HH Deathfire comming Sat 27th june - Page 5 - Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums
Black Library Fiction Here is where you can discuss your favourite Black Library publications and graphic novels. If it's published by Black Library it goes here.

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
post #41 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 12:20 PM

Andy Smilie would be a good choice! But has he actually written a full BL novel yet, everything I've seen is shorts and novellas?

Anyway is there any evidence behind the idea that JS wont be coming back? I know writers like Gav have taken very long breaks between Horus Heresy books. Hes still writing shorts and dramas so maybe hes just waiting for the right time? If he is writing a fall of the Death Guard book that would happen right before Terra, so holding the book back for the rest of the series to catch up make sense. Especially as the DG's earlier exploits have appeared a lot in Scars/ Vengeful spirit and Death Fire recently. Plus hes working on the new Deus Ex game, which I Imagine would eat up a lot of time.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #42 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 12:50 PM Thread Starter
Brother Lucian's Flag is: Denmark

Quote:
Originally Posted by csw View Post
So Swallow gets "demoted" but Kyme gets a trilogy after Vulkan Lives?

Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha.

Just to correct you, his trillogy is Vulkan Lives, Deathfire and one more upcomming book.
post #43 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 02:22 PM
The Emperor Protects

Angel of Blood's Flag is: Wales

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamingharry View Post
Did people really think Fear to Tread was that bad? I only recently read it and thought it was great! Plus wasn't it the best selling book in the series so far? If that is the case that's a real shame, really enjoyed James' stuff and was hoping for something from him beyond knights errant.
Hated it. Bland, unengaging characters and zero feel or appearance that they were in one of the most hideous battles of the Heresy.

post #44 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-02-15, 02:58 PM
Mob

Quote:

I hope this is not the case. I know Nick's day-job may make him a preferable choice to commission for novels as someone reliable to deliver a 'company-approved product', but come on. Swallow actually has some talent. Nick writes battle reports interspersed with soap opera arguments, all with the aid of a thesaurus and a high school understanding of literary references.

FtT's biggest flaw, for me, is that things just happen one after the other and everyone reacts and is described accordingly. Swallow seems to do this whenever the warp is involved in the plot (see: the back half of FotE) and I don't think it creates the effect I figure he intends it to. It makes things seem a bit flat rather than exciting. I kind of liked the Apothecary though.
post #45 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-03-15, 07:39 AM

forkmaster's Flag is: Sweden

Quote:

As said, just rumors which I can't support. Nick Kyme I believe has a rather huge following which really likes his books, which I believe justifies his continued support to write more books in the series. I for one is alright with him writing about the Salamanders, just as long as he stays away from other bigger characters.
post #46 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-13-15, 10:05 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Finished this last night. What a fucking turkey. I was rooting for the bad guys by the end of it. As for a trilogy, VL and this are the first two of the three as confirmed by Kyme in his afterword. So yes, sadly we'll be seeing at least one more book from him in the series.

Some gripes.

I'm sure more will come to me as I think about.
post #47 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-13-15, 10:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Finished this last night. What a fucking turkey. I was rooting for the bad guys by the end of it. As for a trilogy, VL and this are the first two of the three as confirmed by Kyme in his afterword. So yes, sadly we'll be seeing at least one more book from him in the series.

Some gripes.

I'm sure more will come to me as I think about.
Please don't tell me he fugged up Magnus and the Thousand Sons just as they were supposed to be in the book as well? Which POWs do we get?
post #48 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-13-15, 11:15 AM
Dazed and confused.

Khorne's Fist's Flag is: Ireland

Magnus appears for about a page and a half. No sign of a single TS. No POWs either.
post #49 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-13-15, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Khorne's Fist View Post
Magnus appears for about a page and a half. No sign of a single TS. No POWs either.
Oh I meant like 3rd person-interaction between any of the traitor Legions, like we saw the interaction between a couple of Word Bearers in Vulkan Lives, or are they all unnamed unknown faceless protagonists?
post #50 of 62 (permalink) Old 07-13-15, 05:30 PM
Mob

Quote:
Originally Posted by forkmaster View Post
Oh I meant like 3rd person-interaction between any of the traitor Legions, like we saw the interaction between a couple of Word Bearers in Vulkan Lives, or are they all unnamed unknown faceless protagonists?
There's a Word Bearers end-of-level boss, a Word Bearers mid-level boss, and a Death Guard final boss. They variously talk to each at certain points. Don't get your hopes up if you like traitor/traitor interaction beyond 'baha i will betray you' 'not if I betray you first'.

I don't know if we're doing spoilers, so I'll just say there is another marine from a traitor legion in the book, and his plot is at least interesting, if kind of dumb and seemingly pointless.

Lower Navigation
Go Back   Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums > Fiction, Art and Roleplay Game Discussion > Black Library Fiction

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the Wargaming Forum and Wargamer Forums forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.

User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.

Password:

Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid email address for yourself.

Email Address:
OR

Log-in

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page
Linear Mode Linear Mode