Speculation about future Horus Heresy books - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 12:27 PM Thread Starter

Default Speculation about future Horus Heresy books

I recently got a copy of "The Horus Heresy - collected visions". An excellent book I can highly recommend. Reading this got me to thinking about what key events set during the Heresy era that have not yet been covered. I would argue that all of these (and probably more besides) will or should be covered. Here is my list but what do others think?

Pre Isstvan III
- Siege of Olympia
- More origin books about each Legion (like Descent of Angels) and their involvement in the Great Crusade

Pre Isstvan V
- Battle of Calth
- Signus Cluster (rumoured to be the next book by James Swallow - whooop)

During the Age of Darkness, ie Pre Siege of Terra
- Haroldar & Thramas
- Chondax
- Phall
- Doom of the Death Guard
- Fall of Mars
- War in the Webway

Siege of Terra
- Without a doubt a set of books detailing different accounts/POV, I reckon at least a trilogy

The Scouring
- It would be good to see some novels dealing with the aftermath because the Heresy didn't simply end when Horus died!

Anyone got any other ideas for topics/themes or events that could/should be covered in the HH series before it ends?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 12:33 PM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

I'd really like for there to a be a HH novel dealing with the White Scars and the mindfuck delivered to them- it was bad enough for the other Primarchs finding out Horus had rebelled, but for the Khan and his Legion it must have been shattering.

They emerge from their successful campaigning, jubilant with victory and wander straight into a civil war that has been ripping the Imperium apart for 6 years so far.

Immediately they're ordered by Dorn to head for Terra, whilst getting pleas for aid from Leman Russ who is being attacked by the Alpha Legion- how is Jaghatai supposed to know that Russ isn't in fact the traitor rather than Alpharius?

I just think the confusion and indecision of an entire Legion would be a cool book.
post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 12:56 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
I just think the confusion and indecision of an entire Legion would be a cool book.
I really don't think there was any indecision on the part of the Khan. While he may have felt guilty about leaving Russ in the lurch, I think he would have seen there was only one thing to do. Get to Terra to help defend his father and protect the birth planet of the human race. If primarchs are anything, they're pragmatic.

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 01:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
I really don't think there was any indecision on the part of the Khan. While he may have felt guilty about leaving Russ in the lurch, I think he would have seen there was only one thing to do. Get to Terra to help defend his father and protect the birth planet of the human race. If primarchs are anything, they're pragmatic.
But how was he to know that Russ was the loyalist and Alpharius the traitor? He had to hope that Russ was still loyal to their father, it's that sort of confusion I meant.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 01:21 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Spikey View Post
But how was he to know that Russ was the loyalist and Alpharius the traitor? He had to hope that Russ was still loyal to their father, it's that sort of confusion I meant.
Again, it didn't matter which of them was loyal. All he could hope for was that the loyalist, whichever one it was, was victorious. The only option was to get to Terra, and the rest would sort itself out.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 02:45 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Again, it didn't matter which of them was loyal. All he could hope for was that the loyalist, whichever one it was, was victorious.
And if the loyal brother died? Then what?

Though the Khan would have made a choice to defend Terra, he also made the choice to send no aid to a plea of help from what may have been a loyal brother. And from that decision, that loyal brother was killed. Guilt like that, to knowingly ignore your brothers request for aid and the lack of it helping to lead in his death, thats a heavy burden.

I see what Baron is talking about and I would love to see it as well. The White Scars had to make several hard choices. They opted for what some might consider the easiest way out, but there is no telling how far it went and what they went through to come to that decision.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 03:21 PM

And of course the Khan also didn't know if Dorn was loyal, for all he knew the Imperial Fists' Primarch was luring him into an ambush whilst he was en-route to Terra. The Khan took a huge leap of faith in obeying Dorn and leaving Russ.
post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 04:17 PM

increaso's Flag is: England

The signus cluster is definitely the subject of jim swallows next HH book and neither the scouring nor rubrik (if I heard currectly) will form part of the series.the HH will end with the death of horus or thereabouts. Sorry but on way back from BLL and txt and coherence don't mix!

Last edited by increaso; 03-05-11 at 04:21 PM.
post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-05-11, 07:44 PM
Drinker of tea...

TheReverend's Flag is: United Kingdom

Well it will be interesting to see what happens to the Blood Angels.

That White Scars idea would be great, because Khan did have to make a momentous decision, and that decision could have changed the outcome of the Heresy one way or the other, and that sort of decision making is what good books is all about.

Saying that it wouldn't have been a hard decision for Khan is just robbing him of his humanity and all emotion, and we're always moaning that space marine novels brush over the humanity and emotions of their protagonists. Does Khan help is brother, or his father? That's always a hard choice to make whoever you are.

And we forget that Alpharius is his brother too, so that makes the decision even harder. This story would also help shed some light on the relationships between Khan, Russ, Dorn and Alpharius.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 03-06-11, 08:14 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by increaso View Post
neither the scouring nor rubrik (if I heard currectly) will form part of the series.the HH will end with the death of horus or thereabouts
Personally I think that is a mistake.

If you have a successful line of books (more than a million sold) then from a business POV you should milk it a little further. I know I would buy a few books covering the Scouring!

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode