Night Lords Novels - Page 4 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #31 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-15, 08:01 PM
Mob

I'm not sure what sections you're referring to in particular, but there's a lot of thematic stuff in that novel that sets the characters up as being in a believable frame of mind to do what they do, and what the novel is about.

I'd say emotional state rather than frame of mind, but I'm not sure that would be an accurate phrase for space marines. They're all 'philosophically' damaged, or damaged in their ideals/beliefs/purpose for keeping going. I imagine you know the point of the book's story, but I don't want to spoil until you get there. The author is creating depth to the characters so you can see why they end up making the choice they do.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-03-15, 08:02 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

I like it. I like to read more than bolter born. The philosophical thoughts and conversations if nothing else just show me the writer is actually very good and accomplished at writing and putting more complex literary ideas and concepts down. It's where other authors like Ben Counter and James Swallow fall short for me. Everything with them is just very obvious, blunt and uninspired. Any time they try to go for more complex or idiosyncratic ideas etc, they just don't pull it off.
post #33 of 47 (permalink) Old 08-04-15, 12:37 AM Thread Starter

Captain_Loken's Flag is: USA

Right on.

I'm a little past chapter 10 and haven't seen any signs of Abaddon yet, just talk about him.

I also was referring to the first few chapters. It almost seemed like the author was trying to speak to the reader. I did find that interesting. Sometimes in random sections I will see philosophical talk about something else, not always pertaining to the story. Usually background on the Eye or the Warp.

I think I can used to it. I'm so used to Jeff Grubb and Dan Abnet's writing.

BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD! SKULLS FOR HIS SKULL THRONE!

post #34 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-15, 09:22 AM Thread Starter

I have to add to this as I'm finally getting to the Night Lords books and finished the first one and I'm half way through the second book.

I seriously disliked Soul Hunter. The story line was great, and quite unique. Not too fond of the main character, but I can look past it. I feel that the execution of the writing could have been way better. Unfortunately, even looking past the horrendous grammatical errors on almost every page, the style of writing put me off.

So, after reading this one, I almost just gave up and continued on with the stack of books that I intend to read. I thought long and hard after I got a decent .mobi of Ahriman:Unchanged that was finally available to download. I decided to continue on and give Blood Reaver a try. I couldn't understand why ADB wrote like that, as I read The Talon of Horus and absolutely loved it. Luckily, Blood Reaver is written much better, maybe not as good as everyone says, but I understand now where the mixed reviews that I read, when I first posted this thread, came from.

Another thing I want to mention, but I don't remember if anyone told me (I have a condition... from combat) when I asked about what books the Red Corsairs were in, I don't think I heard they were in Blood Reaver. I doubt they're big in it, but I've never read about them, and ADB's portrayal of them is quite humorous.

Sorry, but I was hoping to get some individual reviews on the individual novels. What do you guys think are the good qualities of each one, and what about some of the things you think could be changed?

Last edited by Captain_Loken; 09-24-15 at 09:24 AM.
post #35 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-15, 09:42 AM
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain_Loken View Post
I have to add to this as I'm finally getting to the Night Lords books and finished the first one and I'm half way through the second book.

I seriously disliked Soul Hunter. The story line was great, and quite unique. Not too fond of the main character, but I can look past it. I feel that the execution of the writing could have been way better. Unfortunately, even looking past the horrendous grammatical errors on almost every page, the style of writing put me off.

So, after reading this one, I almost just gave up and continued on with the stack of books that I intend to read. I thought long and hard after I got a decent .mobi of Ahriman:Unchanged that was finally available to download. I decided to continue on and give Blood Reaver a try. I couldn't understand why ADB wrote like that, as I read The Talon of Horus and absolutely loved it. Luckily, Blood Reaver is written much better, maybe not as good as everyone says, but I understand now where the mixed reviews that I read, when I first posted this thread, came from.

Another thing I want to mention, but I don't remember if anyone told me (I have a condition... from combat) when I asked about what books the Red Corsairs were in, I don't think I heard they were in Blood Reaver. I doubt they're big in it, but I've never read about them, and ADB's portrayal of them is quite humorous.

Sorry, but I was hoping to get some individual reviews on the individual novels. What do you guys think are the good qualities of each one, and what about some of the things you think could be changed?
The gildar rift have a major focus on Huron Blackheart, as well the short story the Tyrants champion.
post #36 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-15, 09:47 AM Thread Starter

Very cool. Thanks a bunch!

post #37 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-24-15, 11:57 AM

Count_the_Seven's Flag is: Scotland

Storm of Iron is decent. Essentially a story about Honsou the half blood in the Iron Warriors.

Without wishing to spoil it - he's a survivor from the HH days, let's leave it at that... :-)

I like the story, though it is a bit old now.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-prod...ron-ebook.html

CtS
post #38 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-15, 08:41 AM

Chaosveteran's Flag is: Russia

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count_the_Seven View Post
Storm of Iron is decent. Essentially a story about Honsou the half blood in the Iron Warriors.

Without wishing to spoil it - he's a survivor from the HH days, let's leave it at that... :-)

I like the story, though it is a bit old now.

http://www.blacklibrary.com/all-prod...ron-ebook.html

CtS
I totally concur! If you want a CSM book where the bad guys actually win for a change, go for Storm of Iron. You'll absolutely love it!
post #39 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-15, 12:55 PM

Roninman's Flag is: Finland

Storm of iron is quite good, actually i think was first CSM novel i read many years ago. Dont think OP can post right now to reply anyway..
post #40 of 47 (permalink) Old 09-29-15, 01:40 PM
piemelke's Flag is: Belgium

I was under the impression that Honsou was not around during the HH, at least not as an IW

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode