First Black Library Book You Ever Read? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 10:06 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default First Black Library Book You Ever Read?

Everyone loves the new releases of Black Library, but what was the very first of their work that you ever bought and read. Is that book still one of your favourites or has it lost its sheen over the years?

My first BL novel was Fulgrim. One random day while at my local Games Workshop, after looking at their out-dated Dark Eldar models, I passed by the novel section and on a whim bought a copy of Fulgrim. I was addicted afterwards and bought as many as I could get. Fulgrim itself will always be one of my favourite novels, not only as my first BL book, but as the catalyst that got me interested in reading and writing. The tragic tale of Fulgrim's fall, the machinations of Fabius Bile, the treachery of Lucius, the death of Solomon Demeter, and the incredible scene that was the Maraviglia and the birth of the very first Slaaneshi Astartes. Truly an epic book.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 10:28 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

I think the first thing I read by Black Library was the short story collection that had William King's "Deathwing" in it.

I can't say it was--or is--one of my favorites, but it opened my eyes to the possibilities of stories set in a very dystopian far-future, in which there is only war. "Storm of Iron", by Graham McNeill was the first Black Library book I really enjoyed, with engaging characters and ideas* that are sadly not as prevalent anymore.

* E.g, the sort of brutal idealism that Honsou espouses, wherein Chaos is the best avenue for Humanity, if we are all to survive in a brutal universe. I found the idea of the Chaos Space Marines hating the Imperium and the loyalist Astartes but at the same time still seeing themselves as "the right side" (and in a weird way as champions of mankind) to be very appealing.

Unfortunately, said motif has been replaced by much more cut-and-dry villains. Anthony Reynolds' Word Bearers stories were very good, for instance, but ultimately there was no redeeming quality to his protagonists.
post #3 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 10:28 AM

Flayed 0ne's Flag is: USA

Icon

im sorta of the "new school" i guess...my first BL book was Soul Hunter...i liked ADB's style so much i decided to read The First Heretic next...then Fear the Alien, cause again ADB was on the roster...im ~finaly~ branching off and reading The Kaban Project now to be followed by Mechanicum...im diggin Graham, but will always be alittle bias for ADB i think cause he allowed me to really fall into the whole sha-bang...im after certain storylines and fluff now but eventualy i think i will read a great majority of the 40k/Heresy books...great, great stuff

Last edited by Flayed 0ne; 01-16-11 at 10:33 AM.

post #4 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 11:12 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

My first was Horus Rising, and I had some problems while reading it, firstly the 40k names of things that exist already today like a camera is a picter and hospital is the medicae and Erebus turned up out of nowhere, but I continued reading the books and when I was out ofresh books, I re-read the first three books in the series and now I understand what actually happened in Horus Rising, viewing parts I missed or forgot.

Fulgrim is to this day my favorite book, Graham McNeil also being one of my favorite authors since he's done a great job IMO of despicting the fall of Horus, Fulgrim, Magnus and the Night Haunter in the audio The Dark King.
post #5 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 11:21 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Flayed One,

"Soul Hunter" was the tits.
post #6 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 11:45 AM

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

Mine was Space Wolf by William King. Still one of the best books to ease someone into 40k if they are a newbie. Particularly if they are not 100% up on what a Space Marine is.

post #7 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 11:45 AM

Sacred Feth's Flag is: Scotland

Fifteen Hours by Mitchel Scanlon about 5 years ago. I now have 76 Black Library books
post #8 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 12:08 PM

I'm just showing my age here but my first BL book was First and Only, shortly follwed by Troll Slayer. So this would be about 12 years ago when BL published their first books. I remember it seemed quite a novelty at the time that there were now novels for the games I loved playing. First and Only's still as enjoyable to read now as it was then, not sure if it's one of my favourites though, lots to compete with.
post #9 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 12:26 PM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

Dark angels
post #10 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-16-11, 12:59 PM
Deathwing Commissar

There's a BL novel named "Dark Angels"?

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode