Warhammer 40k Forum and Wargaming Forums banner

Wolf King

16K views 78 replies 30 participants last post by  Euphrati 
#1 · (Edited)
Ok, this is the first time any of the BL hardback books has stirred my trouser area. Looks fairly substantial as well.

See less See more
#10 ·
It is definitely Chris Wraight. It has been years since they were about, but there were rumours about him writing the infamous Battle of Alaxxes.

LotN

#13 ·
Leman Russ returns in a brand new saga that focuses on the Space Wolves' battle with the Alpha Legion, following on from the events of Scars.

Right from the email blast that just went out. Blabber im seeing, is saying its another LE novella. So probably on par with the second Tallarn novella in size.

#27 ·
Vengeful Spirit would have so much better (and a more appropriate length) had that whole silent war Garro sub plot simply been axed. It just didn't sit comfortably for me. How is it on the one hand nobody knows what is going on or where the traitors are or what worlds or armies have joined Horus etc and yet on the other hand Garro and his merry men seem to be able to travel around with impunity and make sure they are in the right place? Or did I miss the sensible explanation of that?

#29 ·
I know this is off-topic, but... Fear to Tread may rightly have some redeeming qualities, but the bottom line in my opinion is that it wasn't ''good enough.'' Not by a considerable margin to be frankly honest.

If there are enough Fear to Tread supporters on this board I'd be happy to host a structured debate. It is definitely one of the most divisive novels of the Horus Heresy, especially now the Prospero Burns controversy has died down.

I understand the quality of literature is subjective and all that jazz, but I believe this novel can be slammed with crushing, almost irrefutable criticisms. And, hey, you never know, there may be some positives several of us have missed.

#32 ·
If there are enough Fear to Tread supporters on this board I'd be happy to host a structured debate. It is definitely one of the most divisive novels of the Horus Heresy, especially now the Prospero Burns controversy has died down.
I dont know about enough supporters, but personally I only have a few issues with the book to be perfectly honest

#36 ·
I felt that the Signus setting had such enormous potential, Swallow should have done a LOT more with it, my disappointment with FTT is mainly the missed potential. Image ADB having a swing at it, I felt the BA were portayed as standard SM, but with red paint and anger issues, nothing more

#41 ·
As Vaz said a while ago, the Alpha Legion have a growing reputation of trolling other Legions for no better reason than, ''AL, lol.'' They do feel invincible to a degree, I agree.

I don't think the Space Wolves are wanked as such, but I feel that perhaps some authors struggle to portray them. Being the Emperor's Executioners doesn't necessarily mean they're better, or stronger than other Legions. Just tenacious and ferocious and savage as fuck, like a wolf stalking its prey. There's a subtle difference.

#42 ·
At the end of the day, I honestly don't have a problem with what Alpha Legion has been shown to do. I don't think it comes down to an outright statement of unreasonable superiority on the part of the writers. The Legiones Astartes, for the most part, are a force that focuses on shock assault. They are an overt force that demolishes and annihilates whatever is put in front of them.

There are a few exceptions, to be sure. The Night Lords, for instance, are more likely to focus on terror operations, psychological warfare, and tactics that allow a collection of selfish, vicious criminals survive. The Raven Guard certainly employ stealth and heavily rely covert infiltration for their operations.

The Alpha Legion aren't so much better than the other Legions than that they simply chose to play a different game altogether. They succeed against their brother Legions not because they are necessarily stronger, faster, smarter, or whatever. They simply employ different tactics - ones that the other Legiones Astartes find distasteful and - this is important - unnecessary given all the firepower they can bring to bear.

Put it this way. Most Space Marines are a seven-foot-tall mix of Bruce Lee, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Usain Bolt, and Audie Murphy. If, one day, one of them opens the bulkhead to their quarters and gets sucked into the vacuum of space, does that mean the Alpha Legion are better warriors? Or does it simply indicate that they didn't expect someone they considered their ally to sneak aboard their battle-barge and cut a hole in the hull?

And once he does realize that the Alpha Legion are enemies, does the Space Marine's inability to counter their machinations indicate he is inferior in terms of martial prowess or intelligence to them? Or does it simply indicate that the Alpha Legion are far more experienced at this sort of thing, that the Space Marine is reacting (always a bad thing), and that there are a lot of things (like, a galaxy-wide war) distracting him from anticipating all sorts of devious espionage and sabotage?

#44 ·
If side B can't counter side A's tactics...but side A can counter side B's tactics...yes, I would say side A is superior to side B...at least vis-a-vis each other.

What you're saying is that side A is superior because it has more practice at and a greater talent for superior tactics other legions are unable to counter.

#43 ·
This hurts me more than I can properly articulate using any of the languages of mankind, but.......

(Fuck my Space Wolf fanboy tendencies)

#48 ·
Mmmmm . . . other than the direction/angle of that sword swing which is both goofy and awkward.

#53 ·
#51 · (Edited)
The Wolf King is back in action. Chris Wraight continues the saga of Leman Russ in a new novella, and for the first time, it's available simultaneously in Limited Edition and eBook formats. Choose either the lavish hardback or the digital download and join the battle on Friday 2nd October.

Looks like they are doing away with the 1 or 2 year exclusivity on LE releases, and giving the ebook asap.

#56 ·
Hmm, I bet they have their little miner lights on their hats and they're going spelunking.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.