Need help Emperor's Children army 1500-1850 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-13-13, 09:59 PM Thread Starter

fett14622's Flag is: USA

Default Need help Emperor's Children army 1500-1850

Hi mates

I'm buying a Emperor's Children army. I need to still buy the new codex.

What else do I need to make it competitive in the 6th ED.?
Cheers,
Fett

This is what i'm getting:

Lucius The Eternal

10 Man Noise Marine Squad:
6 "Guitar" noise
1 Blastmaster (newer style)
1 doom siren
1 Asp Champion with icon and power fist

9 Emperor's Children CSM:
8 original emperor's children (cast lead)
1 Blastmaster (older style)

6 CSM:
5 with bolter/BP+CCW
1 Blastmaster (older style)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-13, 09:03 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Only Noise Marine squads of 10 or more models can buy a Blastmaster, unfortunately.

I would advise getting some Bikers with the Mark of Slaanesh and Icon of Excess, accompanied by a Lord with a bike, the Mark of Slaanesh, a Sigil of Corruption, a lightning claw and the Burning Brand of Slaanesh

Also consider getting a Mastery Level 3 Slaaneshi Sorcerer: bumping up the strength of your sonic weapons is always fun.

I'd also make some Noise Marines with CCWs and BPs, to join a champion with a Doom Siren and Lucius as a designated melee squad (in a rhino with a dirge caster). Two Doom Sirens in one squad is a nasty combo, and if you want to charge with a unit with sonic blasters, they can't shoot. Better to let them shoot with bolt pistols and then get a bonus attack in combat as well for having 2 CCWs.

So you want two types of Noise Marine squads, basically:
- Melee Noise Marines with CCW+BP and a champ with Doom Siren+Power Weapon (power sword or lightning claw, I'd say). This gives you a unit who will usually strike faster than Marines, at I5, and who has an AP3, S5 flamer--again, great for killing marines. It's important not to put a power axe or power fist on the champion, since you don't want to be striking last when the whole point of Mark of Slaanesh is to strike first. If you want some anti-tank, give him meltabombs.

- Ranged Noise Marines in squads of 10 models with a Blastmaster and Sonic Blasters. Leave the champ naked: you don't want the unit to be in combat, so points spent for him to be killy are pretty much wasted. This unit, when standing still, can pour out absolutely massive torrents of fire: 30 bolter shots and an AP3 small blast template that all ignore cover. Nothing to sniff at, even if they only have medium range.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-13, 12:32 PM

neferhet's Flag is: Italy

I'm with Mossy Toes. Model-speaking you just need 4 more noise marines to make legal the 2 blastmasters. Plus, about the cc kitted noise marines: don't waste money on the resin kit of noises...you just need some regular marines, maybe some bitz and add-on to slaaneshize them, and you'll be fine. of course the "guitar" marines are another thing.
bikes will serve you well. I'd say 6 of them (this way you can field a big nasty unit or two smaller ones).
The sorceror is good but it's not a must-have. If you are going to be fluffy about the Emperor's Children, you should avoid those psyonic guys
I'd say that you could invest in some heavy weapons havocs (usually the competitive build is 4 Autocannon or 4 Missile launchers)
a unit of 10-20 cultists may come handy. i guess yu'll find it easy and cheap to buy DV cultist on the ebay.
If you like vehicles...heldareke is the competitive "must have", 2 of them, i'd say (if your wage allow you to spend almost 100 $ for the two birdies)
and fluff-wise we have the evergreen Predator, as a cheap (even in cash, compared to non-scratchbuilt havocs) dakka-platform.

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-13, 01:25 PM

mynameisgrax's Flag is: USA

Seconding all the advice above, especially Mossy Toes' call for rhinos (too many AP 3 guns out there right now) and nerferhet's suggestion of cultists.

10-13 Cultists (without any upgrades, besides a flamer) are now the best choice for cheap objective grabbing. I'd always choose them over small units of regular chaos marines.

Don't get me wrong, regular Chaos Marines are great, but they're for doing damage, not sitting on objectives and doing nothing for most of the game.

The first casualty of war is neither innocence nor truth.

The first casualty of war is always subtlety.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-14-13, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mynameisgrax View Post
Seconding all the advice above, especially Mossy Toes' call for rhinos (too many AP 3 guns out there right now) and nerferhet's suggestion of cultists.

10-13 Cultists (without any upgrades, besides a flamer) are now the best choice for cheap objective grabbing. I'd always choose them over small units of regular chaos marines.

Don't get me wrong, regular Chaos Marines are great, but they're for doing damage, not sitting on objectives and doing nothing for most of the game.

definitely.
Still I have to point out that 2-3 rhinos as the only armor on the board are useful only at 1000 pts. otherwise...they just pop.
This edition is all about shooting and infantry. It has been said countless times (with the obvious exceptions). But that is not my point: I say that a newcomer can well skip the rhino parking lot and invest those 35 $ into another Marines box or bikes.
This said, if he can afford to spend 130 $ into the old "wheeled coffins"..nothing to complain! For me, i regret that investment...I wish I had stitched to the always useful infantry/havocs/plague marines.
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-13, 04:10 PM Thread Starter

Many thanks for replys mates

How are some of the new units?

Heldrake
Forgefiend
Maulerfiend

Are Obliterators still a good choise for Heavy?
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-15-13, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fett14622 View Post

Heldrake
Awesome. A very good Fast Attack Choice. It is awesome because it's a flyier, mind you, not inherently
Forgefiend
not competitive at all, viable almost only in mach heavy lists and in 3X
Maulerfiend
as above. plus, they are not the best heavy slot to crush tanks
oblits are still great as a support multirole heavy slot or, as i like to field them 2 teams of 2 each. this is beacuase they must swap weapon each turn. plus they dont like anymore to stay put in cover. to maximise effect they should walk the board
i have to note, however, that obliterators are not at all Emperor children fluffy...
cheers

Last edited by neferhet; 01-16-13 at 01:22 PM.
post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-13, 12:51 PM

VonMarlon's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by fett14622 View Post

Heldrake
Forgefiend
Maulerfiend

Helldrake is IMO the best CSM unit since sliced bread. It can dish out so much hurt against infantry with baleflamer and not to bad at taking mech out either (In same turn!), and it is one of the most durable flyers in the game right now on top. I'd say and I'm sure most would agree, it is a must have.

Oblits are still good.. kinda. They can be made more durable but IMO that doesn't make up for what they lost. I'd rather spend points on more FA units which are brutal in the new codex.

Don't know about the others. I hear Maulerfiend is the better overall of the 2 but again I'd rather spend more points on FA units than HS.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-13, 05:52 PM Thread Starter

Obliterators not fluffy for Emperor's children. Dang it. I want try to keep it as Fluffy as passable, but competitive too.

I will make a list and see what you guys think.

Cheers
post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 01-16-13, 06:04 PM

lockeF's Flag is: USA

To add into the blast-master advice, a new FAQ came out stating you can have 2 in a 10 man squad and 1 in a five man squad. Which is pretty sweet though expensive.

I think oblits are still worth it and honestly, can be fluffy if you model them slightly different. You could make them into some sort of mutated terminator with instrument type weapons on it. But that is just my opinion on it if you do really want to run it but feel weird about it not exactly being fluffy.

I second that the helldrake is a beast. Bikes are pretty solid. CSM with the MoS and an icon with CCWs can be very fierce and might be worth a shot.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode