Chaos Daemon Codex - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-10, 05:31 AM

Gubnutz's Flag is: USA

This has been a pretty interesting thread to read. I love the Demon Dex, seems to allow people to run some pretty crazy builds. I ran Wordbearers in the old Dex and it is nice to see these demons getting their rules back. SLD in the CSM dex make me sad sometimes.

That aside I wonder if you would be willing to post a sample of your Nurgle Khorne lists Mentat. I have been building a Mono Nurgle tally list but just traded for 20 Bloodletters and a Bloodcrusher so I might be tempted to run a dual god list as well.

Thanks in advance

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

Let them hate as long as they fear.

http://gubnutz.livejournal.com/ Check out my Live Journal
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-10, 11:24 AM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

ive read about half this thread and havin been play 40k for over 10 yrs and playing daemons since they were released(i waited fro this army for years)

Slaanesh and Tzeench are the way to go. Take this army and make it a horde army just uderstand that every turn ur constantly puttin more and more troops on the board. my army of slaanesh and tzeench has almost been unstoppable. also khore and nurgle are best put together

I have loved this army for the reasopn that you have to think on your toes the whole time you cant just plan a your strategy before hand.

post #43 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-10, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gubnutz View Post
That aside I wonder if you would be willing to post a sample of your Nurgle Khorne lists Mentat.

Gub
Tomorrow I am trying this at 1750.

GUO *
Herald of Nurgle w/icon *
Skulltaker
7 PB, Icon *
7 PB (herald here) *
7 PB
8 BL, icon (skulltaker here)
8 BL
8 BL
DP, flight, MoK, blessing *
DP, flight, MoN, breath *

* = preferred wave

I have some other gifts on the GUO and DP

I'll most likely be playing a mech Blood Angel list in a Cities of Death scenario. Last week my opponent fielded Mephiston. I'm expecting multiple dreads this week including a librarian, so I hope my DPs are up to the task.

The Herald of Nurgle isn't very good, but I have the miniature and I play WYSIWYG and painted only, so some of my army selection is based on that. Actually I use him more for a WYSIWYG icon than anything else.

Skulltaker is on foot, but most of the time when we play a game with objectives he can get into the action. (I'll bring him in near the thick of the fighting). I just got the painted GUO and I haven't tried him yet. I also have not tried the Daemon Princes before so I will see how they work out.

I will generally be aggressive with the plaguebearers and get them near some enemy who are near an objective. If they survive, I will usually slaughter the enemy army with the bloodletters in the 2nd wave. It only takes a couple to make a mess of a marine squad.

My more typical Khorne/Nurgle list at 1000-1500 is something like:

Skulltaker and/or herald of Nurgle (sometimes only the herald of nurgle for a cheap HQ)

multiple squads of 7 PB
multiple squads of 8 BL

2 Soul Grinders with tongue (greatly annoying to my opponent)

I have used Flesh Hounds in the past but only because I have 16 painted

I always stack all Soul Grinders in my first wave along with PBs to plant icons and try to tie up enemy squads.

Now, before the "professional" players trash my lists and say they will never win, or that I am only playing unskilled opponents, let me say that success with daemons comes down to your ability to be flexible and make use of what you have available where and your ability to make the best of it.

I have been playing since around 1992 with various armies and I'm not going to say I am a great player but my "regular" army is pure infantry Deathwing and I win most of the time with that against a wide variety of armies (including at tournaments). I could make a NETLIST of any army I wanted, but I have a lot of fun with mono and dual god daemon lists.

post #44 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-10, 03:56 PM

Well thanks for the list and the insight. I have enough PB to run 6 squads of 7 and enough bloodletters to run 2 squads of 8. I would like to see the Herald that you have. Realize this might not be the best thread for pics though.

I say if it works for you then it must be solid. Tactics do play a part in this game and at the end of the day if I had a good time then the hobby is working for me.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

post #45 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-25-10, 06:15 PM

I am playing on a city board and I win some lose some, you will have to experiment. It may or may not work well depending on your terrain and numerous other factors. The herald I have is actually the WFB Chaos Sorcerer of Nurgle who is holding a large staff and wearing a Dr. Suess hat.
post #46 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 01:41 AM

I am mostly just trying to get back into the game. I have played a lot of different armies in the past and have done well. However, this time around I jumped back in with a Pure Thousand Sons list that follows the fluff as best it can and am in the process of building Khorne and Nurgle Demon lists.

Thanks again for the input. I will be trying out a Mono Nurgle list pretty soon and hope to have a good time.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

post #47 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 03:18 AM

Well I've been playing 40k since rogue trader days. I just picked up deamons and made the effort to at least test out different options and configurations and try to mitigate the obvious weaknesses ...

Mobility
AT
Randomness

Now I have a lot of deamons from my old CSM armies ( which I sadly had to finally seel off as CSM might be the weakest army out there ... even Necrons are better at certain point levels. I have to admit I followed Chumb's guide in the end with a few of my own modifications.

I had thought to play Sheralds but in the end I needed Tzeench Heralds for their fire power. I use two of these as my HQs and if I increase the point levels I will model one or two more.

I tested Crushers and they are so slow it's sad. Fatecrusher might be working for some but it takes some very lucky rolls or non-mech armies to succeed. I think it has the potential to surprise but it is too gimmicky for my taste. You need to castle up center table and send the Thirster out to take down tanks with a few DPs to back him up. Then you push out the Crushers from the center. On paper it seems fine. In games not so much.

So that meant I was going to use Fiends. C'mon. Seriously. These hguys are the best thing in the Daemon codex. Give me a good reason not to field three squads of six with UM. I'm all ears.

Troops I found trickier. I originally went with the durable PBs only but succumbed and decided that a squad of BLs could not hurt. I'm okay with them. So mostly PBs still but that BL unit to change things up and make my opponent decide what is the most pressing target ... heralds. bls, fiends or

I will take Fleshounds at 1750+ with Karanak. They have im,pressed me. They do have a big bloody bulls eye on them so DS them out of rapid fire range. Same as your fiends. Hope for decent scattr. Use cover. They do take the heat off the rest of your foreces too. They have to ber dealt with.

Finally ... I use Tzeench DPs ... no wings. I field two at 1500 and three at 2000.

I'm no expert but I play against good veteran players with good 5ed lists. My win/loss after three months is acceptable. I'm not beating mech IG. Not unless I'm pretty lucky. I have problems against RD MechDar too but those games can be tricky but winnable. Razor spam well built and depending on the variety ... winnable. At 1500 points DE can be a nightmare byut again if you know how they play close off their options. Donm't let them surround objectives with Raiders and take them out turn five or six. They always start well. Just end better then them. Finally ... a good solid Tau list ... haven't been able to crack that nut although my current build plays the best so far against them they still beat me.

I'm liking Daemons. I know I'm in for some losses but I believe as I play them more I'll be able to reduce my defeats and win a lot more matches. I will still tweak up and experiment for the best mix.
post #48 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-26-10, 06:50 PM

Last night I played 2 battles using the Khorne/Nurgle army mentioned above, led by the Great Unclean One and with 2 daemon princes. The first game was the Fire Sweep mission. The second game was the 2 objective game, dawn of war setup from the rulebook. My Blood Angels opponent had:

Librarian in terminator armor
librarian with jump pack
librarian dreadnaught
5 terminators with lightning claws
5 vanguard veterans
1 assault squad
1 tactical squad with flamer and lascannon

I won both games but it was tough. He killed the GUO and both the daemon princes in the first game, and killed the GUO and the khorne daemon prince the second game. My winged nurgle prince was definately worth it, as he caused havok all over the place in both games. Lightning claws with preferred enemy will definately hurt monstrous creatures. The librarian dreadnaught was no joke either.
post #49 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-29-10, 06:14 AM

Looks like a pretty foul list. Pumping out some serious firepower and/or CC action to drop the Fat nasty and the DP. I have yet to face the BA as I have been out of the loop so long. Have really on tangled with some ork armies and that was with Sisters. They have been traded away though so not to worry.

Will be starting on my Mono Nurgle in the next week or so and will more than likely add some Khorne elements to it eventually. There is a 1850 tourney coming in August and I intend to go fully painted Mono Nurgle. we shall see.

Just hard for me to mix all of the Gods into one force. fluff nut somewhat I guess. anyway as always appreciated the viewpoints presented.

Gub

Oderint Dum Metuant

post #50 of 65 (permalink) Old 06-29-10, 09:59 AM

TheSpore's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by bebe View Post
Well I've been playing 40k since rogue trader days. I just picked up deamons and made the effort to at least test out different options and configurations and try to mitigate the obvious weaknesses ...

Mobility
AT
Randomness

Now I have a lot of deamons from my old CSM armies ( which I sadly had to finally seel off as CSM might be the weakest army out there ... even Necrons are better at certain point levels. I have to admit I followed Chumb's guide in the end with a few of my own modifications.

I had thought to play Sheralds but in the end I needed Tzeench Heralds for their fire power. I use two of these as my HQs and if I increase the point levels I will model one or two more.

I tested Crushers and they are so slow it's sad. Fatecrusher might be working for some but it takes some very lucky rolls or non-mech armies to succeed. I think it has the potential to surprise but it is too gimmicky for my taste. You need to castle up center table and send the Thirster out to take down tanks with a few DPs to back him up. Then you push out the Crushers from the center. On paper it seems fine. In games not so much.

So that meant I was going to use Fiends. C'mon. Seriously. These hguys are the best thing in the Daemon codex. Give me a good reason not to field three squads of six with UM. I'm all ears.

Troops I found trickier. I originally went with the durable PBs only but succumbed and decided that a squad of BLs could not hurt. I'm okay with them. So mostly PBs still but that BL unit to change things up and make my opponent decide what is the most pressing target ... heralds. bls, fiends or

I will take Fleshounds at 1750+ with Karanak. They have im,pressed me. They do have a big bloody bulls eye on them so DS them out of rapid fire range. Same as your fiends. Hope for decent scattr. Use cover. They do take the heat off the rest of your foreces too. They have to ber dealt with.

Finally ... I use Tzeench DPs ... no wings. I field two at 1500 and three at 2000.

I'm no expert but I play against good veteran players with good 5ed lists. My win/loss after three months is acceptable. I'm not beating mech IG. Not unless I'm pretty lucky. I have problems against RD MechDar too but those games can be tricky but winnable. Razor spam well built and depending on the variety ... winnable. At 1500 points DE can be a nightmare byut again if you know how they play close off their options. Donm't let them surround objectives with Raiders and take them out turn five or six. They always start well. Just end better then them. Finally ... a good solid Tau list ... haven't been able to crack that nut although my current build plays the best so far against them they still beat me.

I'm liking Daemons. I know I'm in for some losses but I believe as I play them more I'll be able to reduce my defeats and win a lot more matches. I will still tweak up and experiment for the best mix.
This the reason ive loved this army as well its so open for customization and it can be played in diffrent ways. Im always seeing new strange ways to field this army oh BTW one reason to not field 3 full squads of 6 fiends 3 full squads of flamers

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode