2000 pts of more 'Holy' Crazy! - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 02:48 AM Thread Starter

Xabre's Flag is: USA

Default 2000 pts of more 'Holy' Crazy!

So some people may have seen in the Warhammer Fantasy army lists that I posted an 'angelic' army list... I've always loved the idea of creating a force of Angels or fallen angels, using Counts-As with a good army as a base. In Fantasy, i went with Warriors of Chaos, with a Daemon Prince as the rules for a giant Archangel guiding a field of tarnished, fallen Crusaders.

I've been considering doing the same design for 40k. My first (and most obvious) attempt involved Blood Angels and Grey Knights, but i wanted something a little bit more unique. So without further ado....

----

Primary Detachment: Chaos Space Marines

Chaos Lord -- 150 pts
Lightning Claws x2
Melta Bombs
Jump Pack
Sigil of Corruption
Gift of Mutation

Chaos Lord -- 150 pts
Lightning Claws x2
Melta Bombs
Jump Pack
Sigil of Corruption
Gift of Mutation

These two are designed as warrior angels. Fast, powerful, winged, and durable.

Warp Talons -- 320 pts
9+1 models
Gift of Mutation

Warp Talons -- 320 pts
9+1 models
Gift of Mutation

Warp Talons -- 320 pts
9+1 models
Gift of Mutation

These are expensive, but these are really my 'troops' of Angels, swooping down with their flaming swords.

Chaos Cultists -- 102 pts
19+1 models
Flamer x2
Shotgun on Champ

Chaos Cultists -- 102 pts
19+1 models
Flamer x2
Shotgun on Champ

What holy army would be complete without a pack of unwashed zealots?

Secondary Detachment: Chaos Daemons

Herald of Tzeentch -- 100 pts
Chariot
Master of Sorcery
Bolt of Tzeentch

An Angelic Herald on his golden chariot, wielding blinding light.

Pink Horrors -- 95 pts
5 models
Bolt of Tzeentch

Pink Horrors -- 95 pts
5 models
Bolt of Tzeentch

I was thinking about modeling these guys as 'lantern archons', if anyone knows D&D. Basically just kinda glowing wisps of golden light, hurling bolts of divine energy.

Daemon Prince of Chaos
Daemonic Flight
Iron Hide
Mark of Tzeentch
Bolt of Tzeentch

This is the Archangel, the army centerpiece. The armored, golden angel with the shining sword hurling holy fire.

Total: 1984 pts

Obviously it's fluff-heavy and fun more than anything else. It lacks anti tank something awful, only having some Meltabombs on the Lords and the Bolts of Tzeentch on all the daemons. Originally I was considering throwing some Marks onto the Warp Talons, possibly MoS for a better initiative with their claws, but I wanted to have the Bolts instead. Might be worth stripping the utterly random Gifts of Mutation and bulking up a Horror or two.

I'd love some suggestions, keeping in mind the 'fluff' of the army. A tank just isn't gonna cut it here folks.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 03:05 AM

jesse's Flag is: USA

I know you really like warp talons, but im not convinced that theyre worth the points.
You could switch them to regular old raptors to similar effect with the added bonus of being able to take special weapons. Id run them with MoS so the champ could win challenges before he dies
If youre hell bent on keeping them, id suggest dropping at least one of the squads for more horrors.
Another thing, you have three units csm units that can deepstrike, so why no key? You could put one of your lords on a bike with a sword and a key. Then youre Dsing units wont scatter. Plus you could put him on a horse.
Happy hunting

a skulltower is just one of those things.
and like all other things in life you have to respect it.
or it will f**k your s**t up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
I suppose it may be to do with Slaanesh's themes, after all horrific rape, incest and perversion among other things can be viewed as weird by others.

Personally I like Slaanesh, I find his followers interesting.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Svartmetall View Post
Nurgle for life!
*makes vague attempt at gang sign sort of thing before giving up and going back to making more Nurgle stuff*
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 03:26 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

A Changeling on those Horrors wouldn't be amiss--looking upon this golden paragon, the enemy unit is filled with shame and turn their weapons upon their craven fellows...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 04:33 AM

TheLaughingMan's Flag is: Australia

Correct me if I am worng here (and most likely that I am) but aren't you allowed to have only 2 HQ choices? So why are there 2 Chaos Lords and a Daemon Prince?

TheLaughingMan

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 04:36 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Allies--that Prince (if you look at the upgrades he's bought) is a Chaos Daemons Heavy Support choice, not a CSM HQ choice.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 07:33 AM

Khorothis's Flag is: Hungary

First, don't you ever DS with the Talons. Ever. With or without a Key. There is no point, since they have no shooting weapons. Better just to fly through the board.

I'd try to shave some points from the CSM part (mainly Gifts but maybe having 9 man in each Talon squad might end up necessary/well) to get the Talons MoT for the yummy 4++. Additionally, I'd drop a whole squad of Talons for Oblits with MoT (Paladins of Dakka, if you will) and replace the Daemon Prince with Fateweaver, because shenanigans. Tons of shenanigans.

The fool, the coward, and the ignorant proclaim that the warp is a realm of unknowable peril and indescribable terror, that it is the hell of countless ancient myths and legends. This is a lie, told by those whose authority is based on lies, to keep the masses terrified of the unknown. The warp is limitless power and its secrets are infinite; it is knowledge and strength, life and death, and the untapped potential to make and remake worlds. It takes only the discipline and the will to shape it; those who lack that clarity of purpose are liable to be shaped by it instead.

- Ahzek Ahriman of the Thousand Sons
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 01:08 PM Thread Starter

I'm not set in stone on the Warp Talons, they just seem like such good 'Warrior Angels'... with the fiery swords, the Fear, even the Blinding light if they Strike in. But they're disgustingly expensive, sadly. They just seemed like such a better choice for what i wanted than the Raptors.

If I drop the Herald and the CD Daemon Prince, I can use the points for a Fateweaver instead. I have no problem with doing that, making Fateweaver the 'archangel'. If I send him forward with all those Talons, make sure he's there near the lords and the Talons and everything else flying forward he can help support their saves. He's not as strong in close combat, but...

IF I switched Warp Talons to Raptors, I could throw in a few meltas for anti tank, or maybe some plasmas, and get enough points to slap in an Oblit or three. Haven't done the exact math yet.

I don't think I can find the points, however, to Tzeentch up the Talons. I'd need ALOT of points for that.

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 01:38 PM

Blood_Knight's Flag is: USA

i will concur that warp talons are not worth the coin they cost. if you want jump packs, id stick with raptors.
The laughing Man - 2 HQs is fine, he has two detachments, infact he has to have atleast 2, up to 4. so hes good.
if you drop the talons for raptors, and shave or change a few more things at your discretion, you could add a hell drake in there. imagine the possibilities with that plus you have no flyer defense as it is.

People take time to comment. So reply in kind

My Khorne/Nurgle army project log
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 02:31 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blood_Knight View Post
i will concur that warp talons are not worth the coin they cost. if you want jump packs, id stick with raptors.
The laughing Man - 2 HQs is fine, he has two detachments, infact he has to have atleast 2, up to 4. so hes good.
if you drop the talons for raptors, and shave or change a few more things at your discretion, you could add a hell drake in there. imagine the possibilities with that plus you have no flyer defense as it is.
Actually, it's still only a single detachment because there's only 2 (fairly overlooked) troops of Cultists. There's an allied detachment for either the herald or a Fateweaver, depending on how I run it. For that same reason, you couldn't field a Helldrake without dropping a full squad of the raptors, or finding room for 2 more packs of Cultists. I suppose I could break up the 20-unit blocks into 4 tens...

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 11-02-12, 02:54 PM

Blood_Knight's Flag is: USA

no. with a second allied detachment. you have to have 4 troop choices and 2 HQs. with the two lords, herald, 2 cultist units and 2 horror units, you fill the requirements. so its no big deal

i would drop a unit of the warp talons (provided you take them) and you can get almost 2 heldrakes for the points. you might be surprised. and having a second allied detachment, you can take up to 6 elites/fast/heavy slots.

People take time to comment. So reply in kind

My Khorne/Nurgle army project log

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode