Help needed please on list for a club tournament 1999 points - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 09:18 PM Thread Starter

Default Help needed please on list for a club tournament 1999 points

I am a novice player and about to start a league/tournament at my local club. It is looking like warlord, line breaker and 3 objectives all a point each and an extra point for tabling. I am obviously not trying to win this and would like to have fun along the way.

My initial thoughts are:

Abaddon
2 x Vindicators
8 x berzerkers and rhino with dirge castor
8 x berzerkers and rhino with dirge castor
Heldrake
Helbrute
20 x cultists all CCW and MON 130
20 x cultists all CCW and MON 130
Cypher

This gives me 350 points to play with. I would happily change any of the above if you can point me in the right direction.

I have at my disposal:
Chaos lord - I would like to use him to make the berzerkers troops, I also have a juggernaut for him
Be'lakor
Marines
Loads of chosen
Terminators
Havocs
Predator
Ahriman (should arrive soon so inexperienced with him)
3 spawn but never used them so again inexperienced with them

Bastion
Aegis defence line

I also have the Black Legion codex so can use some of that stuff.

So, any ideas, suggestions, advice or criticism is appreciated.

Cheers, Jon.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-12-14, 10:24 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

Objectives each 1 point means that the esiest way to win is to hold just 1 of them and concentrate on the easy points: kill the warlord and linebreaker.

Hear this:

Abaddon (because nothing says F*K YOU like abaddon...)
5 terminators
MoTzeentch
4 combimelta
3 poweraxes
1 lightning claw
champion w/ poweraxe
(470 points. this unit deepstrikes into enemy deployment zone and should be hard enough to give you linebreaker and crush some faces. Being abaddon the warlord he is not going easy to remove. also, deepstring should keep him safe until turn 3 usually. deepstrike them safely, of course...)

10 cultists
10 cultists
(100 points. due to no first blood you can dispose of them. sit them into an objective, run them along the board, do stuff. if you are lucky one of them will survive to grab an objective)

10 Marines
2 meltaguns
1 combimelta
rhino w/combimelta
(215 pts, this unit should be used as antitank or objective grabber to follow the heldrake or as rank and file shooters)

2 Vindicators w/ combibolters
(250 pts. great units. combi is there to save you from weapon destroyed result)

Then...

Slaanesh Lord on Steed
Sigils of corruption
Murder Sword
(160 pts. yeah I know the murder sword is crap blabla...when 1/5 of the battle is won by just letting this guy near the enemy warlord AND by outflankink in his deployment zone, or yours to counterattack, this weapon is going to be classy. He cannot possibly escape both abaddon and this lord! also gives you another counterattack or pressing unit)

5 Chosen
5 plasmaguns
(165 pts. they go with the Slaanesh lord and just go plasma mad until someone shoot them dead or it is time to assault the enemy lord or a nasty enemy shooty unit that need to be stuck in cc to be silenced. also, a troop to endanger enemy homebase objective)

Heldrake w/baleflamer
(170 pts. you should have two of these and be a real nasty douchebag . use it to kill enemy fliers or to remove units from objectives. Vectorstrike + balflamer= dead troops )

6 Havocs
4 autocannons
(128 pts, third heavy slot, long range support and in-extremis antiair. also useful to get rid of enemy linebreakers)

Helbrute
multimelta, ccw
(100 pts, use this in reserve, to counter enemy deepstrikers if any or otherwise rampage the field until it get smashed)

5 Chosen
5 flamers
Rhino
(150 pts. another troop if you want to go for objectives. a good crowd control unit. frail but can be nasty against soft and numerous targets. in case of elite heavy enemyes, just keep them in reserve to counter the linebreaking or to help capture objectives)

3 spawns
(90 pts. run the field and draw fire. if they reach the enemy, just assault something not too big and hope to inflict some wounds. Also, good screening units for Vindicators, useful to protect them proactively form assault or speed them into enemy fire, granting a 5+ cover to the vehicles )

1998 pts it is.

So you have:
-many objective takers
-lots of units to prevent tabling
-2 Hq and retinue to fuck with enemy deployment zone and warlord. also abaddon is a huge beatstick. just his presence could get the enemy to avoid an area of the field.
-a mixed long range, mid range, short range fire support (havocs, vindicators, flamerchosen, meltamarines) to allow you a diagonal approach to battle, with longer range units covering the short ranged ones until everyone reach its sweet spot.
- a couple of rhins that, if alive SHOULD be used to tankshock enemies out of position, just to piss the opponent.
-a couple of ways to prevent enemy from linebreaking you (depending on the field and the opponent: spawns, helbrute, flamerchosen, havocs or even cultists!)

Thats my two cents of textwall.
May the god bless you in a fashionable way and may the Pleasure Prince f*ck your opponents (minds...)!
GLORY TO CHAOS!!

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette

Last edited by neferhet; 02-12-14 at 10:28 PM.
post #3 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 01:11 PM Thread Starter

Great that mate, thanks for taking the time to write that. Certainly gives me something different to think about and I do like it a lot!

post #4 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 01:48 PM

Let us know how the tourny goes ;)

Quote:
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #5 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 02:03 PM Thread Starter

Will do, it's a play everyone twice sort of league, so will probably take a good few weeks.

Hopefully the lists don't need to be in till early next week so will give me a chance to test/practice using that list before I decide.
post #6 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-13-14, 11:02 PM Thread Starter

Had a go with my list tonight, not tournament but against a white scars army (full of bikes) lost but did OKish, I have a chance to test your list this weekend but have a couple of questions:
Can the chosen outflank with the lord? Missed the rule that says you can if you can.
It appears we are not having line breaker but first blood instead, would you change anything?
Thanks again, Jon.
post #7 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonny B View Post
Can the chosen outflank with the lord? Missed the rule that says you can if you can.
It appears we are not having line breaker but first blood instead, would you change anything?
About the lord, the outflnaking-giver is the steed of slaanesh ;)

And OMG, if you have first blood instead of linebreaker, then my list is moot!!!

Later I'll write down something else

Quote:

Last edited by neferhet; 02-14-14 at 07:37 AM.
post #8 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

Haha sorry, it's no worries if not but hey if you can then fire away, no rush like

We got the rules last night on paper and they was different from the forum post. Next week it could be all 3 ;)

Yeah I knew it was the steed, will have another nosey at that. I have a tendency to stop reading rules half way through!

Thanks again mate.
post #9 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-14-14, 08:47 AM

So, basically now you need a list that can be able to get first blood before the enemy, to do linebreaker and deny it to the opponent and capable of crushing the warlord while keeping yours safe...and of course take 1-2 objectives.
I'd say:

Abaddon
5 terminators
MoTzeentch
4 combimelta
3 poweraxes
1 lightning claw
champion w/ poweraxe
(470 points. they do same stuff as before. failbaddon as warlord should be enough to protect that Vpoint!!)

Slaanesh Lord on Steed
Sigils of corruption
Murder Sword
(160 pts. same as before, he will be joined by...)

5 Chosen
5 plasmaguns
(165 pts. same as before. they are ok ,even if small squad, due to outflanking. you must take first blood before they reach the field)

15 Marines
Icon of vengeance
2 plasmaguns
(255 pts they advance on the board and should be strong enough to reach midfield where they can take an objective while shooting. keep the icon bearer alive and they will be hard to remove)

10 Marines
MoSlaanesh
Icon of excess
2 plasmaguns
(220 pts. second objective taker. less numerous but more resilient. Also I5 means you should defend well in assault. but nonetheless they want to keep shooting from midfield)

2 Vindicators w/ combibolters
(250 pts. advancing with the two marines units, possibly screened by them to get a 5+ cover save)

Heldrake w/baleflamer
(170 pts)

5 Chosen
5 flamers
Rhino
(150 pts. use them as before, to retake an objective and to counter enemy linebreaker)

5 Havocs
4 autocannons
veterans of the long war
(120 pts. the weak spot of the army, but they are really useful. few bodies means they should begin the game in cover and in support range of the other units, possibly out of sight. VotLW is there to help with morale test from shooting.)

Basically the same as before, save that now your only easy removed unit is the havoc squad. If faved with 2 AV14 tanks you will struggle a little, but that will be rare.

Also, if you did ok against the space marine bikercheese, then you will be good with most opponents. This is not a competitive list, however, so prepare to be owned by those funny guys that comes down with netlists.

Quote:
post #10 of 26 (permalink) Old 02-15-14, 11:07 AM Thread Starter

Sounds good all round cheers. Having a game tomorrow afternoon so will try it out.

Any tips on grafting plasma/flamers on chosen from the DV box set or should I post elsewhere for that? If this works I would like to have the actual weapons on the models.

Cheers, Jon.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode