1500pt Competitive Khorne list - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 09:40 PM Thread Starter

Blood_Knight's Flag is: USA

1500pt Competitive Khorne list

Hi guys, been out awhile but i'm back, and trying to bring some deamons to the table. Be honest, any tips would be great, thanks.

HQ:
Skulltaker w/ Juggernaught - 175pts

Elites:
3 Blood Crushers w/ FoK, Icon - 155pts

Troops:
8 Bloodletters w/ FoK, Icon - 163pts

Heavies:
Deamon Prince w/ Flight, IH, MoK, BotBG - 195pts
Soul Grinder w/ Phlem - 160pts

1500pts exactly

The only other thing i could see to do is drop a letter squad, up the letters numbers to 10, and find something to do with the remaining points. Tell me what you think!

People take time to comment. So reply in kind

My Khorne/Nurgle army project log

Last edited by Blood_Knight; 08-30-10 at 10:00 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-30-10, 10:39 PM
WFB Moderator

Tim/Steve's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well you arent going to get a particularly competetive mono-khornate list, but if you do you'll need to rely upon bloodthirsters or flying daemon princes since they are about the only thing that'll deal with enemy armour.

Other then that drop all those icons. They wont help the first half of your army, wont save that many mishaps for the second wave and cost a total 150pts... 10% of your army that is essentially doing nothing or very little. At most I would have 1 icon per army.
I would use those 150pts and drop 1 unit of bloodletters in order to fit in a bloodthirster- you have plenty of troops, but a blood thirster will be able to deal with vehicles (and pretty much everything else too).

post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-10, 05:26 AM Thread Starter

Blood_Knight's Flag is: USA

True true. Right on all accounts. Thanks. I seemed to run into the sxame problem with my Khorne marines. Was hoping it would be different with deamons. What about a suavey mix khorne and slaanesh? if i were to do that? what kind of units would i pull from the different gods?

People take time to comment. So reply in kind

My Khorne/Nurgle army project log

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-31-10, 09:17 AM
WFB Moderator

Slaanesh isnt all that immense against vehicles either, but certainly a lot better then khorne (because of rending).
Pretty much everything slaanshi can deal with tanks but the best units are fiends (6 fiends, 1 with unholy might is a great unit- best in the codex) and chariot herald with unholy might and musk (possibly pavance) is also pretty damn nice. I would avoid daemonettes for a mix list- they are utterly devastating, but I often need to send in 2 units of 10 into the enemy in order to win (but when they win, they win big).

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-02-10, 05:08 AM

Gubnutz's Flag is: USA

I would say that the addition of a Thister is the fist order of business. This thing is an absolute beater and plus he looks cool. After that I would look at possibly going with another grinder. Seems that the inclusion of a single Grinder will result in a lot of AT popping him early one and you out 100+ points.

This could be accomplished by dropping the DP. I would also drop a couple of the Icons. I normally run 2 in my preferred wave and 1 in my non preferred wave to cover my bases and find this to be plenty. This frees up a total of 245 if you keep 3 though you could try 1 in each and get another 25 points in there. Possibly drop a squad altogether and then try and squeeze the Grinder and the Thirster in there for maximum carnage.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

Let them hate as long as they fear.

http://gubnutz.livejournal.com/ Check out my Live Journal
post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-04-10, 10:00 PM

Uilleam's Flag is: Canada

Woah woah woah. Khorne is THE most competitive Daemon army barring undivided. I regularily take my daemons to tournies. And they are feared. I have guys who won't even play me anymore. They just forfeit. Poor Blood Angels

First off, drop the Prince. Princes are uber on points and craptacular on delivery. Get as many Grinders as you can. Princes fall out of the sky, stand there, and get shot before they can retaliate. Grinders fall out of the sky and rain pie plate death on your enemy as well as harvester shots. I never leave home without 3. And when it comes time to kill mech these guys have fleet and a ton of DCCW attacks!

I personally prefer Thirsters to Skulltaker. They're MCs. Can fly. And are vastly harder to kill. Skulltaker though is VERY good at killing characters. Especially when used in conjunction with Bloodcrushers and Heralds.

1 Icon is plenty. I put it in my second wave just incase my assualt roll goes belly up. That way my primo units don't scatter. And if you do get the desired assualt roll that wave doesn't benefit from the Icon. So save a ton of points.

If I was gonna do your list and keep Skulltaker this is what I'd do:

Skulltaker 175 Points (Wave 1)
- Juggernaut

Herald of Khorne 130 Points
- Juggernaut, FoK, Unholy Might

Bloodcrushers (3) 160 Points (stick the Herald and Skully with these guys. You will kill Termies so easy and anything else!)
- FoK, Icon, Musician

Bloodletters (8) 138 Points (Wave 2)
- FoK

- FoK

- FoK

- FoK

Soul Grinder 160 Points (Wave 1)
- Phlegm

- Phlegm

- Phlegm

1497/1500

Your first wave is going to punish the enemy so bad he will be too busy concentrating on them to pay much attention to anything else. Then when your smaller daemons show up they will prolly get ignored. This list is an exception to my Icon rule I see.

Personally though, if I was gonna do this I'd drop Skully and the Herald, increase the crushers to 4, and add a Thirster with Blessing and Unholy Might.

Blood for the Blood God!

Last edited by Uilleam; 09-04-10 at 10:08 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 06:02 AM

Gubnutz's Flag is: USA

Uilleam this is a nasty list that you have posted. I like the idea of multiple Grinders and agree that 3 of them is money. Seems that you are then able to punish and by the time the enemy gets them cleared you are then in their face with loads of angry letters.

Do you find that the single Icon is sufficient? I realize it is on the Crushers and they are hard but it seems that the inclusion of at least 1 in each wave would be tactically sound?

I like the list as it stands but agree that the use of a Thirster is going to be a good investment. This guy is the reason I play Khorne daemons.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

Let them hate as long as they fear.

http://gubnutz.livejournal.com/ Check out my Live Journal
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 09:34 AM
WFB Moderator

Its a strong list, but then anything with 3 grinders and an MC or 2 is always going to be. Personally I think that a mono-nurgle tally is stronger then mono-khorne, but a BT/grinder heavy list does counter the worst weaknesses in the khornate armylist although I wouldnt bother using crushers. They are very strong but dont do anything that bloodletters cant do: swapping attacks and more wounds for +1S/T and a 3+ armour save (if in equal points). Certainly if you have a herald/skulltaker in the unit you dont need them to be crushers... then as a bonus the unit can still score.
I know that units of 8 bloodletters is fluffy, but I cant shake the feeling that its too small a unit. I would use 10 as a minimum and would ideally try to stretch it to 12. Partially this woud help them take a few wounds from shooting before charging but is mainly because they have no frag grenades meaning that a unit such as grey hunters standing in cover would be all but immune to units of 8 (possibly 30 attacks hitting before you do: ~5 dead bloodletters at I4 when you strike at I1. A unit of 8 would only have 9 attacks back, while a unit of 12 would still have loads).

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 05:05 PM

Uilleam's Flag is: Canada

I have only ever used 1 Icon. But 2 could be just as good. For me it's all about points.

My regular list is 2 Thirsters with 3 Grinders in my first wave. This is a one, two punch to my opponent. First, my Grinders pie plate and shoot the snot out of anything I deem juicy and vulnerable. So Long Fangs, Devastators, bunched up Genestealers, etc. It's all about target priority.

My Thirsters land out of rapid fire range and behind solid terrain to block LoS if possible, but within their charge range. Assuming the scatter dice cooperates. Had to pinish 1 or 2 of them with a hammer as an example to others what happens when they're bad.

What this does is thin down my opponents army and present 5 huge threats he has to deal with. Turn 2 sees my Grinders advance while shooting. Getting into CC if possible. My Thirsters fly out and assualt the really juicy stuff. Tank squadrons etc. That way when the Bloodletters show up most of my opponents army is either tied up in CC and unable to shoot, or dead. That way my smaller but more numerous units of Letters get unmolested. And if a unit does get shot it still leaves more units at full strength rather than a big unit getting cut down to half.

Terrain is a bugger. But that's what all the wonderful pie plates are for. Yeah your opponent is getting a cover save, but he's usually all bunched up hugging that peice of terrain. Oh look. I just got your whole squad.

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 09-05-10, 05:26 PM
WFB Moderator

2 BT, 3 grinders is what I would use if going mono-khorne... but its a tourny-type army build and is not something I would advise in a friendly setting. Tourny lists are fine as long as everyone uses them... but if someone wants to use a 'friendly' army/unit then this is not the sort of thing to help them test it out with...

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode