Horus Heresy Chronological Order? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-08-11, 11:44 PM Thread Starter

Ahzdeeen's Flag is: USA

Default Horus Heresy Chronological Order?

Does anyone know the order to read the books in, if I wanted to do it chronologically instead of the dates they were written/published? My internet searching abilities are a little...lets say hindered...by gov't blocking.
Thanks for any help!

... Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. ...They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat. -RADM J. Stark, USN
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-11, 12:16 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Hmm, too tired to try and sort a list out now. But i think it would be quite hard to do anyway, as the various books to flicker between different parts of the Crusade quite often. The First Heretic for instance starts a little over 50 years before the Heresy begins, yet ends almost one of the furthest along of the books. Likewise Tales of Heresy arguably had the earliest story when it shows the Emperor himself destroying the last church on Terra during or just after the Unification Wars but then also contains some stories set during the Crusade or at the start of the Heresy.

So yeah, all in all i think it would be very difficult to actually do.
post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-09-11, 03:15 AM Thread Starter

Ahzdeeen's Flag is: USA

Roger that, I'll just go in order of dates they were put out. Thanks!

... Marines I see as two breeds, Rottweilers or Dobermans, because Marines come in two varieties, big and mean, or skinny and mean. ...They're aggressive on the attack and tenacious on defense. They've got really short hair and they always go for the throat. -RADM J. Stark, USN

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-11, 05:10 AM

That's what I'd suggest you do. Read the first 4 published and from there on pick and choose whichever ones seem the most interesting to you. As a side note I'd also suggest you read A Thousand Sons followed directly by Prospero Burns.

Cheers
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-11-11, 09:20 AM

March of Time's Flag is: Great Britain

You should also read Fallen Angels after Decent of Angels.
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-11, 01:44 PM

Seph's Flag is: Great Britain

This has actually been really helpful to me as i have always wondered what was the best way to work through these novels.

Tread-Head Just aint the right word...
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-11, 08:01 PM
description whore

deathbringer's Flag is: England

strictly chronological as in when the first page starts and ignoring the little collections like tales of heresy and age of darkness i would hazard a guess at
descent of angels
horus rising
the first heretic
fulgrim
flight of the einstein
false gods

just from that order their is no way in hell i would read them like that as you need to read galaxy in flames before fulgrim or flight
read them in order of publication
most definitely the best way

kudos to lillian thorne for the awesome sig
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 07-18-11, 08:38 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

First Heretic before Horus Rising surely. Then you would have to start swapping books around as books like First Heretic jump forwards 50 years. Like we said, publication is the best.

On the note of the time jumps though, i personally like to keep Descent of Angels and Fallen Angels as they are in the order. I like the buffer of a few books to bridge the 50 year gap between the two Dark Angel books. But thats just me i guess.
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-28-13, 12:16 AM

kaboot's Flag is: Canada

Im gonna re-open this thread, as my question is relevant

I want to start reading on the HH, im not too interested in the chronological order, but the story order.

Whats the best book to start and get and idea of the time period? And are they all seperate books, or are there series??

Thanks
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-13, 04:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboot View Post
Im gonna re-open this thread, as my question is relevant

I want to start reading on the HH, im not too interested in the chronological order, but the story order.

Whats the best book to start and get and idea of the time period? And are they all seperate books, or are there series??

Thanks
I'm sure they arent all seperate books, but i would be interested in the general answer to this question as well.

Right now I'm trying to read a bunch of the "current" timeline books before i mess with HH, so that I can notice the difference between Currrent and HH without much difficulty.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode