Wolf King - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 05:55 AM
bobss's Flag is: England

As Vaz said a while ago, the Alpha Legion have a growing reputation of trolling other Legions for no better reason than, ''AL, lol.'' They do feel invincible to a degree, I agree.

I don't think the Space Wolves are wanked as such, but I feel that perhaps some authors struggle to portray them. Being the Emperor's Executioners doesn't necessarily mean they're better, or stronger than other Legions. Just tenacious and ferocious and savage as fuck, like a wolf stalking its prey. There's a subtle difference.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 06:45 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

At the end of the day, I honestly don't have a problem with what Alpha Legion has been shown to do. I don't think it comes down to an outright statement of unreasonable superiority on the part of the writers. The Legiones Astartes, for the most part, are a force that focuses on shock assault. They are an overt force that demolishes and annihilates whatever is put in front of them.

There are a few exceptions, to be sure. The Night Lords, for instance, are more likely to focus on terror operations, psychological warfare, and tactics that allow a collection of selfish, vicious criminals survive. The Raven Guard certainly employ stealth and heavily rely covert infiltration for their operations.

The Alpha Legion aren't so much better than the other Legions than that they simply chose to play a different game altogether. They succeed against their brother Legions not because they are necessarily stronger, faster, smarter, or whatever. They simply employ different tactics - ones that the other Legiones Astartes find distasteful and - this is important - unnecessary given all the firepower they can bring to bear.

Put it this way. Most Space Marines are a seven-foot-tall mix of Bruce Lee, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Usain Bolt, and Audie Murphy. If, one day, one of them opens the bulkhead to their quarters and gets sucked into the vacuum of space, does that mean the Alpha Legion are better warriors? Or does it simply indicate that they didn't expect someone they considered their ally to sneak aboard their battle-barge and cut a hole in the hull?

And once he does realize that the Alpha Legion are enemies, does the Space Marine's inability to counter their machinations indicate he is inferior in terms of martial prowess or intelligence to them? Or does it simply indicate that the Alpha Legion are far more experienced at this sort of thing, that the Space Marine is reacting (always a bad thing), and that there are a lot of things (like, a galaxy-wide war) distracting him from anticipating all sorts of devious espionage and sabotage?
post #43 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 07:29 AM
Grand Lord Munchkin

gen.ahab's Flag is: USA

This hurts me more than I can properly articulate using any of the languages of mankind, but.......

(Fuck my Space Wolf fanboy tendencies)

post #44 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 10:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phoebus View Post
At the end of the day, I honestly don't have a problem with what Alpha Legion has been shown to do. I don't think it comes down to an outright statement of unreasonable superiority on the part of the writers. The Legiones Astartes, for the most part, are a force that focuses on shock assault. They are an overt force that demolishes and annihilates whatever is put in front of them.

There are a few exceptions, to be sure. The Night Lords, for instance, are more likely to focus on terror operations, psychological warfare, and tactics that allow a collection of selfish, vicious criminals survive. The Raven Guard certainly employ stealth and heavily rely covert infiltration for their operations.

The Alpha Legion aren't so much better than the other Legions than that they simply chose to play a different game altogether. They succeed against their brother Legions not because they are necessarily stronger, faster, smarter, or whatever. They simply employ different tactics - ones that the other Legiones Astartes find distasteful and - this is important - unnecessary given all the firepower they can bring to bear.

Put it this way. Most Space Marines are a seven-foot-tall mix of Bruce Lee, Arnold Schwarzenegger, Usain Bolt, and Audie Murphy. If, one day, one of them opens the bulkhead to their quarters and gets sucked into the vacuum of space, does that mean the Alpha Legion are better warriors? Or does it simply indicate that they didn't expect someone they considered their ally to sneak aboard their battle-barge and cut a hole in the hull?

And once he does realize that the Alpha Legion are enemies, does the Space Marine's inability to counter their machinations indicate he is inferior in terms of martial prowess or intelligence to them? Or does it simply indicate that the Alpha Legion are far more experienced at this sort of thing, that the Space Marine is reacting (always a bad thing), and that there are a lot of things (like, a galaxy-wide war) distracting him from anticipating all sorts of devious espionage and sabotage?
If side B can't counter side A's tactics...but side A can counter side B's tactics...yes, I would say side A is superior to side B...at least vis-a-vis each other.

What you're saying is that side A is superior because it has more practice at and a greater talent for superior tactics other legions are unable to counter.
post #45 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 05:21 PM

Captain_Loken's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontytheMighty View Post
AL and SW...are underrated?

Excuse me for not knowing what you meant by "wanked legions".

SW is not over rated, but I believe AL is.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR HIS SKULL THRONE!
post #46 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-22-15, 02:18 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

I liked The Serpent Beneath as it showed the AL has faults as well and aren't as unified as one might expect. It broke their powerful infiltrators-image a little.
post #47 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-15, 12:50 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

post #48 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-15, 01:30 PM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post

Holy frekking shit guys! It looks amazing!
Mmmmm . . . other than the direction/angle of that sword swing which is both goofy and awkward.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #49 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-15, 02:00 PM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Lol at the mead mug attached to his belt.

Looks like he's raping Alpha Legionnaires.

And mirroring Kreuger, his raised fist post sword swing looks odd.

Last edited by Malus Darkblade; 09-23-15 at 02:09 PM.
post #50 of 79 (permalink) Old 09-23-15, 02:16 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Meh, I love it! Alaxxes for certain then. Hopefully see a good bit of Bjorn/Bear in it as well.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode