.

Helbrute
Multi-melta
Power fist

Helbrute
Multi-melta
Power fist
Nice and potent, draws fire away from the forge fiends. They seem like they'd work well in this list. Heavy flamers would help against tarpit units, the helldrakes can't do all the work.

Troops - 175 Points
CSM (x5)
Melta gun

CSM (x5)
Melta Gun
I'll echo the sentiment of using cultists. If you're mainly just bubble wrapping your heavy support, cultists will do even better for cheaper.

Fast Attack - 340 Points
Heldrake
Bale flamer

Heldrake
Bale flamer

Heavy Support - 465 Points
Chaos Predator
Lascannon (SS) (x2)
Autocannon

Forgefiend
Hades-autocannon

Forgefiend
Hades-autocannon
One options would be to drop a helbrute to distribute some more upgrades throughout the army. Such as essential rhinos and melta bombs for your melta gun toting CSM and a heavy flamer for the remaining helbrute. It would be a welcome addition of mobility to a list with such a strong gun line.

Another option would be to drop the helbrute and swap a unit or two of CSM to cultists. This would free up enough points for a tzeench herald and horrors to cast prescience on your forgefiends or predator as Mossy suggested. It would buff up your gun line at the cost of mobility.

I'll also advocate for putting the comms relay back in. You have over 1/3 of your army off the table.

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-08-14, 09:49 PM Thread Starter

Chaos Crusader's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I'd try to swap those Termis' power swords for chainfists, so you have some solid anti-tank in them.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJD View Post
I'd drop veterans for the melta bombs, you're already fearless.
Quote:
Originally Posted by NathanJD View Post
I'd love to see at least one power and/or chainfist to protect against walkers and super high toughness. Again, I'd drop veterans because of fearless.
Its as if you guys knew the future!! my last game my termi squad came up against several walkers and couldnt really touch them... so as advised ive dropped the VOTLW (i mainly face marines so that is the only reason i had the upgrade ) and now my Lord / Termi squad looks as so -

Chaos Lord - 162 points
Terminator Armour
Mark of Khorne
AoBF
Combi-plasma
Melta Bombs

Terminators - 163 points
4 x Combi-plasma
2 x Power axe
1 x Lightening claw
1 x Chain fist
Mark of Khorne

It does now seem a more potent unit to face all enemies. Plus im still within 1505 (we allow a 5 point over spill in friendly games).

Many thanks as usual.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-14, 04:33 AM

chaos vince's Flag is: USA

looks solid, id think about a few combi meltas in the termi squad. you sacrifice a shot but beef up the squads anti tank ability. might look at adding in some cultists in exchange for csm or the helbrute

when you gotta shoot, shoot. Don't talk...
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-10-14, 05:37 AM

NathanJD's Flag is: USA

I will advocate strongly against mixing melta and plasma in terminator units. Your combi salvo is going to be an alpha strike, then get used up. This allows you to get the absolute most out of cohesive weapon choices.

All plasma allows you to decimate heavy infantry and most vehicles on their rear armor. I find this is usually my preferred choice as it pairs so damn nicely with their stock power axes. Plus, 24" range, or 12" max effectiveness helps to not get screwed by deep strike scatter. Melta on the other hand, only gives you a 6" area to drop into.

The only time I take melta is when my list just needs the heavy anti tank. In this scenario, all melta is needed.

As for the melee options, a variety is always good. Unlike your single combi salvo, you can't control what the unit will be up against.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode