Why do people hate Uriel Ventris? - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 01:23 PM Thread Starter

vipertaja's Flag is: Finland

Default Why do people hate Uriel Ventris?

So I saw the thread "why do people hate ultramarines" in the general 40k
section I think. Seeing it reminded me that I've read some people don't like
Uriel Ventris too much (even ultramarine fans). This is not some sort of bleeding
heart post or anything, I'm pretty neutral on Ventris, but I'm curious as to why.

I recall some people think he's a little too humane for a space marine (which
I might slightly agree on) and others think his accomplishments are too over the
top. Personally I've only read dead sky black sun so far due to following the
story of Honsou rather than Ventris...and to be honest, pulling off what he did
on Medrengard is a liiitle far fetched even though he didn't really do too much in
the end.

So, share your thoughts!
(Share them! )
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 01:27 PM

World Eater XII's Flag is: United Kingdom

I think hes pretty badass, but i couldnt imagine any space mahreen being all buddy buddy with a group of mutants.

Let the Galaxy Burn.
post #3 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 01:40 PM
Bane of Empires

Child-of-the-Emperor's Flag is: United Kingdom

In fact he is a strong example of why some many people dislike the Ultramarines, that whole winning against impossible odds thing!

He turns up on Medrengard, a world which has been fortified by the Iron Warriors without being hindered by the laws of physics, this is literally the perfect fortress. And basically screws with Honsou... seriously?!

And thats aside from the fact this is in the Eye of Terror - and he would have probably gone insane fairly quickly.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cegorach View Post
I do love how we don't even need CotE to comment anymore, chances are he has already said something intelligent before that can be re-applied to the current situation.
Heresy's Background FAQ. (Fluff Project)
CotE Reviews: Prospero Burns (HH Review), Age of Darkness (HH Review).

post #4 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 02:01 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Child-of-the-Emperor View Post
In fact he is a strong example of why some many people dislike the Ultramarines, that whole winning against impossible odds thing!

He turns up on Medrengard, a world which has been fortified by the Iron Warriors without being hindered by the laws of physics, this is literally the perfect fortress. And basically screws with Honsou... seriously?!

And thats aside from the fact this is in the Eye of Terror - and he would have probably gone insane fairly quickly.
Yeah...the only other loyalist space marine party I've read that went to the eye of terror is in Bloodquest...and if you've read it you know how that turns out...and even that was pretty impressive I think, but not as implausible. (haven't read hammer of daemons yet)

I do think the eye of terror is a place loyalist space marines have no business in and survivors might end up like Ardaric Vaanes. (though how his gang ended up on Merdrengard specifically I don't understand)

Last edited by vipertaja; 03-23-10 at 02:07 PM.
post #5 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 02:11 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

I like Ventris, and Pasanius. In fact they are the only Ultramarines that I do like, the rest are codex-adhering idiots.

Ill admit surviving on Medrengard was quite a stretch but not all Space Marines would go insane from the Eye of Terror, it takes courage and skill but some can survive with their purity intact.

And actually one other party did go to the Eye of Terror, albeit unwillingly. Justicar Alaric and Brother Haulvarn were taken by Khornate warriors to Draakasi and Alaric got out of there, Haulvarn sadly did not.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #6 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 02:32 PM

He's an ultrasmurf, and therefore sucks major ass.

However, the reason I don't like him is because I like Honsou (a massively awesome and superior character in every single way possible), and he fucked Honsou.

Hopefully Honsou will catch him and stab things into his face.

All of this has happened before.
post #7 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 02:35 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
I like Ventris, and Pasanius. In fact they are the only Ultramarines that I do like, the rest are codex-adhering idiots.

Ill admit surviving on Medrengard was quite a stretch but not all Space Marines would go insane from the Eye of Terror, it takes courage and skill but some can survive with their purity intact.

And actually one other party did go to the Eye of Terror, albeit unwillingly. Justicar Alaric and Brother Haulvarn were taken by Khornate warriors to Draakasi and Alaric got out of there, Haulvarn sadly did not.
Corage and skill is a bit of an understatement for survivng a lovecraftian hellhole. I do think a VERY strongminded and tough space marine could survive a short visit with their mind SOMEWHAT intact, but for a loyalist going to the eye of terror is pretty much a death sentence in my opinion.

The worst thing about the eye of terror is being stranded there....in that respect Ventris got very lucky with the...er..."soultrain".
post #8 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 02:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Real Sanguinius View Post
He's an ultrasmurf, and therefore sucks major ass.

However, the reason I don't like him is because I like Honsou (a massively awesome and superior character in every single way possible), and he fucked Honsou.

Hopefully Honsou will catch him and stab things into his face.
I too like Honsou...he's such an arrogant prick, but that's why I like him.
post #9 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 02:45 PM

He is just the right blend of vindictive and sadistic.

All of this has happened before.
post #10 of 74 (permalink) Old 03-23-10, 02:51 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Yeah Honsou is the king of the Iron Warriors. He never gives up, and refuses to believe anything is beyond him. Plus he isn't afraid to show disrespect, like when he spits on Toramino and insults Berossus.

Honsou and Ventris will have a reckoning in The Chapter's Due but I dont think it'll be the end for them. Honsou and Ventris are too great to die.

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode