Heretic's Vote: Best BL 40K Author? - Page 9 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

View Poll Results: Best BL 40K Author?
Aaron Dembski-Bowden 14 17.07%
Andy Hoare 0 0%
Anthony Reynolds 0 0%
Ben Counter 1 1.22%
Chris Roberson 0 0%
Dan Abnett 33 40.24%
Gav Thorpe 3 3.66%
Gordon Rennie 1 1.22%
Graham McNeill 17 20.73%
Henry Zou 0 0%
Ian Watson 1 1.22%
James Swallow 2 2.44%
Jonathan Green 0 0%
Matt Farrer 3 3.66%
Mike Lee 0 0%
Mitchel Scanlon 1 1.22%
Nick Kyme 1 1.22%
Richard Williams 0 0%
Rob Sanders 0 0%
Sandy Mitchell 3 3.66%
Steve Lyons 0 0%
Steve Parker 0 0%
William King 2 2.44%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 82. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #81 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 09:13 PM

World Eater XII's Flag is: United Kingdom

Hmm fair enough, in all truth i enjoyed the first book.

Second books was shite, the ending just left a bad taste in my mouth! The intro of the Blood gorgons was good shit though, they seem to rival the alpha legion with sneaky skills!

Hope the 3rd book does come out just so i can find out more!

Let the Galaxy Burn.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #82 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 09:54 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I haven't read Emperor's Mercy or Flesh and Iron, im more interested in Blood Gorgons because its Chaos Space Marines. If I like it though ill get the other two.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #83 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 10:23 PM

CursedUNTILLDEATH's Flag is: USA

Emps mercy was alright if you could get into it, though thier are some people that,as a inquisiter, that i would have killed almost as soon as they got in my way.
Flesh and iron was bleh. It was rather boring execpt for like 3 parts and feautred one of the biggest no-no's in writing.
Blood gorgans will either sink or swim, and if it sinks, then i wont really be to upset (im not getting my hopes up).

"If there is any primarch who should have never been found, its Lorgar. Why? Two words. Hours Hersey"
"It was a 1......why was it a 1!"
Yes, I do play orks, yes, I do have quite a few boys on the table, and yes, it does take me a while to move them...got a problem with that...

post #84 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 10:49 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by CursedUNTILLDEATH View Post
and feautred one of the biggest no-no's in writing.
Breaking the fourth wall, and doing it rather badly?

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #85 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-09-10, 11:56 PM Thread Starter

Brother Subtle's Flag is: Australia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenocide View Post
Take the Alpha Legion's twin Primarchs. I can't see how that change was necessary to the Legion's narrative, nor I can I see how it meshes with previously established background. Why would the Emperor make twins? If twins, then why not quintuplets? Why not a legion of Primarchs? Or if not the Emperor, then why would chaos ex machina produce twins? Why? Because it's the Daniverse and they have to be super-special and unique.
Ohhhhh, i was going to jump all over that. but it looks like the Baron and LotN beat me to it. Damn my stupid southern hemisphere timezone! You say previously established background on the Alpha legion was not meshed with, but until this Legion was written, the only cannon we had on the Alpha Legion and in particular its twin primarchs was sketchy details, rumours and hear say at best. And as the BL has said, the HH book overwrite all previous cannon.

post #86 of 86 (permalink) Old 09-13-10, 10:25 AM

Xenocide's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
And Dan Abnett did not come up with that, it was made long long ago in 40k lore writing.
Always grateful when the Old Night of my ignorance is illuminated

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
And as for Colonel-Commissar Gaunt, the Commissar part is very important when reading about Gaunt himself. If Gaunt were just a colonel he would be your typical nice guy officer, not common but not rare either, someone who cares about the troops he leads and wants the best for them and doesn't enjoy meting out punishments. Oh wait he's a Commissar as well?, but they aren't like that. Gaunt as a Commissar is unique because he is the mirror opposite of what Commissars are expected to be, trigger-happy executors. And that is one of the things that makes Gaunt unique, not his unique rank but because he isn't the kind of person people would expect to hold that rank.
QED. And his uniqueness is puerile hackery. I'll repeat, as it may be my last chance before the chitinous hordes of abnettids strip me of my biomass, special-shiny is hack writing. Commissar[sic] Gaunt -- he sparkles in daylight.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode