Horus Heresy Chronological Order? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-13, 05:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaboot View Post
Im gonna re-open this thread, as my question is relevant

I want to start reading on the HH, im not too interested in the chronological order, but the story order.

Whats the best book to start and get and idea of the time period? And are they all seperate books, or are there series??

Thanks
Truthfully the best book to start with is horus rising.

In terms of story it gives you a perspective as to how a typical astartes/human is seeing things.

From there I'd read false gods and then pick and choose.

You want to read those first two books as it sets the scene for the rest of the heresy.

As for the second part of the question they are and they aren't. Each book is written by different authors who did compare notes. But they also help form a much larger picture.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 01-31-13, 06:20 AM

DeathJester921's Flag is: USA

I would read the first three then go from there. Horus Rising, False Gods, and then Galaxy in Flames. They perfectly set up the Horus Heresy.

My youtube channel. Feel free to stop by and have a look if you're interested. I do Airsoft, some warhammer related videos, and gaming videos.

R.I.P. Uncle Lee. You will be greatly missed by us all. We will see each other again some day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamTheApostle View Post
Remember kids: Violence isn't the answer, its the question. The answer is yes.
post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-20-13, 12:15 AM
bobss's Flag is: England

I've been absent from the Horus Heresy for a rather long time and intend to do this. Not 'which book started first' or anything so linear, but still with a specific pattern in mind. Ever since I read The First Heretic I've always desired to read it directly after Fulgrim for a good coverage of Dropsite Massacre carnage and an exploration into how it all went bad for juxtaposition to the present. And, inevitably, some books will be cut out altogether.

Can anyone tell me when the Sacking of Prospero occurred relative to the Isstvan strife? Before Isstvan III or afterwards, but prior to Isstvan V?

post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 06:17 PM

I've not read all the books so I cant do a deffinitive list but here how I would approach it

01. The First Heretic
02. A Thousand Sons
03. Horus Rising
04. False Gods
05. Galaxy in Flames
06. Flight of the Esienstein
07. Battle for the Abyss
08. Know no fear
09. Betrayer
10. Mark of Calth (obviously not read it yet but im aware of where it fits in)
11. Fear to Tread
12. Angel Extreminatus
13. Nemisis

The problem book for me is Legion because its so long ago that I cant recall when its set
Nemisis is a hard but to judge when it takes place, im assuming its much much later in the war so have put it at the end. It could come before Angel Exterminatus though, but unlikely to be before Fear to Tread.

Battle for the Abyss and Know no Fear take place at the same time but I would suggest reading them in this order so it doesnt brake up the chain of events between Know no Fear and Mark of calth.

As sub series, in my list, books 3,4,5,6 should be read back to back, as should 8,9,10

Books I find somewhat irrelevant to the timeline are
Tales of Heresy - some good stories but all over the place in regards to time and not essential to the series
Propsero Burns - very little do with the Heresy and the parts that are are generally covered in A Thousand Sons.
Descent of Angels - sod all to do with the heresy
Fallen Angels - at the moment, very little to do with the heresy story, but could become more important later on - but I think they'll fail to develope it because it will break the 'secret' of the dark angels.
Primarchs - individually useful but as a book, disjointed for a timeline.

I've not read
Fulgrim - though I have the book. If I have read it, i cant recall a damn thing about it.
Mechanicum
Age of Darkness - though like tales I think it will be all over the place and lack importantce in establishing timelines
Outcast Dead
Deliverance Lost
Shadows of Treachery (more tales)

Then there are lots of short stories as well released as e-books and audio books, which are part of the heresy but i'm not going to try and fit them in here.

How does that list sound to people? can you fit the others books in that i've not read.

Last edited by Stephen74; 04-23-13 at 06:21 PM.
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 06:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
I've been absent from the Horus Heresy for a rather long time and intend to do this. Not 'which book started first' or anything so linear, but still with a specific pattern in mind. Ever since I read The First Heretic I've always desired to read it directly after Fulgrim for a good coverage of Dropsite Massacre carnage and an exploration into how it all went bad for juxtaposition to the present. And, inevitably, some books will be cut out altogether.

Can anyone tell me when the Sacking of Prospero occurred relative to the Isstvan strife? Before Isstvan III or afterwards, but prior to Isstvan V?
It deffinately happens before Isstvan III, possible many years before it.

One problem with the Nikea Edict and the various books is that A Thousand Sons establishs a time from for the creation of the Librarians and their end, but books written before (and maybe after a thousands sons - actually written, not when set) have Librarians outside of this time frame.
post #16 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 09:42 PM

According to a Laurie Goulding post on another forum, the sacking of Prospero happened after Horus was struck down on the moon of Davin, and approximately 1 year before Istvaan III.

Cheers,
Marcus

Blogging the Horus Heresy here
post #17 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 10:46 PM

Makes sense. I even remember my favourite line from Prospero Burns in which Horus likens the Sacking to a move in chess. Cheers.

I also believe Horus Rising should be viewed first, regardless of your viewing criteria. It's the series' progenitor in more ways than one. I also contest the notion of reading The First Heretic first. Whilst it does cover events prior to Horus Rising, it elaborates on the Word Bearers' machinations which were touched on in the original Horus novels, the apotheosis of this treachery being the Drop Site Massacre -- sort of a doorway into a new, bloody era I've always thought. There's a definite air of this in both novels which cover Isstvan V.

My list is coming along nicely. Fitting short stories and the likes of Mechanicum into the timeline was difficult, but I quite like the idea of nipping into an anthology for a story here and there.

I believe every Heresy instalment brings something new to the table, but under no circumstances would Prospero Burns fail to make the cut. Is that a can of worms I hear being opened?
post #18 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-23-13, 11:14 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobss View Post
but under no circumstances would Prospero Burns fail to make the cut. Is that a can of worms I hear being opened?
Considering I feel it is one of the best novels of the series, especially from a literacy and writing point, no, should never be left out.
post #19 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 01:22 AM

It is a great novel indeed. While A Thousand Sons worked with more material and was much more apocalyptic in scale, Prospero Burns had an air of mastery to it's story and portrayal of the Space Wolves which I've come to appreciate more over time. Together, they're a nice duology which paint one of the Heresy's tragedies more vividly than, say, Isstvan III.

Haven't tackled Calth yet. Expecting the unexpected is the best way to put it.
post #20 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-24-13, 04:36 PM

Prospero Burns was ok as a book, not that well written imo, but it has so little to do with the heresy that isn't covered in a Thousand Sons. There is a minor issue about Magnus using someone as a spy, but it goes nowhere.

99% of the book is about fluffing up the space wolves and it does so badly. The issue of 'no wolves on fenris' for example is just left hanging before being totally ballsed up by events in A Thousand Sons.

This book can be completely left out of the HH series and the series would be better for doing so.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode