Want to start a Daemon army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 09:45 PM Thread Starter

Icon Want to start a Daemon army

Hey Gamers Iím thinking of starting a Daemon army so I need to hear your thoughts on the models I've been planning to buy. The army will be at 2000 point. Will you let me know if something is completely off the chart.

HQ

Herald of Tzeentch 110
Chariot, Bolt of Tzeentch, We Are Legion, Master of Sorcery

Herald of Tzeentch 110

Herald of Tzeentch 110

SkullTaker 175
Juggernaut

Elite

5 Fiends 150

5 Fiends 150

3 BloodCrushers 135
Furry of Khorne, Instrument

Troops

10 BloodLetters 165
Instrument

10 BloodLetters 165
Instrument

5 PlagueBearers 75

5 PlagueBearers 75

5 PlagueBearers 75

Heavy Support

Daemon Prince 160
Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch, Daemonic Gaze

Daemon Prince 160
Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch, Daemonic Gaze

Daemon Prince 185
Mark of Nurgle, Iron Hide, Noxious Touch, Cloud of Flies, Breath of Chaos

Total: 2000

So this is what i came up with. I've been making one list after another in some time now. And this is what I think I could handle play. But please come with your criticism of my list.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-16-11, 11:36 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Solid list, not much wrong with it. I would scrap the instruments from the bloodletters (they'll never draw a fight).
Few things you could do if you had the points is to increase the elite units by 1 model each: units of 6 fiends can smash through most things, and 4 crushers just seems to work, especially as you can mix their equipment.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 01:39 PM Thread Starter

Actually I drop the unit size of the Fiends from 6 to 5, to afford two units of 10 man strong BloodLetters. I could drop the BloodLetters to two 8 mans squad, then I would have enough points to two more Fiends.

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 02:41 PM
WFB Moderator

No, keep the bloodletters at 10: that's the size I work with normally... though many daemon players would say you need to be 12-14. Its all based on experience, which will be different from player to player. Personally my BL experience is rather lacking... I don't use my khorne stuff very often.

If you were looking for extra points then you would probably have to drop a herald, DP or PB unit... I don't think there are many you could shave off the list (some run bolt princes without gaze, but I think it works).

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 04:53 PM

You could drop a unit of Plague Bearers. They really are just objective holders and you should be ok with 2.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 08:04 PM Thread Starter

Tim/Steve - I'll give you that according to the BloodLetters about the unit of ten man. In my opinion more than ten Letters would be overkill. Cause if i get the (which I should), then 30 power weapon attack with WS 5 and S5 should be more than enough. To kill must of the charged squad, but not kill every man in it.
The Prince's without Gaze, hmm, they loose there versatility. Yeah well they are still good close combat creators, but you don't wont Bolts to be stuck in close combat. And 3 S5 AP3 hits really hurt power armour units.
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 08:29 PM
WFB Moderator

You are right and you are wrong: 10+ bloodletters hitting first in combat is overkill on almost everything. If you make 30 attacks you'll win...
Where that falls down is 2-fold. Assaulting into cover is the lesser reason... but the major one is getting shot.

You cannot assault with daemons when they DS, and people fear bloodletters... so they're normally shot first. This means they'll often take a lot of wounds before getting to combat. This is why some people take units of ~14... then you can lose up to about 8 models before you start to get too weak to take down the enemy.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-17-11, 09:06 PM Thread Starter

About the shooting of my BloodLetters! The reason I took Plaguebeares instead of shooty Horrors, is so I have a shield for my BloodLetters. Know it's a pricy shield, but it should do the job.
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-18-11, 11:46 PM

I find bloodcrushers work well as fire magnets to help bloodletters. I mean just look at em! The main reason I like daemons is the psykology of them. Easily half the army is something that would attract shooting on looks alone. Any HQ choice you can field save for foot heralds will attract a look or two if they're surronded by average chaos marines and/or lesser daemons. All the elites save for flamers look like something that will literally eat a marine alive. Our only vehicles look like they go land raider-tipping for fun. If the default model is scary enough, a mutilated body here, a decapitated head there will add enough scaryness for your opponent to shoot them more and your troops less.

(warning: this does not work in reverse. Bloodletters with flaming swords and marine heads at their feet will not get your fiends shot at anyless. It'll just get your bloodletters shot at more)

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode