1850 Khorne Daemonkin - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-16, 01:33 PM Thread Starter

Squire's Flag is: Soth Korea

Default 1850 Khorne Daemonkin

CAD + Charnel Cohort formation, all daemons (no puny mortals)

CAD

HQ Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage 275

HQ Bloodthirster of Insensate Rage 275

T 9 Bloodletters with bloodreaper, instrument 105

T 9 Bloodletters with bloodreaper, instrument 105

CC Formation

HQ Daemon Prince with wings, armour, Goredrinker 250

T 9 Bloodletters with bloodreaper 95

T 9 Bloodletters with bloodreaper 95

E 3 Bloodcrushers with bloodhunter 140

FA 6 Flesh Hounds 96

FA 6 Flesh Hounds 96

FA 6 Flesh Hounds 96

FA 6 Flesh Hounds 96

HS Skull Cannon 125 (1849)

The bloodletters will usually all deepstrike

The formation's buffs are -2 to fear tests, all deepstriking units (bloodletters, maybe bloodcrushers) having no scatter if they come in near the deamon prince, counter attack for everyone

The bloodthirsters' role is obvious, but whether or not they get shot right off the table they should allow the flesh hounds and bloodcrushers to get into combat, tying units up so the bloodletters can deepstrike and survive long enough to make a charge.

The daemon prince is the secret weapon though. Goredrinker can charge up to S10 and instant death with rampage if it can cause 8 unsaved wounds. Even before that it gives (on the charge) S8 at I9 with 7 attacks, so getting those 8 kills will often be easy if the attention is on the bloodthirsters. Fully charged the daemon prince is better than the bloodthirsters against most opponents, including wraithknights

The bloodcrushers are there because they come in the new Khorne daemons bundle, and I like the models. They may get ignored, they may get blasted off the table. Who cares? The skullcannon comes in the same kit and is the only unit in the list good for sitting back on an objective

Comments appreciated! The list is supposed to be fluffy but effective, and simple to play so turns go by quickly and I can focus my limited intellect on objectives. Thanks for reading

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-06-16, 09:34 PM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

CAD just for the second D-thirster? I suppose 1850 is the range where you stop worrying about being miserly with blood points, given how much blood is flowing, so less need for the Blood Host/Slaughtercult (even if Possessed would technically qualify as daemons).

Scouted Flesh Hounds can really take a surprising amount of fire off the Thirsters, I imagine, especially if you have the second player turn so will be able to assault with them during your first turn. That said, I usually play an almost exclusively MSU KDK list and have only played with 1 Thirster (summoned) in my time with the codex. I just find that Flesh Hounds right in the enemy player's grill before their first shooting phase gets most players hot and bothered, and not in the way they'd usually prefer.

Looks pretty good. I wish you didn't have to take the Bloodcrusher tax, since they have such glaring, gaping flaws for such an overpriced attempt at a "TWC equivalent" unit.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-16, 12:41 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
CAD just for the second D-thirster? I suppose 1850 is the range where you stop worrying about being miserly with blood points, given how much blood is flowing, so less need for the Blood Host/Slaughtercult (even if Possessed would technically qualify as daemons).

Scouted Flesh Hounds can really take a surprising amount of fire off the Thirsters, I imagine, especially if you have the second player turn so will be able to assault with them during your first turn. That said, I usually play an almost exclusively MSU KDK list and have only played with 1 Thirster (summoned) in my time with the codex. I just find that Flesh Hounds right in the enemy player's grill before their first shooting phase gets most players hot and bothered, and not in the way they'd usually prefer.

Looks pretty good. I wish you didn't have to take the Bloodcrusher tax, since they have such glaring, gaping flaws for such an overpriced attempt at a "TWC equivalent" unit.
Thanks Mossy

I'm all about the double D's. I'm guessing one bloodthirster is almost never going to see combat unless I keep it in reserve or get first turn and swoop, and I like knowing (at least at deployment) I have the tools to stop multiple knights. That said, it just occurred to me how effective flesh hounds could be as a tarpit. Invulnerable saves, two wounds and massive bases will make it hard to stomp them to death in a hurry

Flesh hounds have to be one of the best units in the game. They'd be great value even without scout

It's a shame about the bloodcrushers but if there's a codex that can make them work it must be KDK. Saturation of fast CC units potentially all hitting on turn 2 is exactly what they need to get in under the radar

I imagine possessed can get away with the same thing in a rhino. I really hate that tax with the slaughtercult though, I love the fluff (if Argel Tal stuff is anything to go on) but don't like the possessed models and rhino rushing CC infantry that don't even have guns really doesn't appeal to me

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-07-16, 07:22 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
I imagine possessed can get away with the same thing in a rhino. I really hate that tax with the slaughtercult though, I love the fluff (if Argel Tal stuff is anything to go on) but don't like the possessed models and rhino rushing CC infantry that don't even have guns really doesn't appeal to me
While I realize that most people don't like the possessed, I wouldn't underestimate that unit when it comes to the tax of the slaughtercult. A few reasons why:

- They are both Marines & Daemons, so the get furious charge, counter-attack AND rage at the same time. This give a normal possessed 4 STR 6 attacks on the charge and 1/3 chance of AP3. That is Death Company level of nasty.

- They are typically ignored by the enemy army, as they have 100 hounds and daemons in their face by the end of turn 1. It's a excellent backfield unit that can slowly move up and they can, and will, kill anything that moves past midfield as your opponent is busy laying down fire on all the rush units.

- Being part of the Slaughtercult gives them 2 boons each turn, for the price of one. Use the +1 Attack for the entire army, and Fnp on the Slaughtercult; You know have a unit composed of 5 guys with 3+/5++ save, 5+ FnP, 5 x STR 6 attacks on the charge, a chance of either having +1I and +1A or AP3 and they cause fear. That is brutal.

Don't rush them forward, but keep them in the backline and move them up. I have had my possessed be a gamechanger in turn 4 and 5, as the opponent totally underestimated and ignored them. It should be noted, that I usually run 2 small Slaughtercults instead of 1 big, as I prefer to have more Chaos Spawn and Juggerheralds/-Lords.

Last edited by Nordicus; 01-07-16 at 07:30 AM.
post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 10:45 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
While I realize that most people don't like the possessed, I wouldn't underestimate that unit when it comes to the tax of the slaughtercult. A few reasons why:

- They are both Marines & Daemons, so the get furious charge, counter-attack AND rage at the same time. This give a normal possessed 4 STR 6 attacks on the charge and 1/3 chance of AP3. That is Death Company level of nasty.

- They are typically ignored by the enemy army, as they have 100 hounds and daemons in their face by the end of turn 1. It's a excellent backfield unit that can slowly move up and they can, and will, kill anything that moves past midfield as your opponent is busy laying down fire on all the rush units.

- Being part of the Slaughtercult gives them 2 boons each turn, for the price of one. Use the +1 Attack for the entire army, and Fnp on the Slaughtercult; You know have a unit composed of 5 guys with 3+/5++ save, 5+ FnP, 5 x STR 6 attacks on the charge, a chance of either having +1I and +1A or AP3 and they cause fear. That is brutal.

Don't rush them forward, but keep them in the backline and move them up. I have had my possessed be a gamechanger in turn 4 and 5, as the opponent totally underestimated and ignored them. It should be noted, that I usually run 2 small Slaughtercults instead of 1 big, as I prefer to have more Chaos Spawn and Juggerheralds/-Lords.
You make a good case for possessed. I suppose in this scenario (with the formation buff) they're one of those units that, on the face of it, don't seem too great until you look into all of the special rules they can have at any given moment. I'll definitely be more inclined to use them in the future and might have another look at a decurion based list

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 11:29 AM
Herald of The Warp

Nordicus's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Squire View Post
I'll definitely be more inclined to use them in the future and might have another look at a decurion based list
Just out of curiosity, how many Hound models do you have? I have a nasty 1850 point list that have 30 hounds in it, and it completely decimates opponents that is not flying and knight heavy - Primarily Daemons as well, with 2 Slaughtercults in total.
post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 01:32 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordicus View Post
Just out of curiosity, how many Hound models do you have? I have a nasty 1850 point list that have 30 hounds in it, and it completely decimates opponents that is not flying and knight heavy - Primarily Daemons as well, with 2 Slaughtercults in total.
None yet. KDK is a new-ish project for me and I'm holding off buying flesh hounds until last in case GW bring out a plastic kit for them. If they still haven't I'll go for those barghest fiend models another company do, but ideally GW will release a plastic kit that doesn't break the bank

I'm not surprised a 30 hound list does major damage. Like I said earlier, I think flesh hounds are amongst the best units in the game. I used to run a small unit in my 4th ed Word Bearers army and they consistently performed; now they're much improved given the meta and ability to hit rear armour on vehicles

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-08-16, 02:36 PM

DelvarusThePitFighter's Flag is: United Kingdom

I recommend adding in a banner of blood to one of those BL units - this greatly helps with units you are deep striking like beatsticks and in my experience is especially Princes if you are using psychic powers with them as these can potentially buff the BL units greatly (to further protect the banner of blood) for example, one allows all of your bloodletters to wield Blades of blood instead of the standard swords
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-10-16, 07:16 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by DelvarusThePitFighter View Post
I recommend adding in a banner of blood to one of those BL units - this greatly helps with units you are deep striking like beatsticks and in my experience is especially Princes if you are using psychic powers with them as these can potentially buff the BL units greatly (to further protect the banner of blood) for example, one allows all of your bloodletters to wield Blades of blood instead of the standard swords
Actually I had a banner of blood penciled in to this list before I posted it up, but then at the last minute swapped it out for two more bloodletters when I figured the daemon prince does a similar job for some of the deepstrikers. One of the charnel cohort formation rules is that the HQ (the daemon prince) acts as a deepstrike beacon for units in that formation coming in, so that's two of the four bloodletter units covered already. At that point I'd just be buying the banner of blood for the benefit of the other two units, and if I ever want to start one unit on the table it'll be one of those two, in which case the banner only benefits one unit which probably isn't justifiable.

Without the formation rule I'd definitely have one banner though, and I'll model one anyway for any bloodletter unit coming in via blood tithe points so the option to change the list a bit will still be there

No psychic powers on Khorne daemons, Khorne hates magic

www.communitycomp.org/

^ Balanced 40k!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 01-11-16, 12:42 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Possessed are surprisingly solid, I've found, yeah. I don't resent them as a tax, much, in my slaughtercults. When the rest of my army is right in my opponent's face on T1, they really don't get much flack thrown their way, so a T1 advance and disembarking from a rhino or something, followed by still a T2 or T3 assault... good fun!

But yeah, I seldom play without at least 20 Flesh Hounds. Unless I'm running my 2 Soul Grinders and 3 Maulerfiends, which is its own world of pain...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode