Ideas based on models owned - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-11-11, 01:38 AM Thread Starter

Default Ideas based on models owned

Hello all,
I am getting back into the hobby and noticed that Daemons have been given their own codex. I normally play IG and never really do competitive (just not gotten that far into it). I have some of my older models from daemons and purchased a few new ones and would like to get some different opinions of where I could go with what I have now.

I have read a lot on Soul Grinder vs Daemon Prince and I do plan on buying another Soul Grinder. I know it may not be the BEST gaming choice, I just love the model.

Models owned:

Lord of Change
Tzeentch model on foot (could be a herald)
10 Horrors (newer models)
40 some odd REALLY old Horrors (rather not use these, I don't like the look)
The Changeling
5 Screamers of Tzeentch
5 Flamers of Tzeentch
10 Deamonettes
Masque
2 Fiends of Slaanesh
Daemon Prince (has wings)
Soul Grinder

Initial thoughts for a starting list of 800 were:

Masque
Fiend of Slaanesh
Fiend of Slaanesh
Flamers of Tzeentch x3
Pink Horrors x5 + Changling + Bolt
Pink Horrors x5 + Bolt
Daemonettes x5
Daemonettes x5
Screamers of Tzeentch
Soul Grinder

Thoughts were to use Masque to pull people out of cover and manipulate battlefield to my desires and use speed of fiends and Screamers to select my targets.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-12-11, 07:35 PM Thread Starter

Well,

Here is where I am thinking I could end up at for 1500 points.

Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, Bolt, Master of Sorcery
Herald of Tzeentch, Chariot, Bolt, Master of Sorcery
Herald of Slaanesh, Unholy Might
Herald of Slannesh, Unholy Might

Flamer of Tzeentch x 3
Fiend of Slaanesh
Fiend of Slaanesh

Horrors x5, Bolt
Horrors x5, Bolt
Horrors x4, Bolt, Changeling
Daemonettes x5
Daemonettes x5
Daemonettes x6

Soul Grinder, Phlegm
Soul Grinder, Phlegm
Soul Grinder, Phlegm

This is not for competitive play, but I would like a decent enough list to enjoy the game. My thoughts were to put the heralds of Slaanesh into the five daemonette units and then choosing the following waves:

Wave 1:
Herald of Tzeentch
Herald of Tzeentch
Herald of Slaanesh in Daemonette unit of five
Herald of Slaanesh in Daemonette unit of five
Daemonette unit of six
Fiend of Slaanesh
Fiend of Slaanesh

Remaining units:
Flamers x3
Horrors x5
Horrors x5
Horrors x5
Soul Grinder
Soul Grinder
Soul Grinder

Chaos theory at it's best. I could mix and have two even lists but I don't know, I rather enjoy the thought it may not go my way haha!

Any constructive critism would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Tim
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-14-11, 04:07 AM

I'd say to ditch the daemonettes. Their frailty means to get 10-15 strong units with gaze for effectiveness.

The heralds of slaanesh, not in chariots are useless. I find any herald not mounted save for maybe foot-skulltaker in a bloodcrushers unit, is worthless as they're essentially beefed up, detachable sergeants.

2 fiends of slaanesh will never do anything. 4 might pass in a 1500 game if they're lucky. I'd say to try a list that I saw perform very well.

Lord of change-WaL, MoS, Breath-330
Bloodthirster-Might, BoBG-275

Flamers x3-105
Flamers x3-105
Flamers x3-105 (using your new horrors as flamers would be ideal)

horrors x5-bolt, changeling-100
horrors x5-bolt-95
horrors x5-bolt-95
Plaguebearers x5-75

Soul Grinder-tongue-160
Soul Grinder-tongue-160

1500 on the dot. (this actually isn't the intended list. The original was 2000 and had an extra PB and Horror squad, and a kitted up CC daemon prince of tzeentch)

The idea of this is a gun line/counter assault list. The horrors, grinders, and LoC land and start hurrling high strength AP 1 and 2 everywhere, effectivley de-meching half the enemy army before retaliation even comes (unless it's a horde army, in which case warpfire comes into play). If the wrong wave comes in, the flamers, thirster, other horrors, and PBs, land and secure objectives, while at the same time landing as close as possible to breath and set up assaults (unless it's a CC based army, in which you let the 2nd shooty wave land back some and shoot, then assault what survives with 2 grinders and 2 greater daemons).

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-16-11, 05:27 PM Thread Starter

Thank you for the input. What was the kit up on the CC Daemon Prince?
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-17-11, 12:42 PM

I don't remember. The guy who's list I saw never went into specifics. He just said what units he had. I know it was tzeentch DP though as his theme was tzeentch daemons (the bloodthirster is blue and his axehead is shaped like the mark of tzeentch. The PB's were wood elf dryads).
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 10-18-11, 03:12 AM

Chaos40kAD's Flag is: USA

I play Daemonettes in almost every list, and they crush stuff every time. If you have the models, play them and see how you like them. Sure they are only STR3 and Toughness3, but on the charge they rape hard, and are rending, which turns average killyness into maximum beast-mode killyness. I would suggest consolidating them into two larger groups though. The heralds of Slaanesh are of course sub-optimal for super cookie-cutter boring cheese competitive lists, but they can be fun in a unit of Daemonettes with might. You can also give them Daemonic gaze for some BS3 shooting fury before you assault : (it's worth noting they are AP3 shots too)

I'd play your original list any day for funsies. I might drop the 4 horrors and add in some fiends with the points to get a little extra CC killyness.

As for a CC prince, Nurgle prince is King. Tim/Steve's build is what I run on mine

-Brett

Last edited by Chaos40kAD; 10-18-11 at 03:19 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode