Thousand Sons Noob 1500 points - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Love XV8's Flag is: Sweden

Default Thousand Sons Noob 1500 points

Hi all! So I'm completely new to Chaos and I'm thinking of building myself a 1k sons army
However I feel that I could use some help from you more experienced fellas before I went shopping. here's the list, any C&C is much appreciated.

HQ:
Chaos Sorcerer with Aura of dark glory, Spell familiar, Mark of Tzeentch, Mastery level 2.
130 p

Daemon Prince with Mark of Tzeencth, Wings, Power armour, Burning brand of Skalathrax.
250 p

Troops:
8 Thousand Sons with, Aspiring Sorcerer with Melta bombs.
224 p

7 Thousand Sons with, Aspiring Sorcerer with Melta bombs.
201 p

7 Thousand Sons with, Aspiring Sorcerer with Melta bombs.
201 p

(Melta just cus I face a lot of dreadnaughts that like assaulting)

Fast Attack:
5 Warp Talons with Mark of Tzeentch, Aspiring Champion.
190 p

Heldrake with Baleflamer/Hades autocannon.
170 p

Heavy Support:
5 Havocs with Mark of Tzeentch, Icon of flame, 3 Heavy Bolters, Aspiring Champion.
130 p

Total: 1496 points

So what I have is an army almost entirely made of rubrics and MoTz guys, apart from the heldrake. My main concerns are the point heavy Daemon Prince and that the rubics are without transports (though I believe it's in their nature to make it slowly towards the enemy and then give them hell?). That could of course be fixed by dropping.. say the warp talons and beefing up the Havoc squad or something. the reason I added warp talons are that they look so freaking amazingly cool!!

Anyways it's meant to be a more fluff than competitive army but I don't wanna lose every single game so please comment and give me some feedback

Cheers!

Last edited by Love XV8; 08-05-13 at 05:43 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 02:30 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

it is a funny list. however i would recommend to drop the warptalons cause they are so underwelming...they just add some AP 3 hits to the army, a thing you do not need at all. you, however, need some more AP2 and antitank. Fisrt of all I would recommend to exchange havocs Hbolters into autocannons. thay are just better, able to wreck light transports. The, after dropping the warp talons, you could add some Terminators with MoTzeentch, power axes and combi-meltas. Moreover, the icon of flame is not so useful ;) you can have it, but you should use those points into beefing the abovementioned terminators
cheers

The Legion of Perfects Project

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lux View Post
The calls of Slaneesh stir so deeply within me, as if I was birthed from the very essence of it. For my ambition to infinitely ascend above all is never ending, like fire within it burns me to ever cindering ash. Lord of light and ascension is who I am, realities burn to ash at my very passing. My luminescence is unparalleled for I am luminosity itself, all light is but a shadow of my silhouette
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-03-13, 04:41 PM

i agree with the above also give the sorc a sigel of corruption insted of aura + 1 to his invul and maybe give the deamon prince the black mace insted of Brand

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-13, 09:31 PM Thread Starter

Thanks for commenting guys! I absolutely agree on the lack of AT and AP2. My issue is that IMO the Chaos Termies look terrible, I simply don't want to use them :/ Unless I can convert them somehow but basically I'm not a big fan of any terminators I'm afraid.. How about I exchange one unit of thousand sons for a normal marine squad with 2 plasmas for AP2 and MoTz for fluff?

As for the Havocs you're right as well, autocannons would serve me way better it's just that I was looking for an all tzeentch army (hence the icon of flame that goes with heavy bolters and MoTz just for funsies). Though I'll probably have to go with autocannons to make them a bit more efficient Also for AT I was wondering if it'd be better to go with the Hades Autocannons instead of Baleflamer on the Helldrake? Or is vector striking the only way to go and flame things to death as well?

Well the reason I got the sorcerer the aura is that I didn't have the points for the sigil the same thing regarding the Daemon Prince, the mace is 15 points more expensive

Anyway I took your advice into account and came up with this (I know it still lacks a big of punch in both the AP2 and AT section so any further advice on how to improve after now is much appreciated as well )

HQ:
Chaos Sorcerer with Sigil of corruption, Spell familiar, Mark of Tzeentch, Mastery level 2.
140 p

Daemon Prince with Mark of Tzeencth, Wings, Power armour, The Black mace.
265 p

Troops:
9 Thousand Sons, Aspiring Sorcerer with Melta bombs.
247 p

9 Thousand Sons, Aspiring Sorcerer with Melta bombs.
247 p

10 Chaos Space Marines with Mark of Tzeentch, 2 Plasma guns.
190 p

Fast Attack:
Heldrake with Hades autocannon.
170 p

Heavy Support:

5 Havocs with 3 Autocannons, Aspiring Champion.
105 p

Total: 1364 points

Now this leaves me with approx 135 points for you to play with
And what I don't want to include is terminators or a forge-/maulerfiend, so hopefully that'll give you a little challenge

Last edited by Love XV8; 08-04-13 at 10:27 PM.
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-13, 10:31 PM

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Speaking as someone who plays Thousand Sons, and plays them pretty much like yours, here's some thoughts.

a. Bravo for running Rubics as your main force. it's a gutsy move, but one I support. Just keep in mind that they're slow, and you'll need some issues getting them across the field.

b. the 6+ on the standard Marines is... eh. Probably not really worth the points. useful, but not amazing. If you're not going to use 'real' Thousand Sons, I'd drop the Mark and just use them as unmarked Marines instead.

c. in my army, because I use a very 'gothic' theme to my army, I use Rubric models for Thousand Son marines. I use the Dark Angels upgrade sprue for other models... basically I 'robe up' my marines for Noise Marines (fire support) or Raptors. For Terminators, I agree with you for the appearance, so I use Grey Knights with a black/blue/gold paint scheme. There's another company whose name eludes me right now that sculpts robed legs for Terminator size, giving them a very Thousand Sons feel. Relik, I think?

4. Obliterators are a nice touch, giving you some much lacking Anti-tank.

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-04-13, 11:20 PM

xabre do u only have chaos and eldar or more armys too since we seen to have the same mind set in most lists other then u follow the wrong god NURGLE rules
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-13, 04:04 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Hmm, Love XV8, you could address the anti-tank by throwing in 3 bikers (or 5 raptors) with 2 meltas, for a nice suicide melta squad.

I would normally argue that the Baleflamer is the absolute best thing about the Heldrake, and that the Drake's BS3 makes a HAC a dubious choice, but you definitely already have a bunch of AP3 in the firm of your rubric marines and S8 sky fire shots aaaare nice...

As a suggested expansion to your CSM, you might want to consider some allied Tzeentchi Daemons, whose Divination psychic powers can easily help out with that BS3 issue (Prescience is a beautiful thing).

One beautiful combo is Havocs with the MoT on a Skyshield Landing Pad, since the 3+ invulnerable save means your Havocs are suddenly very, very durable.

ML3 on your Sorc is advisable, since you have to devote one power to the rather lackluster Tzeentch power tree, and the others would be the much more intimidating Biomancy or Telepathy.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-13, 10:04 AM

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

I like the idea of havocs with missile launchers and flakk missiles. I suppose if you've got the helldrake with the autocannon the anti air missiles possibly aren't necessary though. Autocannons are a good choice too. I'd be looking to increase the unit size in any case. Two or three more guys will make them tougher to kill, and keep your big guns firing for longer

I really like the idea of Thousand Son units, but I'm not sure I'd want to run three of them. I prefer the idea of two, then a load of horrors for dealing with light infantry (ah- just noticed one of your troops are regular CSM, never mind)

It's a shame Thousand Sons are so expensive. For my next army I'm thinking either Imperial Guard with Alpha Legion allies, or Tzeentch daemons with TS allies. What I might do is just go IG with AL allies, then paint up a small Thousand Son army as an alternative ally. I love TS but it's a pity they're so expensive
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-05-13, 12:10 PM

Straken's_Fist's Flag is: South Georgia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
It's a shame Thousand Sons are so expensive. For my next army I'm thinking either Imperial Guard with Alpha Legion allies, or Tzeentch daemons with TS allies.
Just to warn you, before you go out and buy Tzeentch Daemons: You can only take Thousand Sons as Troop choices for your Primary Detachment. If you take them as allies they can only be Elites, making them almost worthless. Tzeentch Daemons work well as the allied detachment though: A naked Tzeentch Herald giving a Havoc squad prescience....Twin-linked krak missiles actually negate the need for flakk missiles if you also have a Quad Gun and/or Heldrake. Add a Pink Horror squad on your home objective behind an Aegis who go to ground and get a re-rollable 2+ cover save (as they re-roll all saves of 1) and you are laughing...Not invincible (drop podding flamer templates and other 'ignores cover' templates will fuck you up), but nonetheless very hard to remove.

Love XV8: Another option aside from chaos bikers with melta for anti-tank could be a termincide squad of 3, with x3 combi-meltas. Maybe throw in a chainfist, though you probably wont get to use it as after you deep strike you are gonna get shot to pieces, so that is strictly optional.
Chaos Bikers are fantastic though: Mossy Toes recommended his Slaaneshi build (with IoE and MoS and plasma, though melta works for anti-tank too) and I have used them in all my games ever since (thanks, I am loving them!). Very fun unit and frequently underestimated. Even x3 unmarked melta bikes should serve you well as a suicide anti-tank squad. Just turbo-boost and huge cover until you are in range.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-06-13, 08:31 PM Thread Starter

Hi again folks and thank you all for taking your time and helping me out first of all though I'd like to points out that I'm not going for all competitiveness here, and really I'd like to stick with the chaos space marine codex (Man! the codices got expensive!). so I'm sorry to let you know it's a no for daemon allies, good idea though.

Yeah the MoTz is not worth it on regular CSM, that was just 20 p of fluff, but if I need points for something consider it dropped

Yeah I think I'll stick with the Hades Autocannon for the helldrake because like mentioned, even though it's only BS3 it does have 4 shots at S8 skyfire style

Also I'd like to get some more feedback on the daemon prince in particular as it's such a huge point sink. Is power armour a must? Is the mace worth it? Is it better to make him a fire breathing daemon again with the BboS?

Havocs might be equipped with missile launchers instead and get an increased unit size.

Oblits are definitely and option if I can come up with a conversion idea, they look even worse than termmies lol. But I probably will add these as they're so versatile.

I'll come back with a tweaked list

Thanks in advance guys, cheers!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Tags
chaos , fluff , thousand , tzeentch

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode