First half 2016 releases - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-10-15, 08:05 PM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Loken View Post
Just curious, but why didn't you like Sorcerer?
My oppinion. Ahriman looking too much like a moustache twirling villain whom is constantly going 'just as planned' Hopefully Ahriman will have far more of a focus on his rubric project in sorcerer, instead of trying to mastermind convoluted machiavelian plots. And showing just WHY he is the Chief Librarian of the Thousand Sons Legion.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-11-15, 11:32 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Loken View Post
Just curious, but why didn't you like Sorcerer?

Also, there is no hope that Black Legion is good. It WILL be good.
This is a copypaste for a book-review I wrote about the novel. I usualy do videos for these but here you go in advance.

"So after reading this, I am heavily disappointed. The first book I could forgive as it was the supposedly origin story of what Ahriman is to become. But in this book doesn't explore deeper into the character of Ahriman nor the Thousand Sons Legion after the Rubric-spell. I'm not sure what French want to do with Ahriman, as he is neither a loyal renegade that wants to do good where the means serves the ending results, and neither is he evil just for his own purpose. He walks somewhere in between and is just blank. The First Prince showed some potential of Ahriman being ignorant of his enslavement to Tzeentch, and the conversation between him and Be’lakor, which is a daemon who also thinks himself being free but still is enslaved to a certain degree.

But neither of the short The Dead Oracle or the audio drama The First Prince and the consequences which happened in them are mentioned at all in this novel. It's like they never existed in some ways. French had some huge potential to expand on the fact that Ahriman deals with the powers of Tzeentch and tries to save his Legion, only to slowly be corrupted in the process.

It is frequently mentioned that Ahriman wants to save the Legion from the Rubric, and that is why he seeks out the Athenaeum of Kallimakus. But just as French doesn't explore deeper into Ahriman and the Thousand Sons, he forgets to explore the Rubricae. The ghost brothers of the Thousand Sons that suffered a horrible fate. In French short All is Dust and somewhat in Exile, he explored the Rubricae and made them as actual characters. ADB also did this in Talon of Horus, and actually makes these stone-warriors as silent characters that you care and feels sorrow for.

But in this story they are nameless and faceless unknown characters. How are we supposed to care about Ahrimans quest if French doesn't explore what Ahriman actually tries to save? At the same time we get a few references and connections to the character of Iskandar Khayon, the main-character in Talon of Horus and the POW the story is told from. French had a great opportunity to write a flashback with the interaction between Khayon and some of the characters in this novel. Instead he is mentioned just in the pass-by 3 times or so.

My next issue is that we won't get to know something in particular about the Athenaeum of Kallimakus which was first mentioned in the 6th Ed CSM Codex. It was a small passage which talked about the character Kallimakus who had a special bond with Magnus the Red and wrote secret dangerous lore. Exploring this place would have been fantastic, but it was overshadowed with a unnecessary space-battle with the Inquisition and Grey Knights. They shouldn't even be there if you ask me.

Now we can talk about the characters. Ahriman I've already talked about. Other characters that followed over from Exile are the 2 surviving Space Marines of an unknown Chapter. One of them dies in the 2nd scene he appears in, and I felt nothing for him. The other I'm not sure what actually happened to as he appeared to have died in some instances, and then he survived in others. French wrote one thing good here which I felt was very Tzeentch, and that is the time-paradox of how their Chapter became doomed. Their Chapter is marked for death for unknown reasons, 4 of them survive and end up in the Warp, they begin to serve Ahriman, one of them becomes captured only for us readers to find out that through some time-travel, he ends up outside of the Warp before his Chapter is marked for death. That is a small thing and the only interesting and good about those characters.

We are then introduced to 2 new Thousand Sons-characters. The first one is called Sanakht, who was actually introduced in an audio drama called Lucius the Eternal Blade, written by Graham McNeill. He is interesting as he is a swordsman and never suffered from the Rubric, other than that his powers diminished because of it. I found him to be cool, and then it was really sad to see he was turned into a villain with no real motive other than "We should kill Ahriman for the sake of it." He was wasted in that moment. It had a nice turn-around at the end as we get to see Ahriman knew this all along. But the problem is, as Ahriman sacrifices Sanakht, he felt nothing as it was beating an necessary opponent rather that sacrificing someone we cared for.

The other character is called Ignis and he was also interesting as he sees numbers and calculates everything. But he as well at first seemed to suffer from the whole "We must kill Ahriman for the sake of it!" until the final revelation that he was serving Ahriman all along.

I was to be honest, disappointed with the novel. Not only the lack of exploration of the things already mentioned, but also playing around too much with some established lore and changing it. I am all for changes, but this weren't changes in a good way. It had some small highlights that made it somewhat worth reading. I will in the future give my recommendations on how to fix the Ahriman-series, as there wouldn't be more room left in this review.
"

I did write a "How to fix the novels!" as well.

"So I've had my huge problems with Ahriman Sorcerer so I wanted to make a special extra video on how to fix all this with my comments on how you could do with it all. It should be noted I really like John French, he is a great guy and always responds on social media and he knows how to write. I just don't like how things turned out here.

First in Exile. I like that Ahriman starts out at the bottom of things due to his Exile. I also liked the tension of the Brotherhood of Dust searching for him. My biggest problem is though that he is gathering up with some Space Marines of an unknown Chapter, they are all irritating and unlikeable. We don't get to see the brotherhood between them, which is one of the things which made the Night Lords-trilogy so fun to read. Especially since these Space Marines are more or less wasted in the 2nd novel, they served little to no purpose. My first fix would then be to remove these characters and add some actual Thousand Sons for us to bond with, alternative some sorcerers who wants to follow Ahriman.

Then we have Ahriman as a character. I can buy the whole thing that he hasn't fallen into corruption just yet, and he tries to do his thing. But then I would do the 2nd fix, and that is to make him more like the development which Eisenhorn did in Dan Abnetts Eisenhorn-trilogy. Either you make him a good character that has to do bad things, and in the process becomes the thing he is fighting, or make him a bad character from the start, like the Word Bearers in Anthony Reynolds trilogy. French has him right now in a weird middle way, which makes it hard for me a reader. I do not know if I should root for him, or hope that he fails.

My next thing would be to deal much more of Ahrimans corruption. He is supposed to be the main front-guy for Tzeentch, but there has been little to no indication of slowly falling into Tzeentch's grasp. Heck let him use more spells and sorcery that has dire consequences.

The next thing I would do is to work more with flashbacks. Reynolds used them more sparingly than perhaps ADB, but either ways worked out fine. Especially was it great reading more about Talos during the Great Crusade, the Heresy and the Scouring that came after. There has been very few flashbacks, and one in particularly I would want to see more of is the interaction between Ahriman and Magnus the Red prior, during and the consequences after the Rubric-Spell.

Also since both he and ADB have a Thousand Son as the main-character in both their series, I would want to see more flashbacks of them together and see their relationship with each other.

My next fix would be in the novel Sorcerer. You saw my review of that I hope. First I would focus more the relationships of Ahriman and those who serve him, and especially give Ahriman more screen time. I would remove the whole Grey Knight from the story. The obsessive Inquisitor could remain, but I would place him rather as a castellan of the Athenaeum of Kallimakus rather than the liberator.

In that novel I think he should have developed brotherhood between Ahriman and Sanakht, rather than making him the bad guy right in the end. It would have been much more sad to read about how Ahriman betrays Sanakht to gain all the knowledge rather than Sanakht betraying Ahriman and becomes a plot- convenience. I would also have wanted to see more about the Athenaeum and what it actually contained. It was so fussy on the details.

John French still has potential to involve all these things in the novel, or I really hope he tries to bring into a 2nd trilogy about Ahriman and this time make it better.
"
post #33 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-17-15, 11:47 PM Thread Starter

You want more ?

Ok ! :D

Quote:
After centuries of peace, the Imperium is thrown into panic as human worlds everywhere are menaced by orks. In a relentless tide of slaughter, ork attack moons destroy planet after planet with gravity weapons of unstoppable power. On Terra, the High Lords are paralysed by the scale of the threat, and fail to take any effective action. With entire Space Marine Chapters missing, or known to have been wiped out, does anyone have the will and the power to rise to the Imperium’s defence?

Quote:
As ork ships lay waste to world after world, heading inexorably towards Terra, Imperial citizens despair. The High Lords become desperate to prove that victory is possible, no matter the cost. A massive Navy fleet is assembled – their mission to make a definitive strike against the orks at Port Sanctus, an area of enemy-held space. But when the Imperial armada arrives, they find themselves outclassed and outmanoeuvred – can human courage and faith possibly prevail against such terrible odds?

Quote:
Despite the Imperium’s best attempts to forestall the ork plague that is wrecking havoc in human space, an ork attack moon now hangs over Terra. As its malevolent presence gazes down at the Imperial Palace, terrified citizens run riot in the streets. In a last-ditch attempt to destroy the attack moon, a proletarian crusade is launched. Thousands of ships large and small head to the moon carrying billions of citizens, all eager to take the fight to the enemy. It seems the attack has a chance of success as the invasion force lands safely, but the orks have yet to spring their trap...

Quote:
The Imperium’s situation has never been more grim – an ork attack moon hangs over Terra, and ork armadas ravage human space. To make matters even worse, eldar strike at the heart of the Imperial Palace, forcing humanity’s defenders to fight on two fronts at once. Though it seems nothing can stop the orks – neither brute force, science, nor faith – an unlikely alliance in the furthest reaches of space uncovers the first clue how to defeat the greenskins. The Adeptus Astartes now face an almost impossible task - taking news of this discovery back to Terra through a galaxy teaming with orks.
The two first The End Times omnibuses, 2 novels + short stories (ebook)

And I guess that confirms Flesh Tearers as an anthology (not a new cover, this from Flesh of Cretacia).

No cover yet for the first one, I Am Slaughter. Hope you liked this new covers. ;)

All new Black Library titles, cover, reviews and interviews here:

===> Twitter Black Librarium <===

Black Library upcoming books 2015 and 2016

Last edited by Death Nikorps; 08-17-15 at 11:55 PM.

post #34 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-15, 02:08 PM
I am Alpharius.

Doelago's Flag is: Finland

Really like the artwork for the Ork series, but the The Beast Arises logo really ruins the overall look of the cover in my eyes. Somewhat worried over what the quality of the writing will end up being.

[Flerden] 9:05 pm: Why the hell can't he just go offline if he goes to watc tv?
[dark angel] 9:06 pm: It is Doelago, we will never know
post #35 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-15, 02:51 PM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doelago View Post
Really like the artwork for the Ork series, but the The Beast Arises logo really ruins the overall look of the cover in my eyes. Somewhat worried over what the quality of the writing will end up being.
I would agree that the covers look amazing, but I'm scheptical on the writers and Orks Vs. humans are rarely interesting to read in bigger amounts. But I like the effort they are putting into all this.
post #36 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-15, 05:24 PM

Captain_Loken's Flag is: USA

Interested in the Flesh Tearers book. Looks awesome!

Not familiar with a lot of those authors, however, so I'm not too sure about all that. Lets hope this Andy Smille does a good representation

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR HIS SKULL THRONE!
post #37 of 52 (permalink) Old 08-18-15, 06:06 PM
Chaos God of Old Night

Lord of the Night's Flag is: United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Nikorps View Post
The Imperium’s situation has never been more grim – an ork attack moon hangs over Terra, and ork armadas ravage human space. To make matters even worse, eldar strike at the heart of the Imperial Palace, forcing humanity’s defenders to fight on two fronts at once. Though it seems nothing can stop the orks – neither brute force, science, nor faith – an unlikely alliance in the furthest reaches of space uncovers the first clue how to defeat the greenskins. The Adeptus Astartes now face an almost impossible task - taking news of this discovery back to Terra through a galaxy teaming with orks.

I NEED TO READ THAT!!!!!!!!!

This series is going to be absolutely epic if it's written well. I can't wait. (Also, that's Eldrad Ulthran on the cover of the last book, I am sure.)

LotN

https://www.heresy-online.net/forums/...red-souls.html - The Kabal of Shattered Souls Project Log
http://www.talkwargaming.com/search/...Book%20Reviews - Check out Talk Wargaming for reviews by Lord of the Night.
post #38 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-21-15, 11:29 PM Thread Starter

The Beast Arises book 1 cover

All new Black Library titles, cover, reviews and interviews here:

===> Twitter Black Librarium <===

Black Library upcoming books 2015 and 2016
post #39 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-22-15, 12:51 AM
Critique for da CriticGod

Kreuger's Flag is: USA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Death Nikorps View Post
The Beast Arises book 1 cover

Oh, that's Zangief in the 41 millennium. He's a space marine. Big surprise.

Chaos Army Showcase with photos (Updated 2013/12/02)
"To endure one's self is perhaps the hardest task in the universe." Frank Herbert, 'Dune Messiah'
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dethklokk
"CHEESE!" is the battlecry of the ill-prepared.

Originally Posted by Deathscythe4722
Could someone please call the police on this guy? I can hear the English Language screaming in pain. This has to be illegal somewhere.
post #40 of 52 (permalink) Old 09-22-15, 12:59 AM

Malus Darkblade's Flag is: Kuwait

Not a fan of these hyper-realistic faces. Looks like an actual person you'd see on the street.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode