1500 Nurgle - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-03-12, 07:21 AM Thread Starter
ZOMGZOR CUSTOM USER TITLE

scscofield's Flag is: USA

Default 1500 Nurgle

Typhus
3 MoN VoLW Obliterateors

MoN VoLW Chaos Lord w/ Black Mace, Sigil of corruption, Palanquin of Nurgle, Blight Grenades
35 Plague Zombies

Aegis Defense Line w/ QC
35 Plague Zombies
MoN Havocs w/ 4AC

4 MoN Chaos spawn
4 MoN Chaos spawn

Plan is Havocs behind ADL with the Champ manning the QC and 35 PZ as a buffer around them. The lord and the other 35 PZ go camp on a objective. Typhus D/S with the oblits and light something up then charge next turn. The spawn rush whatever is hiding in terrain.

Thoughts?

http://i.imgur.com/aPfHUHy.gif?1

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-04-12, 09:45 PM

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

I don't like it. No offense and I can't quite put my finger on why, but it doesn't seem very effective. I will try my best to elaborate.

The Havocs behind the Quad Gun
Since they all have to fire at the same target, you've basically got 6 Autocannons pointed at one thing. This to me seems like too many points targeted at one thing. Also known as overkill. Granted anything AV11 and most infantry will surely die it just seems like a lot. But I guess it is only 215 points. So maybe it's not so bad. Agh your list is weird!

Chaos Spawn
People are all crazy about these things because someone said you can get a million wounds for only a few points. I personally don't like them. They have no gun and no armor save (unless you roll it) and they aren't really that effective in combat. Have you used them before? Can they actually clear units off objectives? If they can then I am wrong, but I don't think they're that special.

The Lord and his Zombies
This setup seems like a waste of your Lord. He's up there in points to just be sitting around with some zombies on an objective. If these guys are sitting back that means only Typhus and the Spawn are rushing forward. Maybe the spawn are tough but when they're the only thing to shoot at they won't last long.

The other squad of zombies
Why do the havocs need a buffer? They've already got the Aegis Defense line. There's really not that much of a point to keep another squad in the back. Send them foward to give the enemy more things to shoot at.

Typhus and Oblits
You've got a lot of points tied up in 4 models. Granted they are tough as nails, they really have to kill a lot to get their points back. I expect they will kill the first thing they target at range or whatever they can charge but then what? They can only walk after that and can't run because of the Oblits Slow and Purposeful, so all they will really be doing is shooting. So if all they're doing is shooting, why do you need Typhus?

Those are just some thoughts, if this list works for you be sure to let me know so I can adapt my tactics. Otherwise, there's not much I can suggest to change because honestly I would scrap the whole thing Again, no offense.

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

Last edited by Iron_Freak220; 11-05-12 at 03:30 AM.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-12, 01:48 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iron_Freak220 View Post
I don't like it. No offense and I can't quite put my finger on why, but it doesn't seem very effective. I will try my best to elaborate.

The Havocs behind the Quad Gun
Since they all have to fire at the same target, you've basically got 6 Autocannons pointed at one thing. This to me seems like too many points targeted at one thing. Also known as overkill. Granted anything AV11 and most infantry will surely die it just seems like a lot. But I guess it is only 215 points. So maybe it's not so bad. Agh you're list is weird!

The Havocs ended up doing fairly decent, I am a fan of the cheap overkill honestly. Having the QC being manned by the Champ means it has precision shots so that can be a decent perk depending on what they are shooting at.

Chaos Spawn
People are all crazy about these things because someone said you can get a million wounds for only a few points. I personally don't like them. They have no gun and no armor save (unless you roll it) and they aren't really that effective in combat. Have you used them before? Can they actually clear units off objectives? If they can then I am wrong, but I don't think they're that special.

They were something I wanted to try out, on paper they looked fast and really tough to kill. They do lack armor and real killing power though, one unit got shot off the board, the other tarpitted a unit of sternguard for 3 turns before the spawn finally died. Overall unimpressed with them and most likely not run them again.

The Lord and his Zombies
This setup seems like a waste of your Lord. He's up there in points to just be sitting around with some zombies on an objective. If these guys are sitting back that means only Typhus and the Spawn are rushing forward. Maybe the spawn are tough but when they're the only thing to shoot at they won't last long.

The unit ended up in a massive pile of combat with the remains of the sternguard that killed off the spawn, and 2 assault squads with a libby. I was playing against BA. It ended up being my Lord eating a guy in challenge each turn while the zombies just sat there. The game ended after turn 5 and I had the lord and 13 PZ left. I made a lot of 6+ armor saves and feel no pain saves though. The pile did not kill much of the marines, maybe 6 total across 3 turns of combat. The Black Mace never got to go off during the combat, the BA player made all his initial toughness saves.

The other squad of zombies
Why do the havocs need a buffer? They've already got the Aegis Defense line. There's really not that much of a point to keep another squad in the back. Send them foward to give the enemy more things to shoot at.

I ended up advancing them towards the other combat, if the game had lasted another turn it would have just been more tarpitting bodies in the giant midfield cluster.

Typhus and Oblits
You've got a lot of points tied up in 4 models. Granted they are tough as nails, they really have to kill a lot to get their points back. I expect they will kill the first thing they target at range or whatever they can charge but then what? They can only walk after that and can't run because of the Oblits Slow and Purposeful, so all they will really be doing is shooting. So if all they're doing is shooting, why do you need Typhus?

They came down, they nuked a unit, then spent the next couple turns nuking stuff from behind a rock that screened them from the BA heavy weapons. I split Typhus off and he was heading towards the BA HS when the game ended.

Those are just some thoughts, if this list works for you be sure to let me know so I can adapt my tactics. Otherwise, there's not much I can suggest to change because honestly I would scrap the whole thing Again, no offense.

I take no offense, I was making the list more with modeling theme in mind than actual playing. The list had a lot of staying power in it but overall not a lot of killing power. I would like to run something along the lines of it but not sure what I want to cut and keep at the moment. The spawn are out, I only ran the second squad because I did not have something I could proxie the Heldrake I have sitting on my desk waiting for a Air Brush Xmas gift.

I am going to be modeling a Nordic theme to all my armies and this one was screaming the armies of Hel. I still want to do this and like the idea of it, I just need to make a better Nurgle list. I do not want to rely on the whole tally thing, it seems to be a gimmik that is going to get FaQed soon to me.

I have the Heldrake and the DV starter CSM units so far, both gifts from my bday and I want to playtest, plan what I buy long before I do so this time. My SW ended up being this large massive pile of little used or unbuilt stuff because I let Ebay sweet talk me. Much of it will end up being split into other ally marine units but I want to be smart with the CSM purchases.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-12, 02:06 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by scscofield View Post
The Black Mace never got to go off during the combat, the BA player made all his initial toughness saves.
Hmmm? If the Lord inflicts any wounds with it it goes off; the toughness test for causing Instant Death on the wounded model and the aura of toughness tests are both triggered by that/those unsaved wound(s).

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-12, 02:26 AM Thread Starter

Hmmm will have to reread the entry. I was reading it as the first toughness test has to fail for the other tests to be triggered.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-12, 03:35 AM

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

Thank you for replying with your thoughts on how the units performed. Very helpful!

As for cutting, you're already dropping the Spawn and I would also drop Typhus. You said all he did after the he came in was try and chase a unit. That's a lot of points to just have him running around. Maybe replace him with a Nurgle Biker Lord and the Spawn with Nurgle Bikes? Or Nurgle Raptors if you want to be different.

Or one of my favorites, Daemon Prince of Nurgle with Wings and the Black Mace. Obviously you would have to take it from the original Lord.

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-05-12, 03:59 AM Thread Starter

What to in place of the pz then? Plague Marines? They seem really pricey

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-06-12, 02:30 AM

davespil's Flag is: USA

Take a squad of CSM. They are cheaper now and worth the price, maybe two plasma or two melta. Nurgle bikes are a good idea. I want to try some raptors with MoN.

Have guns, will travel...
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 11-08-12, 11:26 PM Thread Starter

How about this:

MoN Bike Chaos Lord w/ Blight Grenades, Black Mace, SoC, MB, Plas Pistol

5 MoN Bikes w/ Plasma gun Meltagun Champ- GoM MB

7 Plague Marines 2 Plasma gun Rhino
7 Plague Marines 2 Plasma gun Rhino

Forgefiend w/ HAC
Forgefiend w/ HAC

Maulerfiend w/ Lash

Heldrake w/ BF

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode