1000pts Daemonic Allies - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 09:35 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default 1000pts Daemonic Allies

I have decided that I want 1000pts of Daemons for my overall 3k Chaos force, the CSMs make up the rest, so I came up with this addition to my CSM list last night; (https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...5&postcount=13)

Troops
10 x Daemonettes (inc/Alluress) – 135pts
-1 x Greater Reward
-1 x Rapturous Icon

10 x Daemonettes (inc/Alluress) – 135pts
-1 x Greater Reward
-1 x Rapturous Icon

10 x Plaguebearers (inc/Plagueridden) – 135pts
-1 x Greater Reward
-1 x Plague Banner

10 x Plaguebearers (inc/Plagueridden) – 135pts
-1 x Greater Reward
-1 x Plague Banner

Fast Attack
3 x Plague Drones of Nurgle (inc/Plaguebringer) – 196pts
-1 x Greater Reward
-3 x Death’s Heads
-3 x Rot Probocis
-3 x Venom Sting

5 x Seekers of Slaanesh (inc/Heartseeker) – 85pts
-1 x Lesser Reward
-1 x Icon of Chaos

5 x Seekers of Slaanesh (inc/Heartseeker) – 85pts
-1 x Lesser Reward
-1 x Icon of Chaos

Heavy Support
2 x Seeker Chariots of Slaanesh – 80pts

I feel fairly confident in this list, but the Heavy Support option is one that I am conflicted over; would it be better to have an Exalted Chariot rather than two regular Chariots?? Looking for critique and advice, is this a good Nurglite/Slaaneshi addition to my same allegience CSMs, or can I do this better??

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 03-08-15 at 12:28 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-08-15, 02:51 PM

Personally i love seeker chariots, upgraded with a lesser reward weapon for the Ether Blade (AP2 - Master Crafted) works nice with her on the back with the attacks she has.
Most people tend to find them a bit squishy though, so not worth the cost in money. They do however make great lascannon fodder, as people who have seen them sweep in to combat with some light support like seekers or hounds of khorne will learn to fear them. So might fire some heavy weapons at them to wreck a relatively mid to low cost enemy.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-09-15, 09:15 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

Well, first of all, do you have an HQ for any of these guys? A Herald of Slaanesh, or something? If you have a big squad to benefit from her buff, I tend to find that a HoS with Exalted Locus of Beguilement, a Greater Reward, and a Steed of Slaanesh is going to wreck some serious face.

I think a real danger here is how damn fragile each of these units are--you don't have any defensive buffs like Grimoire or anything, let alone Telepathy levels towards Invisibility or something. T3 models with a 5+ save disappear fast--especially in minimum squad sizes of 5 or 10. The Nurgle units are marginally tougher, with T4 and Shrouded, especially if they're hiding in a ruin, but... they're only half as fast as the Slaaneshi units.

I'm also seeing something of an over-purchasing of upgrades, honestly. One phase of combat for a banner doesn't quite justify it, in my eyes, most of the time: are you also DSing some unit in on that banner? That double stacking of utility is what makes them worthwhile, to my eyes... but I don't know why you'd make sure to buy so damn many banners. And while greater etherblades are great, those champion upgrades make up about 180 points of your list--that could be a lot more daemonic footsoldiers, if you wanted to bulk up the squad sizes a bit...

Ironically enough, the unit that I think could most use a banner doesn't have one. The problem with nurgle daemons, Plaguebearers especially, is how damn slow they are--so I kinda like DSing them in. Now, when they come in they can't run to spread out, so beware cover-ignoring templates and blasts--but dropping a unit of Plaguebearers into a ruin for a 2+ cover save with no scatter from nearby Plague Drones with a banner... mmm! Saved yourself several turns of slogging up the board and getting shot to pieces!

Not that you need to buy the Drones every single upgrade. For one thing, you're only allowed to buy either rot probiscus or venom sting...

So the question is what are you doing with the PB units? Plagueswords are great for whittling down vehicles or killing anything with a Toughness value and a less-than-2+ armor, but... they're a melee unit with Slow & Purposeful. If you're not DSing them, they're basically only good for camping on a home objective--a job that Nurglings do better, with more wounds, for half the price of the squad. Perhaps take one unit of 15 or so PBs, and one unit of 3 Nurgling swarms? It would cost just about the same number of points, and would let you DS the larger unit of PBs in on the Drones, while letting the cheaper little unit hold your home objective.

I'd honestly probably shoot for one larger unit of Seekers than 2 tiny ones. One of those tiny ones will disappear the first time so much as any light infantry fire wisps in its direction.

I... honestly haven't played with Seeker Chariots. They could be excellent, for all I know, but... they looks like such fragile glass cannons, on paper. Really focusing on defensive buffs like Grimoire and Invisibility would probably make them function well, I know, I know--it's just like a normal Slaaneshi glass cannon list, for me...

Ahem. What I might suggest with similar minis at 1k points:

110 - HoS w/ Greater Reward, Beguilement, Steed of Slaanesh (joins Daemonettes--may Outflank w/ Acute Senses if desired, thanks to the Steed, and gives a lot of Beguilement rerolls)

75 - HoN w/ Exalted Reward (swap for Grimoire) (joins Nurglings)

171 - 19 Plaguebearers

60 - 4 Nurgling Swarms

180 - 20 Daemonettes

211 - 3 Plague Drones w/ Venom Sting, Death's Heads, Plaguebringer w/ Lesser Reward, Plague Banner

193 - 14 Seekers

+

The 19 Plaguebearers lets you kitbash a HoN from the set; the 14 Seekers lets you make a HoS from the third box of Seekers. I figure you can get a 4th base of nurglings with a judicious spread of the Nurglings in the Nurgling kit and in the Plaguebearer boxes...

The Plague Drones are a kinda hypothetical combo, there, for the Plague Banner plus the Venom Sting, which is... certainly not the most reliable, with no AP and WS3, but 3+ poisoned upgraded to 2+ poisoned is less nice than Instant Death 4+ poisoned upgraded to Poisoned.

And the Plaguebringer--well, he can make an AP2 IDing attack with 2+ Poisoned when the Banner pops, so provided that he can hit the target... I figure that little combo makes the Lesser Reward fine, since +1S for the Greater is not so useful when 2+ Poisoned is also in the cards, for at least one phase.

You could make the unit a lot less expensive by taking a mere Icon of Chaos, no squad leader upgrade, and no venom sting--but where's the fun in another 55 points to flaunt freely? Just, say, 2 Mastery Levels... or a handful of Seekers/Daemonettes more.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-15, 10:33 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mossy Toes View Post
Well, first of all, do you have an HQ for any of these guys? A Herald of Slaanesh, or something? If you have a big squad to benefit from her buff, I tend to find that a HoS with Exalted Locus of Beguilement, a Greater Reward, and a Steed of Slaanesh is going to wreck some serious face.
Do I need one? I was under the assumption that since my CSM's have a Warlord, the Daemons that are a part of the force do not need one. But if they can then I suppose a Herald of Slaanesh would be my choice, since the CSM force is a mix of Nurgle/Slaanesh.

Quote:
I... honestly haven't played with Seeker Chariots. They could be excellent, for all I know, but... they looks like such fragile glass cannons, on paper. Really focusing on defensive buffs like Grimoire and Invisibility would probably make them function well, I know, I know--it's just like a normal Slaaneshi glass cannon list, for me...
Hm, I guess. I'm not wedded to the idea of having them in the army, I just thought they looked awesome.

Quote:
Ahem. What I might suggest with similar minis at 1k points:

110 - HoS w/ Greater Reward, Beguilement, Steed of Slaanesh (joins Daemonettes--may Outflank w/ Acute Senses if desired, thanks to the Steed, and gives a lot of Beguilement rerolls)

75 - HoN w/ Exalted Reward (swap for Grimoire) (joins Nurglings)

171 - 19 Plaguebearers

60 - 4 Nurgling Swarms

180 - 20 Daemonettes

211 - 3 Plague Drones w/ Venom Sting, Death's Heads, Plaguebringer w/ Lesser Reward, Plague Banner

193 - 14 Seekers
Nice. Same amount of models and same price, just redistributed. Very nicely done, thanks Mossy.

Will take your advice and make this my list. Looking forward to painting and playing these guys.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-11-15, 12:57 PM

If you want to use the army as battleforged then you would need an HQ for them of some form for the CAD or Allied Detachment. If you want unbound then go with whatever structure you want

Depending on your main force though you could of course go for Belakor as a Daemonic leader for the force as he can lead either. This would push a few extra pts in to the daemonic part of the list, but if you have a prince in the CSM force it could be a very slight change. Though he is awesome for his pts.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 03-12-15, 06:02 AM
Entropy Fetishist

Mossy Toes's Flag is: USA

...Be'lakor is excellent for sticking Invisibility on the Seekers or that block of 20 Daemonettes the turn the Herald Outflanks them in, before they can assault... Helps those T3 5+ save minis survive no end of shooting that gets thrown their way.

He's just expensive as all hell.

CSM Plog, Tactica

What sphinx of plascrete and adamantium bashed open their skulls and ate up their brains and imagination? Imperator! Imperator!

Last edited by Mossy Toes; 03-12-15 at 06:26 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Warhammer 40K > 40k Army Lists > Chaos Daemon Army Lists

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode