HH 36 - The Path of Heaven by Chris Wraight is available - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-29-16, 12:15 AM
Mob

This was a good book. There was a heck of a lot going on, but it was all resolved satisfactorily. A small bit of course-correction for some things as well. Maybe one slightly superfluous plot element, but it did give some screen time that some people will probably appreciate. I think fans of most of the legions represented will be happy enough with what goes on.
I need more of my man
, stat.

I skimmed a lot of the generic fighting tbh, sometimes the scale of legion combats can be a bit wearing; yeah, you have to show loads of guys and things fighting and blowing up because of the setting, but I personally find that slightly tedious with a new book when you just want to get to the character moments in those battles. Sure I will appreciate it on re-reads. And there are cool bits in the fighting, it's not bolter-slog, I should hasten to add.

But it's a character and plot-movement book. Central to the wider story, this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-29-16, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Well its certainly a tradition that have been kept in the white scars since the horus heresy.

Yeah...and another guy called Jubal is the current Chapter Master
post #33 of 37 (permalink) Old 04-29-16, 10:22 AM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Space marines loves taking the names of ancient heroes in their chapter, no real suprise.

post #34 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-01-16, 02:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mob View Post
This was a good book. There was a heck of a lot going on, but it was all resolved satisfactorily. A small bit of course-correction for some things as well. Maybe one slightly superfluous plot element, but it did give some screen time that some people will probably appreciate. I think fans of most of the legions represented will be happy enough with what goes on.
I need more of my man
, stat.

I skimmed a lot of the generic fighting tbh, sometimes the scale of legion combats can be a bit wearing; yeah, you have to show loads of guys and things fighting and blowing up because of the setting, but I personally find that slightly tedious with a new book when you just want to get to the character moments in those battles. Sure I will appreciate it on re-reads. And there are cool bits in the fighting, it's not bolter-slog, I should hasten to add.

But it's a character and plot-movement book. Central to the wider story, this.

The action, fleet movements etc. are dense in this one

Not gratuitous but potentially confusing at times. I prefer character moments
post #35 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-10-16, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
The action, fleet movements etc. are dense in this one

Not gratuitous but potentially confusing at times. I prefer character moments
They are great indeed
post #36 of 37 (permalink) Old 05-22-16, 09:36 PM

Kharn The Complainer's Flag is: Former Soviet Union

Anyone who doesn't agree that the Khan's fight against...

...is totally badass...well, you're just WRONG.

I have always enjoyed reading about most of the Primarchs, but after reading this novel, the Khan has taken first prize in being awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post

Scars is one of the best legion-building HH novels...perhaps not one of the best character-building novels. I think Yesugai has a lot of room for further development.

Quote:
That said, I think Qin Xa definitely deserves some more development. He's mentioned as the #1 fighter of his legion (even though Jubal seems to be more well-known outside his legion). We didn't get to see his personality in Scars
This is part of a conversation we had in another thread. Well...need I say more? :-(

Last edited by Kharn The Complainer; 05-22-16 at 09:44 PM.
post #37 of 37 (permalink) Old 01-05-17, 10:08 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

I thought it was a great read and worthy sequel to Scars. My only problem is that not many of the characters get a lot of room to be fleshed out, like for instance the master of Keshig is killed in the first scene he appears in and he was a big character in the previous story. Overall a lot seems to have happened between those novels were several characters are killed off off-screen as well. Bringing back Mortarion was both good and bad, as it felt like a repeat of the previous novel up until the moment when the Khan chooses not to fight him, which I felt was nice departuere. Mortarion was fleshed out more though, particularly in his scene with another certain Primarch. His motivations and driving force was spelled out unlike before.

The characters which stole the show was definitely the EC-characters. I listened to Soul, Severed not long after finishing the novel and I felt it was a shame that Chris Wraight didn't get to write a novella following that of The Path of Heaven where there is fighting of who is to control the Legion following that of Fulgrims ascension. It would have been much better than a short audio drama.

But now the Scars are on Terra as they should be, so the novel served it's purpose. Now we only await the BA and we're ready for the Siege.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode