Best 40k Series of Black Library? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

View Poll Results: What is the Best 40k Series of Black Library?
Gaunt's Ghosts 12 26.67%
Ultramarines 1 2.22%
Blood Angels 0 0%
Ciaphas Cain 8 17.78%
Salamanders 1 2.22%
Eisenhorn 11 24.44%
Ravenor 2 4.44%
Word Bearers 2 4.44%
Space Marines Battles 0 0%
Other (State which) 8 17.78%
Voters: 45. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 02:08 AM Thread Starter
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Default Best 40k Series of Black Library?

After a suggestion by Baron Spikey I decided to make this poll to answer a question floating around the Black Library boards and has been asked many times. Which is the best 40k series currently available?, there is a lot of series at the moment and many are considered to be the best by a majority vote or a minority vote, some are liked and some are disliked but many series have been put forward as the best by different people. If this thread gets enough votes I may make a fantasy version just so we can have completeness, but for now just 40k options are available.

My favourite series is the Word Bearers series by Anthony Reynolds. I was fortunate enough to get Dark Apostle and Dark Disciple before they became hard to find and thoroughly enjoyed them, and once Dark Creed was released I finished it on the very day I got it in the mail, I couldn't put it down and haven't done that with a book since. I enjoyed the characters and their relationships with each other, from Marduk and Burias's early camaraderie and later animosity, and Marduk and Kol Badar's barely contained hate for each other but their grudging respect for the other's skills was very interesting to follow, and later it showed that Kol Badar was the best ally Marduk had.

The Word Bearers had never really appeared in novels before this, and Anthony Reynolds did them justice, the Word Bearers rituals and their home base are described in visually stunning detail, the Infidus Diabolis is appropriately dark and foreboding to the reader, picturing it is quite enjoyable. The Word Bearers characterization as a Legion, how they act and how they make war was excellently done by Mr Reynolds and the acts of their religion and their chants are very cool, such as Marduk's flesh being covered in the tattooed scriptures of Lorgar and all the catechisms of hate and defilement that they speak as they slaughter the enemy are very well written.

My favourite was Burias, it was always great when he became Burias-Drak'shal, but by the third novel he had become whiny and despondent over not advancing in the Legion, and though it was good for the plot I found it annoying. Kol Badar is my favourite of the series now, followed by Marduk and then Burias.

From what Anthony Reynolds has said the series will continue in the future, and I look forward to seeing what the future holds for Marduk, now on the Dark Council, and perhaps one day he and Kol Badar will settle the score between them.

Ill say that if it had more books the Night Lords series would be my favourite, but with only one novel so far I don't think it counts as a full series yet. Though when Blood Reaver is released it will very likely take the place as my favourite 40k series over the Word Bearers, which will become my second favourite. But until then the Word Bearers remains my favourite full series.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Last edited by Lord of the Night; 12-28-10 at 02:11 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 02:22 AM

I have NEVER read anything from 40k, only the Horus Heresy. However I have only started the whole thing about 3 months ago now, on prospero burns and I think I will start going through the omnibuses I have been accumulating. So I will be keeping an eye on this thread so I have a good idea where to go next.

post #3 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 02:26 AM
Unforgiven

gally912's Flag is: USA

My vote is for the

HERO OF THE IMPERIUM

In the Grim Darkness of the Far Future, there is no Common Sense.

post #4 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 02:50 AM

I think you should make Eisenhorn and Ravanor the same option, I think they are both in the same series.

post #5 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 03:29 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Voted for my beloved Ghosts. Never read a series that has made me invest so much in the characters that when some are killed off i am truely shocked and feel it. For me the Ghosts are just impossible not to like, all of them (well apart from Meryn perhaps) are all highly unique, all bring a different viewpoint for the Regiment and are charasmatic and likeable in their very own ways. Favourite series ever across all fictions, with Sabbat Martyr being one of the finest books i've ever read.
post #6 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 04:22 AM

CursedUNTILLDEATH's Flag is: USA

Well... im torn between Word bearers, Ultras, and Soul Drinkers. After some thinking though im going to have to go with Ultras.

McNeil is by far my favorite 40k author, I find that unlike many BL books I actually give a shit about the character (and I dislike the Ultras, so that's saying allot). Dead sky, Black Sun was just epic as epic could be, and the killing ground was very emotional. I haven't read the last two books yet but I hope for greatness.

I loved the word bearers (Kol Badar is badass) but I can't really find myself routing for the bad guys, and the soul drinkers got a bit stale. Then again Imperial guard books were all quite good (Gun heads was the best) I just feel like they don't have any scale to them.

"If there is any primarch who should have never been found, its Lorgar. Why? Two words. Hours Hersey"
"It was a 1......why was it a 1!"
Yes, I do play orks, yes, I do have quite a few boys on the table, and yes, it does take me a while to move them...got a problem with that...
post #7 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 09:06 AM

My vote goes to the Tanith First and Only as well,a series so good it trancends the Black Library,and works perfectly well with no background knowledge of the 40k universe at all.

we fall to rise
post #8 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 09:35 AM

Chaosveteran's Flag is: Russia

Souldrinkers!!!

I love the way the book shows how fragile the Imperium really is and how easy for it is for something to throw it waaay out of balance. Rise and fall of a Chapter and, of course, the predetermined, prejudgemental Imperium that already condemns you no matter what (like the Inquisition in the Middle Ages)
post #9 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 10:00 AM

Eisenhorn. Nothing can contend with such badassery.
post #10 of 38 (permalink) Old 12-28-10, 11:09 AM

Baron Spikey's Flag is: United Kingdom

Gaunts Ghosts! The fact that I'm (and the characters themselves are) still heartbroken that
is dead speaks for exactly how much you invest and empathise with Abnett's creations.

It's been close to 10 books now since the character died but I still crack open the next GG novel hoping it's all been some silly misunderstanding and he'll be there laughing and joking with Larkin.

Last edited by Baron Spikey; 12-28-10 at 11:53 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode