Fulgrim & Descent of Angels - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 12:48 AM Thread Starter

Commissar Schultz's Flag is: USA

Default Fulgrim & Descent of Angels

I been trying to read the HH series in Order, but can't seem to find the Eisenstein one anywhere, so purchased Fulgrim and just finished it.

That book was just rough. In a good way I mean. I know it's the way of things in the 40K fluff, but it just blows my mind what he went through, and how eagerly he joined Horus's bandwagon. So was Ferrus the first primarch to die? (Not counting the 2 missing ones.)

I did appreciate how Fulgrim finally realized how bad he messed up. I was like FINALLY! Not to bright for a Primarch. But it's easy to say that as an unknown observer to the story. Anyways, I did enjoy it especially the Istavaan V attack. I'd heard only hushed whispers of how it went down, now it's nice to know what really happened.

So..I have to wonder..and it's probably the understatement of the year..but I assume the Emperor's Children and Iron Hands are... well the embodiement of rivals/enemies/foes.

As for the Descent of Angels I just picked it up a couple hours ago. I was never really a huge DA fan, but my interest is piqued regarding how they split and Caliban was blown up. And all that other juicy, fluffy goodness.

Wonder what this does
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 12:57 AM
nice boy, daft though !

bitsandkits's Flag is: United Kingdom

decent of angels is bloody aweful ,seriously its the worst book i have ever read and i have read Sean Austins autobiograhy were he moans that he didnt get enough recognition
for playing sam in LOTR.

Never pay again for live sex! | Hot girls doing naughty stuff for free! | Chat for free!

HUGE BITZ RESTOCK NOW ON
post #3 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 01:16 AM

I quite liked Descent of angels... its much slower paced than the other books and gives a much greater overview to the great crusade and the heresy. Anyway:

http://www.play.com/Books/Books/4-/1...rlrefer=search

post #4 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 02:19 AM
Craw-Daddy

Descent of Angels is hard to read. But I enjoyed the history of Caliban. Its essential in understanding it later in the Heresy.

Fulgrim maybe one of my favorite novels in the Heresy. Its between that and Horus Rising for me.

The thing with Fulgrim was that Horus was such an influence to Fulgrim and his legion that he trusted him too much. He could also could sense that what Horus was saying he truly thought was the honest truth. So in that sense Fulgrim was told the truth.
post #5 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 09:17 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Schultz View Post
So was Ferrus the first primarch to die? (Not counting the 2 missing ones.)
Yes, I'm pretty sure that Ferrus Manus was the first of the Primarchs to die, unless someone states otherwise.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commissar Schultz View Post
So..I have to wonder..and it's probably the understatement of the year..but I assume the Emperor's Children and Iron Hands are... well the embodiement of rivals/enemies/foes.
They're not the only embodiement of rivals/enemies/foes though.

Don't forget about these:

Space Wolves / Thousand Sons
Imperial Fists / Iron Warriors (Not So Much)
post #6 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 10:24 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by bitsandkits View Post
decent of angels is bloody aweful ,seriously its the worst book i have ever read and i have read Sean Austins autobiograhy were he moans that he didnt get enough recognition
for playing sam in LOTR.
I got confused with 'Steve Austin' the wrestler guy then and my mind did a double take!
post #7 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-22-11, 11:31 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
Yes, I'm pretty sure that Ferrus Manus was the first of the Primarchs to die, unless someone states otherwise.

Not so much??? Are you kidding me lol? They are the embodiement of rivalry, just as large as the Wolves and Thousand Sons, certainly larger than the Iron Hands and Emperors Children i would argue.

And yes Ferrus was certainly the first of the known primarchs to die. Though the two unknowns(who are almost certainly dead imo) would have been before him.
post #8 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-23-11, 09:14 PM

Descent of Angels was slow, but it is not really that bad, and you can't skip it. Also you have to get your hands on eisenstein it was one of the best ones and it sets up the main character for his own spin off later.
post #9 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-11, 04:58 AM Thread Starter

Commissar Schultz's Flag is: USA

Yeah the Descent of Angels so far is..IMO ok at best. I'm no English professor, but the way he words the sentences is just weird. I had to re-read a few of them more then once, wondering..What in the Hell. I know I'm just being picky. And being only so far into it, about 1/3rd of the way, but he don't really seem to make Lion the Primarch he is supposed to be. The main char just seems like..Wow this guy is pretty cool and a hero. Just seems like Lion don't get the respect a Primarch deserves.

I dunno. I do like the book, but kinda slow so far, what with the circles and spiral talk. But then again I'm not done with the book so far. It seems ok at best to me at this point.

Wonder what this does
post #10 of 20 (permalink) Old 03-24-11, 05:22 AM
Craw-Daddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post

Ouch. I would not go that far. Fulgrim and Ferrus I wouldn't say were very much rivals till Istvaan. But it seemed as though what first started off as looking like a rivalry when they first met, became admiration of one another. Maybe a small rivalry in the lamest terms but it didn't seem like they tried to outcompete each other. Especially in that scene where they were helping each other with that fleet battle.

The Wolves vs Thousand Sons was rivalry in terms of two completley different ideologies, while the Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists was a rivalry of the same techniques but different approaches.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Not so much??? Are you kidding me lol? They are the embodiement of rivalry, just as large as the Wolves and Thousand Sons, certainly larger than the Iron Hands and Emperors Children i would argue.

And yes Ferrus was certainly the first of the known primarchs to die. Though the two unknowns(who are almost certainly dead imo) would have been before him.
I concur. Though I understand Bane of Kings would not see it so due to the lack of literature so far in the Heresy for the Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists.

Certainly before the Heresy Series, the Iron Warriors and Imperial Fists were probably the biggest rivalry known about the legions. The Wolves of Fenris with the Thousand Sons are relatively newer due to the new novels.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode