ADB and the Horus Heresy - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-23-16, 07:33 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
FtT missed A LOT of points and to be honest is the worst novels in the series to date. Only some of Nick Kymes Salamanders are worse, but even Vulkan Lives was better IMO.
What about Battle for the Abyss? A book that essentially just plays on poor stereotypes of the various marines it uses and adds nothing to the series (beyond introducing us to Lorgar's super ship that he see's as better than his current super ship.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gabriel Chase View Post
This will undoubtedly kill all credibility I may have earned, but I actually gave Ultramarine an 'it's half-decent' review on Amazon...
With some yes, you likely have, but Ultramarine does have its merits at times. Its just that they are far and few and easily clouded by the awful stuff. (I mean sure a power sword will slice through power armour with relative ease but a chainsword is nothing to ignore either. Theres a reason it was not abandoned en mass during the Great Crusade era in favour of power weapons.)

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 44 (permalink) Old 01-25-16, 09:46 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
What about Battle for the Abyss? A book that essentially just plays on poor stereotypes of the various marines it uses and adds nothing to the series (beyond introducing us to Lorgar's super ship that he see's as better than his current super ship.
Yes that book is awful too to the same degree, but it doesn't affect anything. Like sure there is some small references to it here and then, but if I were to not read it, I wouldn't have missed anything. Like if I don't read KNF, there will be major WTFs in several stories after that. Or if I didn't listen to Garro - Legion of One, Vengeful Spirit would deliver a chocking twist. FTT was a novel about a very popular Legion and later Chapter, in a very interesting part in the Heresy that could have been awesome if handled right.
post #33 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-16, 05:36 AM

Dark Apostle Marduk's Flag is: Germany

I don't know if this post is about sharing our opinions of ADB in the HH series, but I will mention that he isn't my favorite author, as his stories are kind of redundant and aren't super unique. I mean, he has good work, and I have bought a few of his novels, but I think he could do better.

While I agree with some of what the OP says, I wont brown nose by any means. So I will say that thought I enjoyed the Night Lords novels, I think they could have been written better by someone else that I will not mention. However, I cannot cast blame on him alone... his editors did an absolutely shizt job.

Last edited by Dark Apostle Marduk; 02-05-16 at 05:38 AM.

post #34 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-16, 06:23 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Wow, rare to see such a negative opinion of ADB, each to their own though. How do you mean redundant though?
post #35 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-16, 06:40 AM

I've noticed some of the same kind of story development throughout most of his books.

It's not a huge deal, and I'm not saying he's a horrible author... but when you come from a fantasy book background, where the development is much more in depth... it can kind of irritating noticing the smallest things. (Also, not Warhammer fantasy... more like Dragonlance and Magic the Gathering... some others also.) I do like some of his work. I really enjoyed the Emperor's Gift. I think that might have been his best book. In my opinion that is. The Night Lords novels, on the other hand, were a travesty. Again, I think if he had a different editor, it would have been a bit better... I implore you to re-read the novels, and tell me how many grammatical errors you see. I know it's kind of a strange thing to hear from a German guy with little knowledge in the English language, but when I spend money on a book and read it... I expect it to make sense... well as much as possible. That's not really the only reason... again, I don't mean to sling mud, but just some opinionated thoughts on the story itself I would have changed.

Please forgive me, I am using a translator for a lot of what I am writing, so if something doesn't make sense please let me know so I can fix it.

post #36 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-16, 03:39 PM

Nothing wrong with having a different opinion to other people.

Perhaps you could point out the grammatical errors you found? Page numbers for example?
post #37 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-05-16, 04:25 PM
Senior Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Wow, rare to see such a negative opinion of ADB, each to their own though.
There was actually a member on here that did a negative review of Soul Hunter back when it was a relatively new title. Sadly there was a member of the staff who didn't take to kindly to someone expressing an honest and negative opinion about ADB's work, and promptly had the thread deleted and may have banned the member.

It didn't go over to well, I can tell you that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Apostle Marduk View Post
The Night Lords novels, on the other hand, were a travesty.
While I personally won't go so far as to agree with the travesty comment, I will say I enjoyed the series less and less as it went on. Soul Hunter was good, in my opinion, but I thought Blood Reaver had to many coincidences and certain characters making changes that seemed off. Void Stalker was the least appealing to me, but I think a large part of that came down to certain revelations from the previous book (the war sage, to keep things simple and spoiler free) and Talos in regards to what kind of leader or leader-like figure he is.

Damnation is paved on good intentions; subtle and sugar coated or blunt and honest
A hero is someone who steps up when everyone else backs down.
Popularity is what people strive for when they lack the strength to be themselves.

Seriously, is it really that hard to write reviews without spoilers?

Reporting Posts - read this
post #38 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-06-16, 06:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkreever View Post
While I personally won't go so far as to agree with the travesty comment, I will say I enjoyed the series less and less as it went on. Soul Hunter was good, in my opinion, but I thought Blood Reaver had to many coincidences and certain characters making changes that seemed off. Void Stalker was the least appealing to me, but I think a large part of that came down to certain revelations from the previous book (the war sage, to keep things simple and spoiler free) and Talos in regards to what kind of leader or leader-like figure he is.

Forgive me, for lack of a better term. I agree with you here and I think you put it best. I have a bad habbit of saying that the whole set is bad when, in reality, I enjoyed one or so and disliked the others.

You put it exactly how I was thinking, but could not think of the words. hah. Thank you, sir.

post #39 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-06-16, 07:45 AM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I'll agree it got worse as it went on. The war sage areas in particular. But not to awful levels anyway.

The Emperors Gift is also probably my favourite novel of his. Betrayer is another close one, minus a few niggles hear and there. The First Heretic however, I like in some areas, but overall don't enjoy despite popular opinion. It might just be from how little I like the Word Bearers and Pre-Istvaan Lorgar in general, it's no co-incidence that the parts I enjoyed most were those that involved the Custodes and Corax.
post #40 of 44 (permalink) Old 02-06-16, 08:04 AM

I think it is absolutely right and proper to have different opinions. The world would be a very boring place if we all liked exactly the same thing.

For me Abnett is by far the best author BL have ever had writing for them. However, even he has his faults, mostly rushed conclusions. Many of Abnetts books read as though they need another 100 pages as the first three quarters are always so rich with world building, character building and sub plot set up. Then bang, it is as if he remembers his contract to deliver a book of a certain length (or a deadline for another publisher is looming) and he appears to condense or rush the endings. Not always but often IMHO. However, his books still rock.

ADB is for me the second best author in the BL stable with the most potential for greater things. I am hard pressed to actually identify his actual flaws but it is more a feeling that he is on the edge of greatness but not there yet. But in no means a bad author...a very good and strong author. I would agree with what others said above, the Night Lords series was less good with each subsequent book...Soul Hunter was awesome.

Third place really does keep changing hands for me. It used to be firmly Graham McNeil but he really is hit and miss. When he hits he is fab but the misses are pretty marked! John French is up there too and it is about time he got a full length HH novel (though if you make Tallarn an omnibus then he already has). Matthew Farrer would also be in third spot for me but alas BL do not commission him anymore (although one day we might possibly see Urdesh). Rob Sanders is also pretty solid but as I HATED Atlas Infernal (like really really hated) he drops down.

Last edited by Duke_Leto; 02-06-16 at 08:06 AM.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode