The Eye of Medusa by David Guymer - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-17, 10:35 AM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Default The Eye of Medusa by David Guymer

Black Library - Eye of Medusa (eBook)

The Eye of Medusa

An Iron Hands novel
When the Adeptus Mechanicus world of Thennos falls into insurrection, the Iron Hands bring retribution upon the traitors. But the taint on the world threatens to destroy the purity of the machine and introduce something dark to the Iron Hands' universe…

READ IT BECAUSE
Themes of the duality between machine and man are at the heart of the Iron Hands, and David Guymer uses a world of the Adeptus Mechanicus that has fallen into heresy as the catalyst for exploring that fascinating battle for the soul of the Chapter.

THE STORY
Ever since the dark days of the Great Heresy, the Iron Hands have a long and tortured history. Their years of suffering and war has left them hardened and believing in a brutal tenet – the flesh is weak. Heavily cybernetic, their flesh extensively altered, these warriors of the Imperium are more machine than man, cold in aspect as well as demeanour. Their methods of recruitment are harsh, their rituals arcane, their pride unshakable. So when a world under the protection of the Chapter falls foul of insurrection, the Iron Hands answer with fire and cold retribution. It matters not that Thennos is considered sovereign territory of the Adeptus Mechanicus, for the Iron Hands' campaign is one of extermination. But there is something dark lurking within Thennos, a horror that defies the purity of cold logic and the machine, and offers something more, something ruinous...

Written by David Guymer

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Finished the Eye of Medusa last night. One of the truly best Iron Hands reads in a long time. The novel -seriously- fleshes out the Iron Hands and is very much able to give them character unlike many past novels that just makes them seem like dull automatons. I daresay that the novel is so important to the understanding of the Iron Hands that it should be a truly core novel for them, in the same way Dante managed it for the Blood Angels, and that is high praise.

Plus I find its quite respectful of past IH works, threading to it or foreshadowing it. You will be able to recognize quite a lot of names.

The novel itself is the set in the early parts of M40 and involving the beginning of the Kristoffian scism within the Iron Hands and the rise of Kardan Stronos, having just transfered clans as a sergeant. Theres clearly more books comming in this series, and if he can keep up this quality, ill nab them instantly.

Overall I rate the book as 8.5, and it was a real page turner, I read it in one sitting. Very hard to put down. Id have given it 9.0, but the last third of the book felt a little muddled. Could probably have benefitted from an additional hundred pages. But eh, its just a slight problem, its still a -VERY- good read and a suprise hit to me. David Guymer has really nailed the Iron Hands and shows he have researched them properly.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-20-17, 06:10 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Sounds damn good, i'll be grabbing my copy next Saturday once it's in stores.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-21-17, 05:21 PM Thread Starter

Heres a teaser to garner a bit more interest in the book.

The Iron Hands have an entirely new unit, The Helfathers, whom are the guardians of the Iron Council.

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-30-17, 09:42 PM Thread Starter

Anyone read this yet? Havent heard a peep for quite a while.
post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-31-17, 08:48 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

It's on my list but i'm trying to make the 40k stuff I have last, so it'll be two or three books later before I start this one.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-17, 05:22 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
The Iron Hands have an entirely new unit, The Helfathers, whom are the guardians of the Iron Council.

Finished this last night and i'll post a review soon, but I wanted to weigh in on this part. Heavy spoilers below!

Phenomenal book, really fleshed the Iron Hands out in a way they deserved.

LotN

post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 06-18-17, 05:40 PM Thread Starter

Good to see your words on it, this book really needs more attention. Kind of been overlooked with all the focus on Dark Imperium.

I am looking forward to see your detailed review when you get to it.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in