Helsreach fluff or not? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 04:05 PM Thread Starter

stalarious's Flag is: Germany

Default Helsreach fluff or not?

Ok so I finally bought Helsreach yesterday and so far I love what I am reading. But my question is do I hold it up to "fluff" of 40k or just look at it as a authors work of fiction?

So I am growing my enemy.....so what I gotta kill something.

CENTER][/CENTER]

Last edited by Commissar Ploss; 09-13-11 at 10:05 PM. Reason: fixed your spelling... and title. -CP
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 04:07 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

I believe all novels in Black Library count as official fluff, and unfortunately this means that CS Goto's work does as well, unless I'm mistaken.

So yeah, Helsreach does count as fluff.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 05:14 PM

Apfeljunge's Flag is: Germany

http://www.boomtron.com/2011/03/grim...i-loose-canon/

The author of Helsreach about Canon and 40k.

Quote:
I got it wrong myself, right up until I was in a meeting with the company’s Intellectual Property Manager – a situation I find myself in several times a year, as part of the Horus Heresy novel series team. When I was specifically asking about canon, he replied with something I’ve tried to take to heart: “It’s all real, and one of it’s real.”

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 05:56 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I think this is the key quote:

"In short, the belief is usually that the design studio has precedence, and everything else isn’t canon. That’s actually wrong, but several aspects reinforce the misjudgement, not least that a few top brass quotes have been poorly phrased or taken out of context; some novelists wildly diverging from the source material for reasons apparent to no one but themselves; and the fact that the design studio has 30 years of history where it was essentially the sole source of canon. Its products are the foundation for the whole license – it’s the source, the core, the chewy nougat centre at the heart of it all. With the weight of history and its place as by far the most widespread, its published lore reaches the most eyes and ears."
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 06:57 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Also, and here is the real decider whether it's fluff or not, ALL the Space Marine Battles books are based on events already covered- they merely flesh them out rather than create them entirely from scratch.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 07:17 PM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

Good point, Baron!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 09-13-11, 10:08 PM
Semi-Famous 40k Intellect

Commissar Ploss's Flag is: USA

Yes, Helsreach does follow the guidelines of traditionally accepted fluff on the 3rd battle for Armageddon. However, it increases and expands upon the characters involved and creates a very tight, engaging narrative that touches on, in my opinion the almost autistic nature of the Black Templar's and Astartes in general. a very interesting theme.

for the record, i hate it when someone asks if a book "follows the fluff" or not. One wonders why you would even ask that question in the first place. There's a much tighter reign on the current authors in terms of continuity these days. And we no longer have to put up with the Goto-esque nature of canon-fucking. Seriously, give them some credit, they're NYT bestsellers some of them...

CP

edit: and i've taken the liberty of correcting the title of your thread as well as the way you've spelled it within your opening post. If you're going to discuss a book, at least make sure you know how to spell it's title...

The Founding Fields

Last edited by Commissar Ploss; 09-13-11 at 10:11 PM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode