Best/Worst Warhammer 40k Book... - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 12:14 AM Thread Starter

Warlock in Training's Flag is: USA

Default Best/Worst Warhammer 40k Book...

I want to know what BL book that made you just go "Wow, what a @$#%ing awsome book."

I have a few 40k favs, Soul Drinkers being very good, and Fulgrim too. But in the end Storm of Iron takes it for me for 40k books. The only other BL book that comes close to that is Nagash the Sorceror.

When it comes to worst I have to say alot of IG in general, I dislike Daemon World as a 40k Novel. It was a more WFB with the few Chaos Marines here and there.

So what says you?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 12:34 AM

Evil beaver2's Flag is: USA

I thought the Horus Heresy book Legion was really good.
I also would put Storm of Iron right up there, but i didnt like Fulgrim.
post #3 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 10:51 AM

Sethis's Flag is: United Kingdom

Any/All of the Gaunt's Ghosts series would top as my favourite.

I have to say I severely dislike the Inquisitor Jaq series by Ian Watson... The characters are aggravatingly pointless, he says things that are catagorically untrue according to basic 40k canon (such as dozens of years occuring in "real" space while his voyages through the Warp take only weeks) and I really find it bloody hard to believe that there's an Inquisitor called "Jack" who can sneak all the way through the Imperial Palace on Terra and actually get right up to the Emperors face without anyone noticing. Yeah, right.

In all fairness, he was one of the first authors to make a foray into 40k, but it's still rather bad.

90% of people think they are above average.

Statistically Improbable. Psychologically Inevitable.

post #4 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 11:19 AM

The Sullen One's Flag is: United Kingdom

The best are generally by Dan Abnett or Graham McNeil, though James Swallow is pretty decent.

One I really liked is Emperor's Mercy by Henry Zou, pure action!

As for the worst, thats easy. Space Hulk. 125 pages of the worst kind of cheesy shitty dialogue ridden dreckfest. Fortunately a mate lent it to me so I didn't have to pay anything.
post #5 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 11:39 AM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

i've never read any BL before, and i've just rented Eldar Prophecy.

What kind of ride am I in for?

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #6 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 12:38 PM

jams's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by Varakir View Post
Eldar Prophecy.

What kind of ride am I in for?
just take it back now and save yourself the effort. it is complete and utter cack

Follow my online ramblings:
Blog: http://crucible-of-fate.blogspot.co.uk/
Twitter: @geochimp
post #7 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-28-10, 01:48 PM

Varakir's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by jams View Post
just take it back now and save yourself the effort. it is complete and utter cack
Bah. All they seem to have in my library are terrible 40k books.

Guess i'll hold out for some heresy stuff.

My Salamander Logs & Army Showcase:
The Ashbringers 3rd co. ::: Into the fires of Battle:::Army Showcase

Currently Painting:

Landraider Redeemer
post #8 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-29-10, 01:41 AM
Jeep's and Harley's

OIIIIIIO's Flag is: USA

The first 40K novel I read was the Blood Ravens Omnibus ... Just got into 40k about 4 Months ago. When I read the book I was thinking "This book is frigging awesome!" I mean I started reading it on the plane ride to Mexico, our honeymoon, and I could not put it down. The 40K universe is so friggin cool. I finished that book and thought I should read others ... I love my blood Ravens and that is what chapter I play. After reading other books though ... I almost feel like throwing rocks ... scratch that, FRIGGIN BOULDERS at Mr Gotohell. I read the two Space Wolf omnibus books and was floored. I am reading the Souldrinkers omnibus right now and have come to find out that other writers CAN keep in-line with the edicts that the Space marines are to follow.
post #9 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-29-10, 02:53 AM

Daneel2.0's Flag is: USA

I haven't read any of the Omnibus's yet, but the Gaunt's Ghosts series was pretty good. Just finished with Hellforged though and was severely disappointed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jesse View Post
[Necrons]shoot, shoot, teleport, shoot. win
post #10 of 61 (permalink) Old 01-29-10, 07:36 AM

MJayC50's Flag is: United Kingdom

blimey you guys need to read more! i think i have read every black library book published. i will give you a top and bottom 3

bottom 3

Bad - Pawn of chaos (waited ages for the book to start and get good, found the back cover before either had apparently happened...)
worse - battle of the abyss (cheesy, bollocks. even in the far future i found it hard to believe any of it. This book was written for the annoying 14 year olds who say 'blam' to much).
worse still - emperor's mercy (dont think he did his 40k homework welll enough)

Great - Only in death - the ultimate guants ghosts book. this has everything you love and thunders along and is literally impossible to put down - i have read it about 4 times. its just a perfect 40k novel

great - legion - first major surprise from the heresy and some actual cool fluff. abnett tackled some very difficult issues and races and points and did it all brilliantly. if anyone else would have tried something like this, they wouldnt have been able to flesh it out well enough. i loved this book for so many reasons. probably everything you hate about it, i adore.

Greatest - Eisenhorn Trilogy - Dan abnett top 3! lol - love the whole thing. his slow slip to chaos and his fight to keep his soul. great support characters. great baddies and how the hell does he come up with this stuff? i think dan drew alot from his steampunk comics i guess - he made a social world where before there had only been war...

As for the statement that hes a pussy in close combat... ignore that. He shreds things. Nothing with Str 10, 5 attacks that ignore invunerable saves should be called a pussy. - JackalMJ

*** Oxford Gaming Club Blog ***

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode