First Black Library Book You Ever Read? - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-19-11, 07:08 PM

Bane_of_Kings's Flag is: England

The first one that I owned was an old preowned copy of Chaos Child by Ian Watson, which I still haven't got around to reading. The first that I read was Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou.

Bane of Kings Out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-19-11, 08:33 PM

Watson's Space Marine,back in the early 90's.I was a casual reader of White Dwarf,and a poor painter of miniatures.Bought the book for a pound from some second hand bookstore.Sold it for a tidy profit on ebay many tears later.Still got another of Watson's early books upstairs somewhere.
Didn't really get back into the world of 40k till I picked up the first Gaunt's Ghosts omnibus in WH Smiths about four years ago.Now a masiive fan of the First and Only,and really enjoying the Horus Heresy as well.

we fall to rise
post #33 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-19-11, 09:31 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

It was actually the Konrad trilogy, Konrad, Shadowbreed and Warblade. Still some of my favourite BL novels. They are so much darker than the current fantasy fiction.

post #34 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 12:42 AM

Let the Galaxy Burn Anthology several years ago.
post #35 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 11:44 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bane_of_Kings View Post
The first that I read was Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou.
Jesus, what a way to start. Nearly as bad, IMO, as BftA. Surprised you stuck with it.
post #36 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 04:59 PM

Elita's Flag is: England

First book I read was the Eisenhorn omnibus. I stayed up at all hours reading it because I was so stuck into it. Great reading experience.

Ph.D in tea

"What did you do to Gears? You turned him - nice!"
post #37 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-20-11, 07:14 PM

Dīnadan's Flag is: Wales

Think the first one I read was TrollSlayer.
post #38 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-21-11, 02:16 AM
Feed

Started out with Ultramarines Omnibus and Eisenhorn. Have since branched into the Heresy series and any xeno related book I can find.

Nonsense is our Salvation

post #39 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-21-11, 03:28 PM

Burias's Flag is: USA

My first was Dark Apostle. I found it in a Goodwill store for 75 cents a few years ago and thought "Why not?" I worked in a comic book/miniatures store in High School, so I knew what the whole 40K universe was about in a broad sense, but had never read anything other than the packages the miniatures came in and literature store management required us to read, so we were at least partially versed in the area to help out customers, lol.

After Dark Apostle I read Dark Disciple, then had to wait for Dark Creed to be released. While I was waiting I bought Storm of Iron and Demon World, seeking out any Chaos Marines novels I could find at my local bookstore. Then I was fortunate to select Eisenhorn, and was shown that a lot of BL books are good, not just CSM books. Dark Apostle was my favorite for years, until just yesterday, when I finished The First Heretic. I thoroughly enjoyed it, and was grateful that that side of the HH story was finally told. And thats all Ill say about that, dont want to ruin it for any of those that have yet to read that fine addition to the Horus Heresy collection.

I am VERY happy I picked that book up that day, and as far as I am concerned it was the best 75 cents Ive ever spent. My collection has expanded significantly, growing to a modest 52 volumes, more if you count the omnibus editions as separate books. I have re-read the Dark Apostle, Disciple, Creed trilogy several times since then, and still pick one of them up occassionally while waiting for my newest purchases to arrive in the mail.
post #40 of 93 (permalink) Old 01-24-11, 06:15 AM

RudeAwakening79's Flag is: Netherlands

My first book was HORUS RISING and got hooked after that, it was the bronze edition (3rd print). I was interested because I wanted to know more about the horus heresy.
Bought it in 2008 and I now own an extensive collection of around 45 books and I've devoured them all...

To my drug-addled mind, the voice sounded like that of the Emperor himself, and I found myself wondering if I should have spent a bit more time in the temple, and a bit less in bars, gambling dens and bordellos, but it seemed a little late to be worrying about that now. If I had indeed arrived at the Golden Throne, I'd just have to hope its occupant was in a good mood, and try to steer the conversation on to safer ground at the earliest oppertunity.
===Commissar Ciaphas Cain===

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode