Ragnar Blackmane, written by ADB! - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-25-15, 11:41 AM
Nih

Nih's Flag is: USA

Man I want that book even considering my backlog. ;-; but the moneeeeeehs
I hope they offer a cheaper paperback version down the line.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-28-15, 07:24 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

They will. It will be released in every format, eventually. The question is, how long are you willing to wait?

Me, personally? I don't want to spend $65 on a novel that will, judging by the promotional art, be about 60% the size of one of A D-B's earlier novels. That having been said, I'm very picky when it comes to the quality of what I read, and I consider him to be at the top of what Black Library has to offer. I may buy this if for no other reason than to vote with my wallet and, hopefully, entice Black Library to exert as much pressure as they can to get him to write more... and faster.

post #43 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-28-15, 11:28 AM

evanswolves's Flag is: England

up now 176 pages

Last edited by evanswolves; 08-28-15 at 11:33 AM.

post #44 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-28-15, 12:18 PM

Grendelrt's Flag is: USA

ADB is my favorite author, Ragnar is one of my favorite characters, but 176 pages for 65 dollars....cant do it....I am out.
post #45 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-28-15, 12:38 PM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Anyone else get the impression BL has become a hobby rather than a job for the A list writers? They just seem to be dipping their toe in the water every now and then of late, with novellas and shorts.
post #46 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-28-15, 02:46 PM
Mob

Not a hobby, but just one avenue of work. I'm freelance, with three regular employers, and sometimes I work for one of them so much I'm putting in double full-time hours, other times I work fewer hours for all three at once, and sometimes I take a break from one of them for a longish while because it doesn't suit me, but pop back to do the odd thing here or there to keep the avenue open and because I like the work, even if I like the other work more.
I imagine the careers of these chaps are pretty much the same.

Anyway, I was never going to be to spending 40 quid on a BL novel anyway, but for 176 pages? Yeah right.
This artificial scarcity, abuse the target-market thing has gotten to genuinely funny levels now. This book can be magnetically sealed, guys! Now you want it, right?!
I look forward to the return of food colouring sealed into plastic to look like blood, and little dinky padlocks, and faction charms on wee chains and embossed holofoil covers oh wait that was comics.
post #47 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-28-15, 04:45 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

176 pages... for 40. Are they drunk?? They must be to think that this will be an item that everybody wants to have. I wouldn't buy this even if it was about Talos and First Claw.

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #48 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-28-15, 04:59 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

The pagecount for their limited releases have become sadder and sadder.
post #49 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-29-15, 02:52 AM
Deathwing Commissar

Phoebus's Flag is: USA

The justification will always be: "Wait a few months."

And they're right. We can. I chose not to, and I'll regret it later.

Bottom line, Black Library can certainly do a better of putting out a consistently better product, on a better schedule, and with better marketing. At the end of the day, though, they're putting out a luxury product that no one is forced to purchase.
post #50 of 96 (permalink) Old 08-29-15, 11:01 AM
csw

And they can cling to that justification while their audience shrinks as they grow sick of skyrocketing prices, scattershot releases, lack of communication, and shriveling content.

It says something when the first edition of Talon of Horus actually brought their servers to a screeching halt and was basically sold out as soon as it became available, while they're still trying to sell a book by Aaron Dembski-Bowden, one of their most beloved and acclaimed authors, about Ragnar Blackmane, one of their oldest and fan-favorite characters.

It says something when people used to pitch fits at their pricing and policies, their increasingly evident contempt for the customer, and now it gets met with nary a shrug and a blase "I'll pass."

The antithesis of love is not hate, but apathy. That applies to businesses as well. Of course outraged customers are an issue, but you know what? Those customers are still engaged, and still invested. When your customers just go, "Meh" and move on by, you've really lost them: they're disengaged, they're no longer invested, and it's one very small step until they're no longer your customers.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode