Melee MSU [1500][3 CAD] - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-13-15, 10:40 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by otasolgryn View Post
i really like the MSU approach.

have to see if i cant convince the locals to multiple CADS.

and been very happy about finding the 25 points for just one psyker lvl.

its alot of dice for 25 points. and it does give you 2-3 spell to use of, depending
Multiple CADs isn't going to see any play in a lot of tourneys, I can't help but think. And I just have to pray not to roll up The Scouring (insist on playing Maelstrom, I suppose?)

And yeah, that psychic aspect seems important. If I can get another summoning unit on top of the Scribes and Portalglyph, who knows, I might well be able to replace losses even faster.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 12:32 AM
Warsmith

Uveron's Flag is: Great Britain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
I don't think I'm missing any hidden insanely powerful synergies, am I?
I think that the trick, it works on small detachment levels. As in 7th edd you need to win each turn, not at the end of the game.. I can understand the why you need to move away from the concentrated fire/synergistic lists.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 01:05 AM

It will depend if your local meta allows self ally and if they have a detachment limit.

Most major tournaments allow self ally but with a 0-1 or 0-2 limit.

Having played both with and against a msu daemon summoning list I've found it very unreliable. Even with 20+ power dice

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 08:09 AM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bahkara View Post
It will depend if your local meta allows self ally and if they have a detachment limit.

Most major tournaments allow self ally but with a 0-1 or 0-2 limit.

Having played both with and against a msu daemon summoning list I've found it very unreliable. Even with 20+ power dice
Yeah, I'm familiar with the general, regular tourney rule of "limited to 2 detachments, most of the time not 2 CADs." Hence this as a list destined for casual play only, unless I combined all these minimum-size squads into maximum-sized squads, just about filling out a CAD-and-a-little, but... nah. Kinda defeats the point of the MSU side of the list, doesn't it? Then you get tempted into expensively buffed Heralds to buff the squad even more with locuses and such... blah.

And, uh, yeah, I'm not too enchanted with pure summoning lists, myself. Hence the focus on melee units, with just a garnish of supplementary units being created: The Blue Scribes and Portalglyph, the things I have in the list, don't even roll for psychic tests. The discussion has been whether or not to introduce so much as a single psychic unit that can take advantage of the naturally-rolled D6 Warp Charge I'd otherwise be wasting every turn...

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 02:53 PM
Warsmith

Quote:
And, uh, yeah, I'm not too enchanted with pure summoning lists, myself. Hence the focus on melee units, with just a garnish of supplementary units being created: The Blue Scribes and Portalglyph, the things I have in the list, don't even roll for psychic tests. The discussion has been whether or not to introduce so much as a single psychic unit that can take advantage of the naturally-rolled D6 Warp Charge I'd otherwise be wasting every turn...
More I have thought about the list, more I like it.

But I still feel that somehow you need some heavy hiting unit. I will have a think...

post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-14-15, 06:52 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uveron View Post
But I still feel that somehow you need some heavy hiting unit. I will have a think...
I'm glad you like it more and more, because I keep thinking up lists that could shred it. 3+ Flyrants, Necrons that lean heavily on their AV13-all-around vehicles until penned (backed up by 6-18 Wraiths of course because of course)... well, not that these lists could shred it per se, I just would have a not too fun game of being the mole in a game of whack-a-mole, trying to claim as many objective points as possible while hoping my units do't dwindle too fast. I mean, it would certainly make for a different playstyle than I'm used to!

The list could use some Armorbane or S10 or something. A Mayhem Pack of 3 Helbrutes with multi-meltas and power fists DSing in? That introduces an armor element I was trying to minimize, so that enemy players would find minimal use for their AT weapons besides 1-shotting Flesh Hounds and Screamers. And if I'm going for 3 Helbrutes, I could well grab 2 naked Soul Grinders, to boot. 5 Walkers or 6-7 squads of wee beasties and 'nettes? Take your pick!

CSM Plog, Tactica

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 03-14-15 at 06:54 PM.
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-15, 04:35 PM
Warsmith

Quote:
I'm glad you like it more and more, because I keep thinking up lists that could shred it. 3+ Flyrants, Necrons that lean heavily on their AV13-all-around vehicles until penned (backed up by 6-18 Wraiths of course because of course)... well, not that these lists could shred it per se, I just would have a not too fun game of being the mole in a game of whack-a-mole, trying to claim as many objective points as possible while hoping my units do't dwindle too fast. I mean, it would certainly make for a different playstyle than I'm used to!
But I think in 7th, this or some variation of this is the way to win.

I have been planning to sit down and have a think about how to make this list (or a variant work) with the current LVO rules. (Which is the torment rules set, I like using the most when thinking about 'competitive play')

post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-15, 07:36 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Quote:
But I think in 7th, this or some variation of this is the way to win.

I have been planning to sit down and have a think about how to make this list (or a variant work) with the current LVO rules. (Which is the torment rules set, I like using the most when thinking about 'competitive play')
If it comes down to kill points, you're pretty hosed. Or the Scouring. Though I suppose with the "no double CAD" aspect of the LVO format, you could only get 3 Fast Attack choices in the first place... it may be hard to come up with something like this, which is so reliant on filling out FA slots. I mean, throw out some Seeker Cavalcades of chariots to use more force org slots on the cheap? Self-ally (like I think the LVO rules allow) for a 4th FA slot? Hell, even bring some Flamers or the like to use Elites, too?

The problem then is you're bringing in lesser choices to fill out a similar number of slots--though I'll be honest, I haven't playtested Seeker Chariots, really, so dunno how "lesser" they are, in a glass-spam melee-rush.

CSM Plog, Tactica

post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-15, 07:46 PM
Warsmith

Quote:
I suppose with the "no double CAD" aspect of the LVO format, you could only get 3 Fast Attack choices in the first place... it may be hard to come up with something like this, which is so reliant on filling out FA slots. I mean, throw out some Seeker Cavalcades of chariots to use more force org slots on the cheap? Self-ally (like I think the LVO rules allow) for a 4th FA slot? Hell, even bring some Flamers or the like to use Elites, too?
Thats the current quandary I have, Does Chaos Demons have a detachment that will let them increase this number... I don't think there is at the moment. Other than Self-Allying that is..

It would be nice if we had a good formation or something along these lines...

post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-15-15, 10:18 PM Thread Starter
Entropy Fetishist

Quote:
It would be nice if we had a good formation or something along these lines...
Precisely what I've been thinking, these past few days. Can't wait until the new Dex comes out with god-specific formations for the "Gilded Nipple-Parade of Slaanesh" or whatever--a Chariot Cavalcade, an HQ, 2-4 squads of 'Nettes, and 1-3 squads of Seekers, who get some rules bonus to boot--assault after running, or something. Kinda excited for next time the Daemons codex rolls around...

CSM Plog, Tactica

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode