1500 competitive vs Ultramarines - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-13, 02:56 AM Thread Starter

whittsy's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by MidnightSun View Post
Pretty cool. Gift of Mutation is probably extraneous though. I've always been a big fan of Power Fist/Burning Brand of Skalathrax rather than Fisticlaws but that's not certainly a better option, more a matter of how you like your Lords; they're not combat monsters and never will be; they're primarily Fearless givers and Cult Troops unlockers, and so I try to emphasize their utility with Steeds of Slaanesh and the Burning Brand, but they're not exactly slackers in combat.
Sticking with the fisti-claws because I don't want him getting too over priced, Basically as simple as that. Plus I know his Captain is going to be too scared to come after my Lord anyway.

Quote:
I like the infantry dudes, but not sure on all the kit on Rhinos. Extra Armour is pretty much irrelevant, since the amount of times a Rhino is Stunned is rather negligible, and there's not a massive penalty if it is. Dirge Casters seem a bit odd since you're not a combat army, and are tough enough to survive most all Overwatch anyway. Havoc Launchers are neat though.
Going to be fairly aggressive with these guys. Run them up, using cover, use the havoc launchers where I can, and wait for my deepstrike/fly on support before moving in with the plague marines. Extra armour was put on because i had 10 points spare with that list.

Quote:
Really expensive for a suicide Melta squad. Drop the Mark, Bombs and Claw, and then you can drop down, Melta a thing, then die without costing very much to do so
Going to try n use them fairly smart, using the wrecked vehicle as cover from other units, if I can. If not I'll need to wipe out threats with my other units. But i know where you're coming from.

Quote:
We know it, we love it.
Awwwwwww yeeeeeeeeeeee.

Quote:
Not a fan of Forgefiends due to their survivability issues. I'd certainly replace with 2 Obliterators with the Mark of Nurgle, or a unit of Havocs with Autocannon.
I'd be more than happy to swap the forgefiend out, it would actually give me a bit more support if I deepstrike them in with raptors or just move them into cover and blast away. - More on this soon.

Quote:
Flakk Missiles are an utter waste of points. Drop the Flakk, keep the Mark, probably add Veterans of the Long War since you're hanging around the board edge. Alternatively, replace with 2 more Nurgle Obliterators.

This saves you about 80pts overall, which you could use to drop the Havocs down to 5-man and then add another unit of them. In fact, I'd be tempted to replace your entire Heavy Support section with 3x 5 Havocs with Autocannon, then spend any leftover points on adding extra dudes to said Havoc units. This would really give a serious long-range punch to the army and let you reliably take down transports and the lighter Flyers for you to start mulching with your infantry and Heldrake.
The reason for the Flakk, is my brother recently bought 2 Storm Talons, and I really really REALLY want them dead. The reason I didn't swap them out for oblits is because they don't have the skyfire capabilities. If i had 4 oblits I COULD deepstrike 2 and leave the other 2 deployed at the start. Unless I change the Baleflamer for a Hades Autocannon?

The true nature of Chaos is beyond any comprehension. No mere mortal can ever hope to understand these matters, and the wise do not puzzle too deeply over Chaos Gods, or try to fathom their wars, rivalries and bickerings.

Deathguard PLOG: https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...d.php?t=129438
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-10-13, 12:48 PM
Rattlehead

Nah, Vector Strikes are enough and the Baleflamer is so damn good.

Flakks are bad because you're paying 20pts and the shots from the rest of the unit to get a single skyfire Autocannon. A single Quad-Gun is easily capable of dealing with 2 Stormtalons, so if you took 2 units of Havocs with Autocannons and an Aegis Line with Quad-Gun you'd be pretty well set - if the Quad-Gun doesn't quite do the job, 8 Autocannons almost certainly will.

The issue I have with the Raptors is that the upgrades make them significantly more expensive while not making them netter at their job; tank hunting. They're still neither tough or good in combat, they're just very expensive and not laughably terrible. I can't think of a unit against which a single Lightning Claw will matter - if it's Guardsmen or Kabalites, you kill them with your basic attacks anyway, and if it's a full squad of Marines they're probably going to kill you or hold you up for the rest of the game anyway. Likewise, anything that kills 5 Raptors will kill 5 Raptors with the Mark of Nurgle. Keep them cheap, keep them effective.

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-11-13, 01:30 AM Thread Starter

@Ddraig Cymry , @MidnightSun .

Feel like a shit dick atm. My opponent only has ONE stormtalon! He gets the 2nd one for christmas lol, my bad! With this information in my head (where it was all along but i was a shit dick and forgot) I've decided to remake my list accordingly.

HQ:

Lord Eliphas - MoN, SoC, lightning claw, power fist, GoM. - 155

Troops:

10 Plague Marines, 2 plasma guns, melta bombs - 227

9 Plague Marines, 2 Flamers, combi-flamer, melta bombs. - 241

1x 10 Cultists: 50

Dedicated Transport: 2 Rhinos, 2 havoc launchers, 2 dirge casters, Extra Armour on lords rhino. - 114

Fast:

5 Raptors, 2x Melta Gun, combi-melta. - 125

Helldrake, Baleflamer - 170

Heavy:

2x Obliterators, MoN - 152

5x Havocs, MoN, 4 A/C's - 130

leaving 136 points left over.

Again I have a vindicator, another squad of 5 havocs to use, a helbrute to arm up to the teeth, a predator, a sorcerer or some mutilators (lol)

Cheers guys!

The true nature of Chaos is beyond any comprehension. No mere mortal can ever hope to understand these matters, and the wise do not puzzle too deeply over Chaos Gods, or try to fathom their wars, rivalries and bickerings.

post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 03:20 PM
Rattlehead

Quote:
Originally Posted by whittsy View Post
HQ:

Lord Eliphas - MoN, SoC, lightning claw, power fist, GoM. - 155
Still want the Burning Brand instead of a Lightning Claw and Gift, but hey

Quote:
Troops:

Dedicated Transport: 2 Rhinos, 2 havoc launchers, 2 dirge casters, Extra Armour on lords rhino. - 114
I like it. Still, there is NO reason for Extra Armour, and I'm leery of the Dirge Casters. You're frickin' Plague Marines, you can stand Overwatch unless you fight some kind of 45-Burna Boy army or something.

Quote:
Fast:

Veeeery nice.

Quote:
Heavy:

Very good.

Quote:
leaving 136 points left over.

Again I have a vindicator, another squad of 5 havocs to use, a helbrute to arm up to the teeth, a predator, a sorcerer or some mutilators (lol)!
Another squad of 5x Havocs with Autocannons, in my opinion. Alternatively, drop the Gift of Mutation on Eliphas, the Dirge Casters and the Extra Armour and proxy Mutilators as another pair of Nurgle Obliterators.

Looks good though

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 08:27 PM Thread Starter

I don't know why I kept the extra armour :-/, probably because I just copy and paste the list again. Which I will now do again with hopefully the final draft.

HQ:

Lord Eliphas - MoN, SoC, lightning claw, power fist, GoM, VoTLW. - 160

Troops:

Dedicated Transport: 2 Rhinos, 2 havoc launchers - 94.

Fast:

Heavy:

1499 points.

Went with the extra obliterators because of their versatility. 8 S7 AP4 shots more is cool, but the idea of 2 extra plasma cannons/twin linked plasma guns/assault cannons will come in more handy against terminators or devastators.

post #16 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 08:30 PM
Rattlehead

Nailed it

post #17 of 17 (permalink) Old 12-12-13, 10:19 PM Thread Starter

I figure that i can deepstrike 1 squad of obliterators with the raptors for fire support and keep the other obliterators hunkered down near my deployment incase he deepstrikes his assault terminators in (yeah I can hit them with plasma and take away their 2+ leaving them with 3++ but that extra number could be victory or death - plus if i had 2 plasma guns from marines squad + 2 twin linked plasma guns shooting them [hopefully at half range] there will be too many saves to have to save them all). Havocs can lay down fire support on a flyer or devs. My flamer rhino can charge up the field with the 2nd rhino in toe if he doesn't have assault termis and hopefully by turn 2 my marines will be close enough to support the helldrake!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode