1750 Abaddon's Chosen Ones - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-28-12, 09:44 PM Thread Starter

Default 1750 Abaddon's Chosen Ones

According to the 6th ed Codex, Choosing Abaddon as an HQ choice, the elite Chosen squads become troops choices which means they count as scoring units. The doctrine or play style is firestorm or 12" rapid fire. So every chosen is trying to get 12" to shoot at the enemy. That means that the army is vulnerable to close combat and long range. Therefore this army must try to rush gun lines or run away from close combat.

HQ: Abaddon, [265]

Elite: Termi+3 bodies, 5 Combi-melta/plasma/flamer+ 1 Heavy Flamer+ 1Chain fist [235]

Troop:

A.) Chosen+3 bodies, 1 Flamer+ 4 Meltaguns, Rhino+Combi-Melta+Extra Armor [244]
B.) Chosen+3 bodies, 1 Flamer+ 4 Meltaguns, Rhino+Combi-Melta+Extra Armor [244]
C.) Chosen+3 bodies, 1 Flamer+ 4 Plasmaguns, Rhino+Havoc Launcher [256]
D.) Chosen+3 bodies, 1 Flamer+ 4 Plasmaguns, Rhino+Havoc Launcher [256]
E.)

Heavy:
A. Predator, lascannon sponson+extra armor [125]
B. Predator, Lascannon sponson+extra armor [125]

I chose to deep strike abby with 6 terminators with a small chance that maybe he could do something like land near enemy artillery in the back and destroy it... That chance is too low in my opinion and is not a very reliable gambit. However, the chance that a Land Raider gets destroyed by two forge fiend's 8 S8 ap4 shots (16 total) is just too high in my opinion. Not only that, I have to worry about all the dark lances a DE army can field.

I wanna change the name of this army to, "Not Abaddon's First Choice," or, "Abaddon's UnChosen Ones." Because in the fluff, Abaddon's Chosen Ones are the Lords; Ravager, Deciever, Corruptor, Purgator. I field no slanesh champ, tzeench sorcerror, nurgle champ, or khorne champ.

Last edited by Filch; 11-26-12 at 08:05 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 (permalink) Old 10-29-12, 01:07 AM

Iron_Freak220's Flag is: USA

I would drop the extra armor on the Rhinos in favor of power axes/swords on the Chosen Champs to give them that little extra help in close combat that you identified as missing.

I would also drop the Predators for Vindicators because you've already got the anti-armor with all the melta and plasma guns. The Vindicators will help with hordes as well as armor.

Chaos Space Marines: Stay Spikey

Codex: The Ascended (Malice) WIP

Forging the Corruptor

Forum Formula Forever!

post #3 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-01-12, 07:02 PM

Khorothis's Flag is: Hungary

Chosen are actually meant for close combat when you compare them to the regular CSM. Chosen for Troops is only a good idea if you have a strong plan to use them and support units to clear out objectives and hold them. This means that for their job they're best with MoN. However, I don't see any kind of support units and those Preds will die in seconds. Or it's just me who has extremely skilled and equipped players to play against (when I build a list, I try to imagine how would they handle 3 Basilisks, 3 Plasma Russes, 3 Vendettas with melta vets and some extra Chimeras at around 1500-1850 pts; very educational).

The fool, the coward, and the ignorant proclaim that the warp is a realm of unknowable peril and indescribable terror, that it is the hell of countless ancient myths and legends. This is a lie, told by those whose authority is based on lies, to keep the masses terrified of the unknown. The warp is limitless power and its secrets are infinite; it is knowledge and strength, life and death, and the untapped potential to make and remake worlds. It takes only the discipline and the will to shape it; those who lack that clarity of purpose are liable to be shaped by it instead.

- Ahzek Ahriman of the Thousand Sons

post #4 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-12, 10:13 PM Thread Starter

Just did a play test sunday against Grey Knights.

He had a varied and generalized list incorporating variety to test.
I think if he had used his regular list, I would not have tabled him.

I had a big problem with his Storm Raven. I realized I could not shoot at flyers at all so I ignored it. I had to roll 6 to shoot and hit with str7 to even glance. Having 8 plasma guns helped but it did nothing as I was never able to roll 6s to hit.

I also had major problems handling his termi with the halberds. I could not do anything as he hit at I6 and wiped out my squads. However, my terminators were able to handle his 6 termi well enough with only my 2+Abby remaining.

My predators were able to shoot down his Nemesis Knight, but it took 3 turns.

The chosen with melta guns did not do much since most things would be farther than 12"
post #5 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-05-12, 11:34 PM

Dallas_Drake's Flag is: Yugoslavia

CSM have no way to deal with deathstars & Chosen are just overpriced for what you get.

Only way to run them is with 5 x plasma IMO.

Dallas
post #6 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-09-12, 04:43 AM Thread Starter

New list update

HQ: Abaddon (Deepstrike with Termi) [265]

Elite: Terminators+3, Heavy Flamer+ 2 combi-melta+ 1 combi-Flamer [213]

Troop A: Chosen+2, 2 Flamers + 3 Plasmaguns + Champ with melta bomb, Rhino+ Havoc Launcher [233]
Troop B: Chosen+2, 2 Flamers + 3 Plasmaguns +Champ with melta bomb, Rhino+ Havoc Launcher [233]
Troop C: Chosen+2, 2 Flamers + 3 Plasmaguns +Champ with melta bomb, Rhino+ Havoc Launcher [233]
Troop D: Chosen+2, 2 Flamers + 3 Plasmaguns +Champ with melta bomb, Rhino+ Havoc Launcher [233]

Fast A: Hell Drake (HAC to shoot down other flyers) [170]
Fast B: Hell Drake (HAC to shoot down other flyers) [170]

I shaved down the Chosen Squads by one man each. I swapped out 1 plasma gun for one more flamer so I can kill more enemies who charge them. I gave the champs a melta bomb to deal with non-walker vehicles.

I never used flyers before, but I decided to fight fire with fire. In my play test, I could not scratch the flyer. My alternative would be to field Havocs with flakk missles. A squad of 5 and 4 Missile Launchers with flakk missiles still cost 5 pts more than a Hell Drake and is grounded and not very mobile.
post #7 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 01:16 AM Thread Starter

I playtested against a shooty ork army. He had 2 dakka jets, a mob of 30 weird boys, 2 groups of shooters with s7 with d3 hits, the big tank with the steam roller front carrying burna boyz, and 2 trucks with boyz.

I was massively outnumbered and out gunned. I made so many mistakes such as moving my units into their lane of fire and I charged their burna boyz. The game was a tie since I denied an objective with my remaining termi squad, it was a game of big guns never tire, he destroyed my 2 predators and got 2 points, but I destroyed his one tank with the steam roller so I got one point and I got first blood only because he teleported his weird boyz and mishapped. I would consider it a loss since if he did not have the rotten luck of losing his mob of 30 weird boyz, he would have tabled me. He still had the 2 dakka jets that I could never shoot down, 2 of those heavy shoota with the d3 shots and S7 guns, and his warboss and his nobz with claws survived my Abaddon and few terminators. All I had left was the termi squad.

I learned that my rhinos were toilet paper thin to S7 and S6 dakka shots. I learned that I really needed flyer's of my own to combat enemy fliers. I learned that his Pain boy with the Feel No pain special rule protected his boyz too darn well from my plasma guns.

I think I should give my chosen mark of Slaanesh so they can get the respective icon which would endow them with fnp.

So I wanna try a rough draft without point computation

Abaddon

Terminators, Heavy Flamer, Combi Plasma/Flamer/Melta

6 Chosen, 5 Meltaguns, MoS, IoE, Rhino
6 Chosen, 5 Flamers, MoS, IoE, Rhino
6 Chosen, 5 Plasmagun, Rhino, Havoc Launcher
10 Cultists, Rhino, Havoc Launcher

Hell Drake (Hades Auto Cannon)
Hell Drake (Bale Flamer)

Wish me luck trying to fit this under 2k or 1750
post #8 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-14-12, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filch View Post
Abaddon

Terminators, Heavy Flamer, Combi Plasma/Flamer/Melta

6 Chosen, 5 Meltaguns, MoS, IoE, Rhino
6 Chosen, 5 Flamers, MoS, IoE, Rhino
IoE+MoS is too costly to protect just 6 marines, the 5+ wont save enough of them to justify the price tag (5+ on 6wounds means you save 2 of them, for 42points)
all good
unfortunately cultists cannot take rhinos anyway 2 10man units lurking in reserve and running for objectives are a good idea imo

Hell Drake (Hades Auto Cannon)
Hell Drake (Bale Flamer)
I'd keep 2 bale flamers, you'll have more problems with hordes than with mech given the rest of the list
Wish me luck trying to fit this under 2k or 1750
comments in green, is it just me or Abaddon seems really out of place in a chosen army? lol
post #9 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-12, 07:57 PM Thread Starter

Thank you paolodistruggiuova.

Since the marks and icon is too expensive to save 6 men squads I decided to drop it. I also decided to drop cultists since I cant take them in rhinos.

Since I only have one Helldrake at the moment, I have opted to use the Hades auto cannon so it has a chance to vector strike a flyer and still shoot at the 2nd flyer. If I had 2 drakes, and could fit it in my list, I would use 2 bale flamers. dont worry I magnetized the face so i can swap out the guns.

The list I will be using for now and have fully assembled is this:

Abaddon [265]

7 Chosen, 5 Flamers, [151]
riding with Abby in a Land Raider, Daemonic Possession, Dirge Caster [250]
(start game with Abaddon attached to these Chosen ready to embark on the Land Raider since it is not a dedicated transport)
7 Chosen, 5 Meltaguns, Rhino [211]

7 Chosen, 5 Meltaguns, Rhino [211]

7 Chosen, 5 Plasmaguns, Rhino, Havoc Launcher [248]

7 Chosen, 5 Plasmaguns, Rhino, Havoc Launcher [248]

Helldrake, Hades AutoCannon [170]

all at 1754 points

Last edited by Filch; 11-15-12 at 08:11 PM.
post #10 of 32 (permalink) Old 11-15-12, 08:28 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Filch View Post

7 Chosen, 5 Flamers, [151]
riding with Abby in a Land Raider, Daemonic Possession, Dirge Caster [250]
(start game with Abaddon attached to these Chosen ready to embark on the Land Raider since it is not a dedicated transport)
don't stick abby in a possessed vehicle, it may eat him

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode