500 pts daemon - Combat patrol - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-31-09, 11:19 PM Thread Starter

Kaizer's Flag is: Denmark

Default 500 pts daemon - Combat patrol

My local store is hosting a series of 500 pts combat patrol tournies, and I was hoping to get a little variation by doing some daemons instead of my normal CSM.

I tried to put together a list, and ended up with this thing:
HQ
Herald of Khorne
Iron hide, Unholy might and Fury of Khorne
Pts: 110

Herald of Tzeentch
We are legion, master of sorcery and bolt of tzeentch
Pts: 95

Troops
6 bloodletters
Pts: 96

6 Plaguebearers
Pts: 90

6 Horrors
changeling
Pts: 107

Total: 498

1 wave: Horrors w/ herald and bloodletters w/ herald
2 wave: plaguebearers

The idea is to let the bloodletters w/ herald go hunting for walkers and other tough enemies while the horrors w/ herald act as support fire and take some damage. The plaguebearers main job is simply to take some punishment, and hopefully lots of it.

I know there is both an eldar play and ork play who brings walkers, which is my main problem. I can't see a good way to handle them, so I tried making some herald for them. The bloodletters will on the charge be able to get a glancing on a 5+ and the herald will on a 4+. The tzeentch herald got a bolt which a hope to get a couple of them down before assault, while he also hopefully kills some troops somewhere else with help from the horrors.

I don't know if some bloodcrushers or fiends will be a better way to handle the walkers, so I mainly ask for some advice.

"Baby, Im a heretic, and your a spineless imperalist"
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-09, 08:20 PM

Dallas_Drake's Flag is: Yugoslavia

Looks ok, but I have a question.

What walkers are you coming across in a combat patrol? I only play the following rules;

No model can have more than 2 Wounds.
No model can have a 2+ save.
No Named/Special Characters are allowed.
No vehicles with a total Armour value greater than 33. This is calculated by adding the Front, Side and Rear armour numbers. (Only count the Side once).

If you're not playing by the limitations above then I think you've got your work cut out.
post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-09, 08:40 PM Thread Starter

Im playing with those restrictions, plus only need one troop. Besides we only deploy one troop while the others move on the table from reserves.

I know that I will run into killa kans and eldar warwalkers on the walker part.
On the cc part Im scared of the killa kans, while the warwalkers are going to give me alot of problems with their shooting. Which simply is to totally different kinds of low armour walkers. I think Im mainly afraid of the eldar warwalkers since they can get alot of shots in at me.

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-09, 09:00 PM

OK. Got you now (I forgot they're only AV 31 & 30 respectively). Well... You're best bet is probably the HQs you have selected. But I'd go with this though.

1 x Herald of Tzeentch + Bolt 80 (keep him solo so he's yet another target)

5 x Horrors + Bolt 95

5 x Horrors + Bolt 95

10 x Bloodletters

Elite: 2 x Fiends + Might 70

Total: 500

Those Fiends are 6 x S5 & 6 x S6 rending attacks on the charge (I have never been charged in all my games with Daemons), their charge being insane (Beasts you see). Any plucky Killa Kans or War Walkers will get eaten alive by those Fiends, plus with 3 Bolts at S8 they're going to have to watch where they pop up. Finally the Bloodletters give you some solid anti MEQ incase they don't take walkers or there are marines to cleave!

I can't recommend Fiends enough
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-09, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Seems like a solid build, and it contains alot of things I wanted for bigger lists.

I had thought about getting some fiends but weren't sure if the had the punch for taking down walkers, but then again many attacks has its perks.

Im hoping to have this list together soon and start ripping some walkers apart. Thanks Dallas_Drake

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-02-09, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaizer View Post
Seems like a solid build, and it contains alot of things I wanted for bigger lists.

I had thought about getting some fiends but weren't sure if the had the punch for taking down walkers, but then again many attacks has its perks.

Im hoping to have this list together soon and start ripping some walkers apart. Thanks Dallas_Drake
No worries, I use Fiends for a lot of my AT, sheer weight of attacks really, & they never disappoint. Just beware as they only have T4 W2 5++

Good luck ripping those annoying walkers to pieces Kaizer!
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-09, 01:08 AM

uh war walkers. i agree Dallas_Drake bolts and horrors for the win

Twinkie Fishing XD

The Joker: You just couldn't let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren't you? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-09, 03:15 AM

I'd highly recommend a squad of 3 Screamers for this list. They're very, very cheap and very very mobile. They'll more reliably handle the walkers than hoping your heralds will glance.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-09, 09:03 PM

but dont the screamers need a 6 to hit a walker?

Twinkie Fishing XD

The Joker: You just couldn't let me go could you? This is what happens when an unstoppable force meets an immovable object. You truly are incorruptible aren't you? You won't kill me out of some misplaced sense of self-righteousness, and I won't kill you, because you're just too much fun. I think you and I are destined to do this forever.
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 06-03-09, 10:57 PM

Screamers aren't a bad bet but unfortunately (and importantly) they only have a lousy number of attacks, all your opponent will have to do is move his walkers in his movement phase & you'll be struggling to get any hits. They are best used to hit tanks... Ultimately I'm afraid to say that they will really struggle to handle any walkers.

While Fiends may suffer from the same problem, they have an insane number of attacks (5 profile, 6 on the charge) so they don't suffer nearly as badly.

Bolt is just, well, bolt. & at S8 you're glancing on a 2+ so it's all good

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode