Age of Sigmar novels? - Page 2 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #11 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-15, 05:53 PM Thread Starter

Captain_Loken's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Angel of Blood View Post
Nah. Not all that interested in Age of Sigmar for the time being. I had a vague interest in Warhammer Fantasy as it was, but I really did enjoy the rich world, background and setting, immensely looking forward to the Total War game. But from what i've seen of Age of Sigmar. Nah.
I did actually mean WHFB novels as well, but I saw the AoS novels in my email.

Have you read any of the WHFB novels at all or did you just not get into those either?

It seems like a ton of people feel that way. I really liked WHFB over 40k because of the magic you could use and win an entire battle from it. Now 40k has the Psychic phase and pretty much does the same thing and it got rid of WHFB all together. Big bummer.

I just figured since I read a ton of the 40k novels, maybe the WHFB novels were just as good.

What I like is that some of the heros of Chaos actually show up in the 40k universe, after tens if not hundreds of thousands of years.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR HIS SKULL THRONE!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #12 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-15, 06:05 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Living in the Eye of Terror warps and stretches time incredibly. For most of the Traitor Legions, the Horus Heresy is still in recent memmory. From what I recall, it feels barely a few centuries ago for most Traitor Legionaries.

And regarding older Warhammer Fantasy books. The long running Gotrek and Felix series is pretty much the primary whfb series to dig into. And the Time of Legends books is also quite worth picking up. In particular the awesome Black Plague and Nagash series.

Practically everything by C.L. Werner, what he writes is pure gold in warhammer fantasy. His Skaven series with Thanquol, his Brunner series, his Witch Hunter series. The Red Duke. Steven saville's Von Carstein series. The ancient Drachenfels series with Genevive the vampire. Skarsnik by Guy Haley.
post #13 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-15, 07:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Lucian View Post
Living in the Eye of Terror warps and stretches time incredibly. For most of the Traitor Legions, the Horus Heresy is still in recent memmory. From what I recall, it feels barely a few centuries ago for most Traitor Legionaries.

And regarding older Warhammer Fantasy books. The long running Gotrek and Felix series is pretty much the primary whfb series to dig into. And the Time of Legends books is also quite worth picking up. In particular the awesome Black Plague and Nagash series.

Practically everything by C.L. Werner, what he writes is pure gold in warhammer fantasy. His Skaven series with Thanquol, his Brunner series, his Witch Hunter series. The Red Duke. Steven saville's Von Carstein series. The ancient Drachenfels series with Genevive the vampire. Skarsnik by Guy Haley.
I've been looking at a couple of the C.L. Werner books that look good.

What is your opinion of Valkia the Bloody by Sarah Cawkwell?

Or even Blood for the Blood God and Palace of the Plague God?

post #14 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-15, 08:13 PM

Yes, they are some quite good CL. Werner books. Palace of the Plague God was quite enjoyable, and so was his other chaos books Wulfrik and Blood for the Blood God. The last one Ive reread multiple times. They really give you a strong feeling for the norse and their culture.

Valkia is a decent read, if fairly short, novella sized. TBH its good, but it doesnt compare with the above books.
post #15 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-15, 09:22 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I've read the Sundering trilogy from the Time of Legends series. Figure I'll read the Sigmar and Nagash ones too at some point. Keep getting told to read Malus Darkblade, thought apparently no real conclusion to the series because of the End Times. Kind of want to read Archaon as well. But not much more than that.
post #16 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-15, 09:36 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Yes, they are some quite good CL. Werner books. Palace of the Plague God was quite enjoyable, and so was his other chaos books Wulfrik and Blood for the Blood God. The last one Ive reread multiple times. They really give you a strong feeling for the norse and their culture.

Valkia is a decent read, if fairly short, novella sized. TBH its good, but it doesnt compare with the above books.
I haven't heard of Wulfrik, so that's a new one I can look up! Thanks!

post #17 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-10-15, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Loken View Post
I haven't heard of Wulfrik, so that's a new one I can look up! Thanks!
Dont ignore his thanquol books, they are some of the funniest reads. Thanquol and Temple of the Serpent. I dont remember if there was a third or not.
post #18 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-15, 01:39 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
Dont ignore his thanquol books, they are some of the funniest reads. Thanquol and Temple of the Serpent. I dont remember if there was a third or not.
I will be sure to check them out!

What do you know about the Chaos series like Claws of Chaos, Blades of Chaos, and Heart of Chaos?

post #19 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-15, 07:55 AM

That series is also a good read, but theres better and more engaging reads, aka the CL. Werner chaos books imho.
post #20 of 31 (permalink) Old 09-11-15, 08:21 AM Thread Starter

Quote:
That series is also a good read, but theres better and more engaging reads, aka the CL. Werner chaos books imho.
Awesome, thanks for the recommendations!

I've also been looking into the vampire books too. Maybe for something different. It just seems like a whole new genre of novels. As does the entire Fantasy collection. After reading the 40k books for so long, it just seems so different now.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode