Nurgle CSM 1,500 looking to make stronger - Page 3 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-12, 03:47 AM Thread Starter

Imperial Dragon's Flag is: Australia

Hq
Daemon prince - 155
Wings
MoS
Lash

Greater daemon 100

Elites
7 chosen 226
4 melta guns
Champ
Rhino
Havoc

Troops
7 plague marines - 245
Champ
2 melta guns
Rhino
Havoc

7 plague marines - 235
2 melta guns
Rhino
Havoc

7 plague marines - 235
2 melta guns
Rhino
Havoc

Heavy Support
2 Obliterators - 150

2 Obliterators - 150

Well here is a list with PF on and champs, the idea on paper seems alright but this is one I would really have to test this one out, I feel that the PM are kind of paper thin now, but I'll see what people say and all that before I go with it or not, I do think it's a neat idea though.
I could knock out some chosen and upgrades to add one more oblit to the team but I'm unsure of that. I also added lash to help redirect units to and from my other units.

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

Aun'shi of the Tau Empire
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-12, 12:28 PM

If you drop some of the havoc launchers and the greater daemon you could take a defiler, which I'd prefer to go for.

Also I disagree about death guard in close combat... They're overpriced because its an old codex but they all have two attacks get wounded on 5's for most things, 6's for things like dark eldar and guard (and anybody who thinks guard are bad in CC should try charging a 30 man squad and a commissar with a carnifex... ), then you have essentially a 2+ save from FNP. The only big downfall is a slightly lower initiative, but imo that just makes the power fist all the more sensible for them.

I mean sure, they're not designed to be a CC unit, but they're a damned sight better at it than most marines.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-10-12, 12:41 PM
Rattlehead

The Chosen have too many Meltaguns and too many guys in the squad - five dudes with three meltaguns will still kill pretty much any tank you care to mention, so save the points. Lose Lash and Mark of Slaanesh on the Prince and give him Mark of Nurgle - you want the Prince in combat, and Lash is a shooting attack, so you're wasting Lash if he's in combat but you're wasting his raw stats if you're out of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crabid View Post
If you drop some of the havoc launchers and the greater daemon you could take a defiler, which I'd prefer to go for.
He has blast weapons in the Havoc Launchers, and the Greater Daemon is a more credible threat in close combat than a Defiler due to the all-important Initiative stat.

Quote:
Also I disagree about death guard in close combat... They're overpriced because its an old codex but they all have two attacks get wounded on 5's for most things, 6's for things like dark eldar and guard (and anybody who thinks guard are bad in CC should try charging a 30 man squad and a commissar with a carnifex... ), then you have essentially a 2+ save from FNP. The only big downfall is a slightly lower initiative, but imo that just makes the power fist all the more sensible for them.
Being tough and having more than one attack doesn't make you into a good combat unit. Berzerkers are 'good', with four Strength 5 Initiative 5 attacks at WS5. Plague Marines, which strike at I3 with low numbers of attacks that allow saves (despite having 2 attacks each, at 23pts a pop you aren't getting many dudes). Plagues can tarpit units until the Daemon Prince, Greater Daemon or Terminators arrive to help them out, but they won't win combat alone.

Quote:
I mean sure, they're not designed to be a CC unit, but they're a damned sight better at it than most marines.
Except they're not really. They have a low model count, and have an extra attack at the cost of one initiative. They aren't good in close combat - they're good at sitting there and absorbing hits, doing minimal damage of their own, until someone turns up to rescue them. Paying 40pts for 2 swings with a Power Fist doesn't make them any better - REAL assault units will beat you up, Fist or no.

Let me put it this way - how scared are you of vanilla Assault Marines? That's slightly more threatening than Plague Marines in close combat. Initiative is a vitally important stat that should never be overlooked.

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).

Last edited by MidnightSun; 04-10-12 at 12:45 PM.

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-12, 02:03 AM Thread Starter

Sorry been a bit busy lately, i'll post up one more list and i reckon that will be the last. I wouldn't imang much else needing to change after that, so thanks for everyones help i'm looking forward to playing with it.

Hq
Daemon prince - 140
Wings
MoN

Greater daemon 100

Elites
5 chosen 165
3 melta guns
Champ
Rhino
Havoc

Troops
7 plague marines - 245
Champ
2 melta guns
Rhino
Havoc

7 plague marines - 235
2 melta guns
Rhino
Havoc

7 plague marines - 235
2 melta guns
Rhino
Havoc

Heavy Support
3 Obliterators - 225

2 Obliterators - 150

How ironic it is that as fast as we spread progress and hope throughout the galaxy, the Tyranids spread death and despair. Only united can we hope to stand against them.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-15-12, 12:43 PM
Rattlehead

Solid. I like it, I like it a lot - it's got ways to deal with a range of enemies, whilst remaining largely T5+ and mechanized, with tough target saturation - do you go for the Prince, the Greater Daemon, the Obliterators, or the Rhino Rush?

Midnight

Creator of Utilitarian Ultramarines Memes - join the XIII on Facebook (no XVII allowed).
post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-16-12, 07:35 PM

allisalie's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imperial Dragon View Post

Hq
Daemon prince - 140
Wings
MoN

Greater daemon 100

Elites
5 chosen
2 melta guns
Champ
Rhino

Troops
7 plague marines - 235
Champ
2 melta guns
Rhino
Havoc

7 plague marines - 235
Champ
2 melta guns
Rhino
Havoc

5 plague marines -
2 plasma guns
Rhino
Havoc

Heavy Support

2 Obliterators - 150

2 Obliterators - 150

2 Obliterators - 150
I'm not positive on points as i dont have my codex with me this week but I did a quick check and think it's under 1,5k so that's alright. I've given you another oblit so that's 3 squads of 2. You will find you can do a lot more killing that way.

The 5 man squad of chosen only has 2 mg... I find the best way to use them is to go for drive byes. Don't get them out if u can't help it. This way u can only shoot 2 anyhow so u don't need any more. Save the points.

1 squad of Plague marines dropped to 5 and mg changed to plasma. Use them for home objective camping. This mean the rest of ur army can go and do what you want them to do.

Couple ideas for you

Last edited by allisalie; 04-16-12 at 07:52 PM.
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 04:20 AM Thread Starter

I do like the chosen and extra oblit but I I'm really unsure of a 5 pm squad having those 2 extra bodies could come in handy since I've never played with any number then 7 I've tried but it doesn't work for me haha but that is some good food for thought that I can look into later on, thanks for all the ideas though

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-18-12, 03:49 PM
Great Unclean One

Svartmetall's Flag is: Wales

Well, I have a match with a mate of mine tonight (he's bringing his Dark Eldar) and will be using this list:

HQ
• Daemon Prince of Nurgle
- Mark of Nurgle; Wings; Warptime
175 points

ELITES
• 5 Plague Terminators
– heavy flamer and chainfist; 4 combi-meltas
190 points

TROOPS
• 7 Plague Marines
– Plague Champion with powerfist, twin-linked bolter and Personal Icon; 2 meltaguns; Rhino
266 points
• 7 Plague Marines – Plague Champion with powerfist; 2 meltaguns; Rhino
256 points
• 7 Plague Marines – Plague Champion with powerfist; 2 flamers; Rhino
246 points
• 5 Plaguebearers
65 points

HEAVY SUPPORT
• 2 Obliterators

150 points
• 2 Obliterators
150 points

TOTAL:
1,498 points

I tried this list before against SilverTabby's Sisters, and despite appalling dice luck it seemed to be a promising way to distribute 1,500 points. The Plaguebearers, being able to assault in the same turn that they deep strike in, made a great emergency assist for the lead Plague Marine squad and decisively chewed up a ton of Gaunts.

EDIT: And it worked beautifully. We were playing Seize Ground, but by my Turn 4 Assault phase I'd completely wiped his army out Once again the Plaguebearers punched well above their weight, and the DP was awesome - after getting taken down to 1 remaining wound by the end of Turn 2, he charged into a unit of Wyches and killed 5 in one round so that they broke and then got wiped out. It was actually my first ever truly decisive victory...

The ever-growing horde of Death Guard: Pandemic
Nurgle Daemons army: Angels of Disease
Death Guard fiction: 'Incursion'
Nurgle 101 Tutorial

THE IMPERIUM TONIGHT #1, #2, #3

Last edited by Svartmetall; 04-19-12 at 03:41 PM.
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 03:33 AM Thread Starter

Thank you for that insight to that kind of list, it's kind of like the list I started with, but I will have to try the other list I have posted up, along with this list to see which way I do favor more, or I might end up with a mix of both. Thanks for posting

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 04-24-12, 06:23 PM
Rattlehead

Svart, as a matter of interest do you still find Warptime worth the 25pts? I think that now it's losing out to Wind of Chaos, but I'd be interested to now what you think (I haven't run it at all since the update, just done some hypothetical dice rolling).

Midnight

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Marines Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode