Black Library 40K Fiction - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 02-28-08, 10:33 PM Thread Starter

Tau2007's Flag is: USA

Default Black Library 40K Fiction

Hi all,
I just finished reading "Chapter War," the 4th book in the Soul Drinkers series by Ben Counter. I think he's fast become my favorite 40k author. Dan Abnett is very good, but I think the Soul Drinkers series ranks with the best of the Horus Heresy Novels (Counter of course being the author of one of the titles in the series -- "Galaxy in Flames").

What do others think of the Soul Drinkers series and Counter in particular, or Black Library fiction in general?

(I will say one negative thing -- Black Library and Forge World publications have the most atrociously bad proofreading I've ever seen. I'm not confusing British spelling with mistakes, either. They just have some near-unbelievable typos.)

Cheers,
Tau2007

Railguns: Str-10 + AP-1 = Life is Swell
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-08, 10:11 PM

Default cool

i recently finished reading those books well about 6 months ago but my favourite book has to be the last chancers by gav thope
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-17-08, 10:23 PM

Unknown Primarch's Flag is: United Kingdom

Im only into the novel side of 40k and find these such great books. had a few series that i couldnt get into i.e. Dawn of War and Grey Knight ones, but all the rest i love.
Gaunts Ghost has to be the best all rounder, Space Wolves (Ragnar) for me has been my best marines books but also the Ultramarines (Ventris) is a good series also. Cant wait for more of the roguetrader series (nice to see abit more Tau) really getting into that. Eisenhorn and Ravenor are a must for all readers and the Horus Heresy is a gift from the Emperor Himself. Dan Abnett is by far my favourite author, his Brothers of the Snake was decent too. I think there is plenty for everyone so just grap something and see how it goes.
Hell i wasnt even a GW fan before randomly picking up Space Wolf in the work library when i was bored and now i cant get enough so if anyone hasnt started reading 40k novels yet give it a go asap.

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-08, 12:12 AM
The Hammer of Olympia

BlackApostleVilhelm's Flag is: USA

i love the soul drinkers novels. i think it shows why many of the original legions turned agaisnt the emperor during the heresy, pride. anywho i think that the fluff and fiction from games workshop is unbelievably good especially the horus heresy fluff. i personally love what happens between fulgrim and ferrus manus. its such a tragedy how fulgrim falls so far from grace. also id like to hear some more things about lorgar and the pre-heresy word bearers.

i think that the soul drinkers mirror how the old legions must have been like

Here is the beginning of my fluff for my Iron Warriors Eighth Grand Company https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...ad.php?t=51842

"A fortress is a living thing: the commander its brain, the walls its bones, the sensors its eyes and ears, the troops its blood, their weapons its fists. This tells us two things: If one organ fails, the whole dies. And if the whole dies, no single organ can survive alone."

Last edited by Galahad; 05-18-08 at 02:36 AM.
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 05-18-08, 01:47 AM

Lord Khorne's Flag is: Australia

Black Library is great.

GW is the eternal circle.
It creates and destroys.
Inspires and demorilises.
Gives Birth and Murders.
That is Games Workshop.

Currently working on Guardians Of Pella Space Marine chapter

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode