I have NO idea what i'm doing - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-11, 10:39 AM Thread Starter

Icon I have NO idea what i'm doing

Hey everyone I have never played with Chaos Daemons before or versed them either, so after collecting SM and orks I have decided to start my new army Chaos Daemons. I think the title speaks for itself
So this has what I have come up with;

HQ
Epidemus 110
Ku’Gath 300

TROOPS
10 Plaguebearers w/icon, NT 185
10 Plaguebearers w/NT 160
15 bloodletters w/Icon 185
15 bloodletters 160

HEAVY SUPPORT
Soul grinder w/phlegm 160
DP w/MoN, Daemonic flight, iron hide, cloud of flies, NT, daemonic gaze 235
DP w/MoT, Daemonic flight, bolt of tzeentch 200

TOTAL: 2015pts
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-04-11, 04:19 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

TheKingElessar's Flag is: United Kingdom

Problems:
1) Too many points on HQ, for too little
2) Soul Grinder - having only 3 vehicles, and therefore targets for Melta/Lascannons is bad enough, but only having one virtually guarantees it will never survive an enemy Shooting Phase.
3) Too many Troops - Daemon Troops are RUBBISH at killing things, they should aim to merely SURVIVE until the end of the game. Units of 5 Plaguebearers are sufficient for this, and 20 total will do.
4) DPs too expensive, and don't both have Bolt, so yuor ranged anti-tank is practically nil.

Fixes:
1) The GOOD HQ Daemons have is the Herald of Tzeentch, on Disc, with Bolt.
2) Fiends of Slaanesh mess shit up in CC, MUCH more than alternatives, especially Bloodletters.
3) Cheaper Princes and no Grinder neuters enemy a-t to a degree.
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 03:15 AM

The kingellesar you've got it all wrong! No disrespect, but your advice is in response to the generic bolt/fiends or fatecrusher lists. Both those builds have proven there worth for their success at Ard Boys tournaments. However, the new daemon list making a name for itself is the mono-nurgle epidemius/Ku'gath build.

The thinking behind it is that epidemius is telleported at the most remote corner of the board and avoid attension or travel with 15-20 plaguebearers or 7-9 nurglings. With epidemius propperly protected, the super GUP and 3 nurgle princes aim to get 20+ kills. Epidemius comes in here, because for every 5 or so kills made by a nurgle daemon or something with the mark of nurgle something happens that improve ALL nurgle followers in the game.

At 20+ kills your average plaguebearer has a 3+ feel no pain, wounds all non vehicle models on a 2+, and has a power weapon (the book says 'all wounds made by followers of nurgle ignore armor saves' but power weapon more or less captures the meaning).

This is why so many plaguebearers are fielded. Once the tally is at full, 10 plaguebearers are fighting and winning against assault terminators, slaughtering MCs, and laughing off anything that doesn't ignore fnp. All those bonuses however, extend to enemy nurgle followers (them killing your models, counts toward the 20+ tally as well), so the only downside to this list is that fighting a csm army with nurgle marked units, or another mono-nurgle list can get a bit harry.

In response to the list itself, drop the bloodletters and grinder. They don't contribute to, or benefit from, the tally (if anything, they'll hamper it), and as such have no purpose in the list. A 3rd nurgle prince and some more plaguebearers will fit in better. Drop noxius touch on the PB's though, one guy out of 10-15 wounding on 2's aint worth much

For heavy support

Take that nurgle prince build, drop noxius touch (after 10 kills ALL your nurgle daemons get it free), and copy that build 2 more times, minus wings on the other two (120 just for 2 sets of wings ain't worth it unless you play 2500 points). In short, get 3 nurgle princes. You'll be relying on them to build up the tally and should have as many of them as legal.

Last edited by red baron; 10-05-11 at 03:18 AM.

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 02:10 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

I get it - but CC-based armies in 40k are inherently weaker than shooting armies - and my 2k BA, for instance, will kill most of the Plagues before they get half that good...and with Fast vehicles and Speeders (while IG get Valkyries, and DE are even quicker) can hunt Eppy VERY easily, assuming he even arrives in the first wave, which won't happen every game.

It's a gimmicky, fun concept that has no serious place in competitive play.

If that isn't the OP's aim, then I shall duck out of the thread.
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 08:29 PM

The "new" build is epidemius? That has played out long ago. Shooty mech ended it.
If you are looking for a fun to play, gimmicky build, then epidemius builds are ok ( though yours needs a little work...)
If you want competitive (and STILL want to play daemons ;) ) then Tzeench shooty or fatecrusher are the only real options.

Let us know what you are after and we can point you in the right direction.
post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-05-11, 09:30 PM

eyeball7392's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by JudgePickles View Post
Hey everyone I have never played with Chaos Daemons before or versed them either, so after collecting SM and orks I have decided to start my new army Chaos Daemons. I think the title speaks for itself
So this has what I have come up with;

HQ
Epidemus 110
Ku’Gath 300

TROOPS
10 Plaguebearers w/icon, NT 185
15 bloodletters w/Icon 185
15 bloodletters 160

HEAVY SUPPORT
Soul grinder w/phlegm 160
DP w/MoN, Daemonic flight, iron hide, cloud of flies, NT, daemonic gaze 235
DP w/MoT, Daemonic flight, bolt of tzeentch 200

TOTAL: 2015pts
if this was a 40k list it pretty awesome

give me a hundred space marines or failing that a thousand other troops - rogal dorn
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-06-11, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eyeball7392 View Post
if this was a 40k list it pretty awesome
Wait what?

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-07-11, 04:49 PM
I Piss in your Cheerios

Inigo - I'd argue (to the death sir ) that FatCrusher is a gimmicky, slow, inefficient and generally poor army list.

No, that wasn't a typo.
post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-11, 04:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheKingElessar View Post
Inigo - I'd argue (to the death sir ) that FatCrusher is a gimmicky, slow, inefficient and generally poor army list.

No, that wasn't a typo.
Inefficient and slow I'll give you but how is it gimmicky or poor? Did not, a fateweaver build, become the 1st daemon list to win Ard boys?
post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 10-12-11, 08:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by red baron View Post
Inefficient and slow I'll give you but how is it gimmicky or poor? Did not, a fateweaver build, become the 1st daemon list to win Ard boys?
We've already gone over that, that was years ago. It's a different game now with different pressures on a list and Fatecrusher isn't cutting it so lets move on.

Aramoro

"Violence isn't the answer, I just like getting it wrong on purpose"

Sally Forth! - My Gaming Blog

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode