Tzeentch Army - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-11, 09:34 PM Thread Starter

Ammit Brando's Flag is: USA

Default Tzeentch Army

Question posed to all daemon players.

Is an all Tzeentch army viable?

Lots of horrors with a DP and a lord of change?

You will beg for the darkness by the end. You will look to the sky and fear the coming shadows.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-15-11, 09:54 PM

Barnster's Flag is: United Kingdom

Viable, but very tough, especially against 3+ armies

Tzeentch chariot heralds are great HQ choices, probably better than a loc, Horrors are great against low save hordes, like guard and gaunts, but not power armour

Flamers are your only option here, and they tend to die quickly

The worry is if if you got caught in combat your in trouble

Mono god lists are tough, but great themes and can be rewarding when you finally get them right

May tzeentch smile on your endevours

Last edited by Barnster; 04-15-11 at 10:02 PM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-16-11, 09:32 AM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

I run quite a successful 1k mono-tzeentch army

(130)- Herald of Tzeentch- chariot, bolt of tzeentch, breath of chaos, master of sorcerey
(130)- Herald of Tzeentch- chariot, bolt of tzeentch, breath of chaos, master of sorcerey
(105)- 3 Flamers
(105)- 3 Flamers
(100)- 5 Horrors- Changling, bolt of tzeentch
(95)- 5 Horrors- bolt of tzeentch
(48)- 3 Screamers
(48)- 3 Screamers
(48)- 3 Screamers
=999pts

Its not the most competetive army in the world and it really struggles against MCs and tough characters, but at 1k there arent many of those around.

To move up to 1.5k you are looking at some daemon princes and possible another chariot or 2. More troops would be good, but they won't help against beat the MCs that will be popping up by 1.5k.

Personally I would add:
(170) Daemon Prince- MoT, bolt of tzeentch, soul devourer, unholy might

That puts me 9pts over, but I would drop one of the horror bolts and combine those 5 into the other units (8 with changeling, 6 in other units).

Tzeentch armies aren't strong enough to be agressive (except for flamers), which means you need to basically use guerilla tactics. Hit what you can, limit the enemy's ability to hit you back and take them apart slowly. If I was playing the 1.5k list with the DPs then I wouldnt take them anywhere near the eneemy- leave them in the middle of your army (though I keep mine reasomably dispersed) and use their bolts... then counter-attack anything nasty that tries to come out and smack your weaker units around.
Screamers are integral to this army- they are cheap and hard to kill so send them racing around keeping enemy vehicles scared enough to move at least 1" a turn (lessens ability to shoot), or preferably so scaraed they keep moving over 6" every turn and so they can't shoot. If they kill anything its a bonus (but they are still pretty good vs infantry, I use them for taking out remnants that I dont want to waste shooting on).

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-11, 07:45 AM

I ran a mono tzeentch army for one weekend of play and it served me pretty well...(not saying it was much for a tzeentch army but I wasn't disappointed).

1 LoC (Breath, MoS)
Fateweaver

6 Flamers (Bolt)

15 Horrors (changeling, Bolt, instrument, icon)
15 Horrors (bolt, instrument, icon)

1 Daemon Prince (Wings, Tzeentch, Bolt, Breath, Gaze)
1 Daemon Prince (Tzeentch, Bolt, Breath, Gaze)

(the exact list might have had a few differences but that was the general idea).
Against hordes: obviously land with decent difference, the big guys are okay for holding people up but this is where the flamers and horrors shine (also the 6 man flamer squad isn't suicide bombing either)
Against mech the infantry sized models mainly hold objectives and hope the bolts do something (and maybe soak wounds) while the big guys do their job.
Against elite armies I think they all work well. Everything but the horrors are good for denying armor saves and wounding reliably and the horrors are good objective holders and making them throw dice. (also in kill points I don't have a problem throwing the horrors into combat to tie up a unit or two if the fateweaver is nearby).

Not the best stuff but I like it (I would like to sometime try the chariots of tzeentch stuff but I haven't gotten a chance to proxy them in)

CDs, CSMs, IG, Necron, Tau, SWs.
Dwarves, WoC
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-17-11, 01:12 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by NTJ2010 View Post
1 LoC (Breath, MoS)
Fateweaver
LoC is pretty weak for its points, hard to kill, especially if teamed with fateweaver but not the best. A couple of chariots have the same shooting power without losing much from combat. Fateweaver is occasionally worth taking, but Im not a fan.

6 Flamers (Bolt)
You're right not to suicide bomb with these guys, you could only use 3-4 from a DS position anyway. I would never use bolt on these guys, especially with 6 of them in the unit: you sacrifice a lot of really good shooting to get a half decent anti-tank shot. Having said that every opponent should be aiming at this unit; I think 6 is just far too big.

15 Horrors (changeling, Bolt, instrument, icon)
15 Horrors (bolt, instrument, icon)
Again they seem far too big- if you want to use the bolt you are wasting 238pts worth of horrors who would be peppering a tank with S4 firepower... seems like a total waste to me.

1 Daemon Prince (Wings, Tzeentch, Bolt, Breath, Gaze)
1 Daemon Prince (Tzeentch, Bolt, Breath, Gaze)
good set ups, bit pricey but thats inevitable
This works as a KP denial army, but you'll struggle to pick up KP of your own...I can't see it being able to pick off well built armies on either of the other missions.

post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-11, 01:19 PM

MarquisDeSade's Flag is: England

Been playing with the idea of an all Tzeentch army (usually play all Slaanesh). Worked out a rough 2k list as follows;

Lord of Change (We are Legion, Master of Sorcery)

Herald (Chariot, Bolt of Tzeentch)

Herald (Bolt of Tzeentch, We are Legion)

3*3 Flamers

10 Horrors (Changeling, Bolt)

3*10 Horrors (Bolt)

3*3 Screamers

Soul Grinder (Phlegm, Tounge)

Daemon Prince (Mark of Tzeentch, Bolt of Tzeentch, Unholy Might, Daemonic Gaze, Soul Devourer)

Give enough anti-tank to deal with mech lists (Bolts, Screamers, Soul Grinder), enough general firepower to deal with hordes, but should still be able to deal with elite, power-armoured forces. Any thoughts on how this can be improved?

For Russ! For the Allfather! For the Wolftime!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-11, 07:05 PM

ChaosKitten's Flag is: USA

A lot of great options put up here. I favor the Tzeentch and usually I run a ridiculous amount of Pink Horrors and Flamers with a DP or two. I haven't tried out screamers yet though. I believe I heard they kick major teeth in in WHF, but haven't used them in 40K. I would agree that running an all Tzeentch army is a challenge, but definitely viable.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode