The Beast Arises schedule blog - Page 22 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

3Likes

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #211 of 238 (permalink) Old 09-28-16, 04:46 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Speculation...

I think dreadknights are a more recent addition to the GK armoury. IIRC they are based on Tau
technology, who, at the time of the beast, were still living in caves.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #212 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-08-16, 11:13 AM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

The penultimate book is available, Shadow of Ullanor
Black Library & Warhammer Digital - Shadow of Ullanor eBook

After two failed attempts to annihiliate the orks, and the deaths of countless heroes, the Imperium may finally have a solution. But to win the war will take unthinkable sacrifice…
READ IT BECAUSE
It's the penultimate instalment in The Beast Arises series and the stakes couldn't be higher… We'd love to say more, but it might spoil the massive events that have happened so far, and those still to come! Just read it and see for yourself.

I am twitching to get sunk into this one..
post #213 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-08-16, 12:40 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Just finished Echoes of the Long War. While the whole dynamic between the Fists Exemplar and IWs was a bit too easy and convenient, it was pretty good.

post #214 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-08-16, 01:25 PM

Quote:
The penultimate book is available, Shadow of Ullanor
Black Library & Warhammer Digital - Shadow of Ullanor eBook

After two failed attempts to annihiliate the orks, and the deaths of countless heroes, the Imperium may finally have a solution. But to win the war will take unthinkable sacrifice…
READ IT BECAUSE
It's the penultimate instalment in The Beast Arises series and the stakes couldn't be higher… We'd love to say more, but it might spoil the massive events that have happened so far, and those still to come! Just read it and see for yourself.

I am twitching to get sunk into this one..

Me too, sounds very inviting! I will put corax aside for a day or two.

Have to say I'm getting excited about the prospect of another monthly series after the beast. I think they have been pretty clear this has been a success.
post #215 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-08-16, 06:42 PM Thread Starter

Finished it, a great read even if it could have benefitted from more pages on Ullanor itself and the ending proper. Seemed a little rushed. But a lot of loose ends has been tied up, but several questions remains unanswered and I doubt the final book will provide much if any for those. Plus a big red herring, I really had expected to see them, but guess they were too busy.

Last edited by Brother Lucian; 10-08-16 at 06:51 PM.
post #216 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-11-16, 12:55 AM Thread Starter

Caught an interesting comment over on B&C:

judging from what Goulding has said elsewhere (namely thefirstexpedition) TBA went through some rewrites within the last month to a year - originally the conception of the series was going to have a DAoT link, where humanity attempts to use the Men of Iron to defeat the Beast. I think that got booted in favor of the impending DW release.

Yeah, I can see that. You really had an old tech vibe in The Beast must die. Unusually clean and straight rooms filled with what looked like old technology in the beast's lair. But then they hamfisted in the deathwatch and had their founding tied to the TBA saga, and by proxy, the Beast went from being a scheming gothic speaking mastermind threatening to roll the human empire completely, to just a grunting oversized ork warboss.

The high point of the series was definitely the beast must die imho.
post #217 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-11-16, 09:42 AM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Caught an interesting comment over on B&C:

judging from what Goulding has said elsewhere (namely thefirstexpedition) TBA went through some rewrites within the last month to a year - originally the conception of the series was going to have a DAoT link, where humanity attempts to use the Men of Iron to defeat the Beast. I think that got booted in favor of the impending DW release.
That's a real disappointment if true. The Men of Iron would have been FAAAR more interesting to read about than the Deathwatch. This is why BL and GW need to separate themselves more, which hopefully is still happening in the future with the establishment of Warhammer Publishing, the releases shouldn't dictate what happens in a primary multi-book series like The Beast Arises. I can understand and embrace the Legends of the Dark Millennium series because that series is ultimately about introducing newbies to the universe while highlighting all the relevant, i.e tabletop, aspects of the factions. It works because those books are all about that and we don't expect anything else.

But to alter a series like TBA in favour of a release is not a good move. And it shows with Watchers in Death being the weakest of the series bar Throneworld, and Throneworld only takes the weakest in show entry for me because of the Custodes vs Harlequins atrocity.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #218 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-11-16, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord of the Night View Post
That's a real disappointment if true. The Men of Iron would have been FAAAR more interesting to read about than the Deathwatch. This is why BL and GW need to separate themselves more, which hopefully is still happening in the future with the establishment of Warhammer Publishing, the releases shouldn't dictate what happens in a primary multi-book series like The Beast Arises. I can understand and embrace the Legends of the Dark Millennium series because that series is ultimately about introducing newbies to the universe while highlighting all the relevant, i.e tabletop, aspects of the factions. It works because those books are all about that and we don't expect anything else.

But to alter a series like TBA in favour of a release is not a good move. And it shows with Watchers in Death being the weakest of the series bar Throneworld, and Throneworld only takes the weakest in show entry for me because of the Custodes vs Harlequins atrocity.

LotN
Yeah, felt pretty obvious when watchers in death was timed to come out with the deathwatch release.
post #219 of 238 (permalink) Old 10-21-16, 11:39 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Overal, really liked Shadow of Ulanor, altho it felt like they tried to jam way more content into the book than the page count allowed and thus it felt like a lot of things very quickly glossed over and it felt like it jumped forward a lot.

Quote:
originally the conception of the series was going to have a DAoT link, where humanity attempts to use the Men of Iron to defeat the Beast. I think that got booted in favor of the impending DW release
Explains why they felt so hamfisted, rushed and forced in... So much potential lost. GW really needs to let BL runs its own course and not be tied up as just an advertising division for the miniatures.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know

Last edited by Doelago; 10-21-16 at 11:42 PM.
post #220 of 238 (permalink) Old 11-02-16, 03:37 AM

Now that is what you call an anticlimax. The 2nd last book in the series was so rushed, it's blatantly obvious. Total disappointment.

Now about The Beheading, I really hope BL doesn't mess this one up. This is the one ive been waiting to read.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode